• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introducing Directiva - An ASR open source platform speaker project

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
From what I can see by a quick look both VCAD and WinISD have decent size databases. However, neither is suitable to my purpose, which is to quickly "scroll through" drivers (preferably with min-max diameter and power limits), eliminate the unsuitable ones and feed the suitable ones to a list (favourites). This will allow the designer to then use the secondary criteria to reduce the list even further (like price, availability, diameter, power handling, etc.) This will make the life of DIY speaker builder much more easier than having to select each driver one by one and relying on memory. In short I'm looking for a tool that helps me to select drivers suitable for my enclosure.

Meanwhile, Speaker Box Lite seems to have range selection for various criteria. I will spend more time on this and report. If it interests me enough I will create a new thread in order not to pollute this thread further.

Thank you for helping this 71 year old ex-speaker manufacturer who has not been involved with speaker design since mid 90s. :)
Try playing around with the 'Filter' settings in the enclosure tool.

I admit, its not novice friendly. But its form follows function, and its very good once you got it figured out.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Try playing around with the 'Filter' settings in the enclosure tool.

I admit, its not novice friendly. But its form follows function, and its very good once you got it figured out.
I don't want it for me. I do not need a software for complex calculations. I'm a experienced designer who had designed and manufactured speakers that sold by tens of thousands in the past. I still have my LEAP licenses. I am now retired but still interested with the subject.

I am now trying to find a tool that will help a DIY speaker designer to create a short-list among the thousands of driver on the market. Even though the choice is huge in reality your criteria is dictated by the enclosure size/type and is limited. An experienced person can guess what TS parameters to look for and what to avoid. However, this is not true for a hobbyist. I am searching a tool for them.

Last edited:

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From what I can see by a quick look both VCAD and WinISD have decent size databases. However, neither is suitable to my purpose, which is to quickly "scroll through" drivers (preferably with min-max diameter and power limits), eliminate the unsuitable ones and feed the suitable ones to a list (favourites). This will allow the designer to then use the secondary criteria to reduce the list even further (like price, availability, diameter, power handling, etc.)
I understand what you're asking for & why none of these tools score, but don't miss the Filter button at top of VCAD's Enclosure tool. You'll still need to click into each driver, but being able to show only those with, e.g., Sd from 330 to 360, Qts from .40 to .55, and Xmax > 8mm certainly helps find the target. You can sort the results by clicking the column header, as usual.

Better, the filter includes all of the fields. Where else can you filter & sort by BL^2/Re?

Last note, the database is CSV, so go wild with Excel if you really miss something such as Vd.

Edit: McFly!

headshake

I was just about to mention the filters which have a min/max range.
short-list among the thousands of driver on the market.
How often do you need to search thousands? Maybe I don't understand the starting point. I don't treat all brands equally nor do some brands have accurate T/S params. So now I am down to a handful of manufacturers.

@HammerSandwich is spot on. Just update the vcad database with what you want. The window for typing new T/S params stays on top so you can enter it while manufacturer specs are open.

I guess it would be cool to setup some web scrapers for some manufacturers to keep VCAD up to date.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I don't want it for me. I do not need a software for complex calculations. I'm a experienced designer who had designed and manufactured speakers that sold by tens of thousands in the past. I still have my LEAP licenses. I am now retired but still interested with the subject.

I am now trying to find a tool that will help a DIY speaker designer to create a short-list among the thousands of driver on the market. Even though the choice is huge in reality your criteria is dictated by the enclosure size/type and is limited. An experienced person can guess what TS parameters to look for and what to avoid. However, this is not true for a hobbyist. I am searching a tool for them.
https://www.petoindominique.fr/php/mysql_multihp1.php

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At a crossover frequency of 80Hz, the Xmax of the woofer no longer plays a role. Before this limit is reached, the woofer gets thermal problems.
View attachment 157403

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the information you just shared in combination with the fact that the woofer produces little distortion within Xmax doesn't that mean that for a 80Hz crossover running these drivers in parallel in one enclosure would provide an insane amount of clean output and headroom?

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the information you just shared in combination with the fact that the woofer produces little distortion within Xmax doesn't that mean that for a 80Hz crossover running these drivers in parallel in one enclosure would provide an insane amount of clean output and headroom?
But then another woofer would maybe be more appropriate, like in example the PTT6.5W04-NFA

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
However, with two drivers in parallel, the 8 ohm version of the woofer should be used.
Sorry i meant parallel circuits (two amplifiers for two woofers and one amplifier for the tweeter, something like the Hypex Fusion Amplifiers series that end with 3 instead of 2) not a parallel configuration in one circuit.

There is nothing wrong with a parallel configuration in one circuit, but i can't think of any other easy to use two-channel commercial amplifier designs in which a lot of wattage would not be wasted on the tweeter.

I don't know whether the 4 ohm driver can handle bursts of 500W (Hypex FA503) but if linear excursion is still not exhausted as you say it would make one LOUD speaker for Home Cinema / Far-Field Hi-Fi.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know whether the 4 ohm driver can handle bursts of 500W (Hypex FA503) but if linear excursion is still not exhausted as you say it would make one LOUD speaker for Home Cinema / Far-Field Hi-Fi.
But that would also be a completely different loudspeaker that would have to be redesigned.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But that would also be a completely different loudspeaker that would have to be redesigned.

I thought that was implied as there is no way the current enclosure can fit a hypex fusion amplifer. :)

It might be a good direction for a future project since it won't require an overly complicated enclosure and the results could be phenomenal as small, loud and with a flat frequency response is a niche in the market that hasn't been perfectly tackled in the industry.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@ctrl

Could you please show how the tuning will be if the design was sealed? I typically don't like anything in the rear of my speakers and it would be one thing less to do when I build the speaker.

I'm hoping the response would be flat to 80Hz (or at least the LF roll-off would be @80Hz) .

Btw, if you want better alignment, the Linkwitz transform can be applied for a more ideal sealed design. For the minidsp, there is a calculator spreadsheet here.

Here is an example using the VCAD calc for the r1 cabinet and the result. See the app note for how to optimize using nearfield measurements.

1633517859396.png

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Btw, if you want better alignment, the Linkwitz transform can be applied for a more ideal sealed design. For the minidsp, there is a calculator spreadsheet here.

Here is an example using the VCAD calc for the r1 cabinet and the result. See the app note for how to optimize using nearfield measurements.

View attachment 157487
Thank you for sharing! I was actually exactly looking for the F(0) and Q(0) if the enclosure was sealed :)

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for sharing! I was actually exactly looking for the F(0) and Q(0) if the enclosure was sealed :)

The example is using a sealed r1 cabinet. The transform only works on sealed speakers. :cool:

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Btw, my f0 includes using the v20 crossover as-is (option in the VCAD enclosure tool). Would do the measurements for better results anyway.

This could be changed without an issue and the transform still can be applied. No dogs or bricks needed! ;)

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I thought that was implied as there is no way the current enclosure can fit a hypex fusion amplifer. :)

It might be a good direction for a future project since it won't require an overly complicated enclosure and the results could be phenomenal as small, loud and with a flat frequency response is a niche in the market that hasn't been perfectly tackled in the industry.

*coughs and raises hand timidly* :D

Top Bottom