• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Info. on new Matrix Audio mini-i

donmiller714

What I don't see mentioned in this thread is using Audirvana instead of Roon to stream to this box. I just bought the pro yesterday and was planning on using Audirvana instead of Roon to get my full MQA decoding of Tidal Masters. Also planning to stream LDAP over BT to my Sony 1000xm3's.

@MatrixAudio I assume that since my install of Audirvana can see my Denon receiver and stream Tidal Masters to that with the "first" unfold decoded already, it would also be able to see a networked mini-i pro and stream to that instead. Is this not the case? Thanks!

mdl

What I don't see mentioned in this thread is using Audirvana instead of Roon to stream to this box. I just bought the pro yesterday and was planning on using Audirvana instead of Roon to get my full MQA decoding of Tidal Masters. Also planning to stream LDAP over BT to my Sony 1000xm3's.

@MatrixAudio I assume that since my install of Audirvana can see my Denon receiver and stream Tidal Masters to that with the "first" unfold decoded already, it would also be able to see a networked mini-i pro and stream to that instead. Is this not the case? Thanks!
How are you getting on? Are you able to use audirvana? As the mini is not a uPnP device I guess it's not likely...although it's roon ready...what a conundrum:)

donmiller714

How are you getting on? Are you able to use audirvana? As the mini is not a uPnP device I guess it's not likely...although it's roon ready...what a conundrum:)
I don't have the Mini yet, but my 4500h is connected to the network. I simply installed the trial of Audirvana on my PC and downloaded the iOS app for same. Audirvana supports Tidal, so I plugged in my Tidal subscription and wa-la! It plays first unfold masters directly to the 4500h, but the app has to be running on on my PC for the iOS app to work (otherwise the iOS app has no source). I'm thinking that since the Mini is a streamer, it will replace the 4500h in that chain, then I'll just RCA over to the 4500h from there.

mdl

I don't have the Mini yet, but my 4500h is connected to the network. I simply installed the trial of Audirvana on my PC and downloaded the iOS app for same. Audirvana supports Tidal, so I plugged in my Tidal subscription and wa-la! It plays first unfold masters directly to the 4500h, but the app has to be running on on my PC for the iOS app to work (otherwise the iOS app has no source). I'm thinking that since the Mini is a streamer, it will replace the 4500h in that chain, then I'll just RCA over to the 4500h from there.
That would be nice keep us posted!

mdl

I've decided to take the risk and keep the mini in the hope tidal connect will be enabled:)) finger crossed :!;)

donmiller714

um... not an immediate fan of Roon over the AirPlay interface -- didn't know this until I downloaded the trial. Sure you can stream MQA from Tidal, but good luck getting any resolution out of it beyond CD quality. I have an android tv w/ chrome cast that seems to work (digital input to the AVR over ARC/HDMI) but I can't tell what bitrate I'm getting at all, so very unsatisfying. Whereas Audirvana sends the full res first decode directly over the network and I can see I'm getting 88/96 and 24 bits.

...did the whole Roon test in case I can't get Audirvana to talk to the mini-i pro 3...

mdl

um... not an immediate fan of Roon over the AirPlay interface -- didn't know this until I downloaded the trial. Sure you can stream MQA from Tidal, but good luck getting any resolution out of it beyond CD quality. I have an android tv w/ chrome cast that seems to work (digital input to the AVR over ARC/HDMI) but I can't tell what bitrate I'm getting at all, so very unsatisfying. Whereas Audirvana sends the full res first decode directly over the network and I can see I'm getting 88/96 and 24 bits.

...did the whole Roon test in case I can't get Audirvana to talk to the mini-i pro 3...
Did the Roon test work?

donmiller714

I've decided to take the risk and keep the mini in the hope tidal connect will be enabled:)) finger crossed :!;)
yea, I think I like the mini-i pro specs on paper and the price point so much that I may just have to sacrifice and use roon. let's hope the mini-i will show us what's coming out the rca's after decoding the mqa from tidal.

mdl

yea, I think I like the mini-i pro specs on paper and the price point so much that I may just have to sacrifice and use roon. let's hope the mini-i will show us what's coming out the rca's after decoding the mqa from tidal.
So far on Qubuz hi Res 192khz/24 bit with laptop and usb connection I'm very very impressed...airy ,detailed , dynamic range almost difficult to believe for players of this price point. I wouldn't say it transfigured my system buy it's here to stay

donmiller714

...clearly I'm overthinking this...

If you really wanted to use a upnp endpoint with the mini-i, so you could use Audirvana for example rather than pay for roon, I found this:

mdl

...clearly I'm overthinking this...

If you really wanted to use a upnp endpoint with the mini-i, so you could use Audirvana for example rather than pay for roon, I found this:
very interesting!!Than you! I went up to check the latest RaspberryPI signature:)
Anyway...I will also try and use Audirvana from the Laptop and stream directly. I guess you would always need the laptop instead of a mobile/tablet if you want to stream directly into the mini and get better than Airplay 16bit/44.1KHz. By the way :LDAC Bluetooth get up to 96KHz (with all the sonic limitation of the LDAC compression).
It's frustrating that Qubuz can see my Googlecast as a direct stream (and apparently you could get up to 24bit/96KHz but not Tidal MQA with google cast).

No answers from Matrix audio though. It's a bit frustrating:()

donmiller714

so just received my mini-i pro 3. Roon reports it is not certified yet and it appears to be streaming via airplay! WHAT AN EFFING DISAPPOINTMENT! I have no idea at this point if I haven't configured it correctly or what. It shows the device in roon ready section, and in the other network section, which is where you can enable it (can't enable in the "roon ready" section). After spending nearly $1k on this device, it should just effing work! right? likely will return this device because if I can't stream mqa then what good is it? @MatrixAudio Are you guys listening?!!?!?!?!?!

raykkho

Forum Donor
1605668235749.png

These are listed in the current Roon device list, perhaps MA is still working towards certification? I remember at the early stages the element was also not certified but was eventually confirmed. @MatrixAudio should address this for the customers' confidence.

Last edited:

donmiller714

View attachment 94207

These are listed in the current Roon device list, perhaps MA is still working towards certification? I remember at the early stages the element was also not certified but was eventually confirmed. @MatrixAudio should address this for the customers' confident.

That would be nice, but what's with the airplay? the whole point of this device (for me anyway) is an all in one, working as advertised out of the box. I'm not an "early adopter", so why are they advertising this as roon ready when it's not? @MatrixAudio again, are you guys listening?!?!?!?! why are you putting stickers on your devices that are not true? There's a huge "roon ready" sticker right on top, but roon won't do it's roon thing with the box. I'm basically stuck (for now) with a $1k raspberry pi!!!!

Reactions: mdl

raykkho

Forum Donor
That would be nice, but what's with the airplay? the whole point of this device (for me anyway) is an all in one, working as advertised out of the box. I'm not an "early adopter", so why are they advertising this as roon ready when it's not? @MatrixAudio again, are you guys listening?!?!?!?! why are you putting stickers on your devices that are not true? There's a huge "roon ready" sticker right on top, but roon won't do it's roon thing with the box. I'm basically stuck (for now) with a $1k raspberry pi!!!!

Airplay to me is a last resort for convenience kind of thing, like streaming Spotify. I also hope MA can address this, this can be such a giant killer from at least from feature point of view.

mdl

I can echo
Airplay to me is a last resort for convenience kind of thing, like streaming Spotify. I also hope MA can address this, this can be such a giant killer from at least from feature point of view.
I've asked MA two simple questions via email
How can you stream MQA full unfold
When or if will you add tidal connect
No answers
Maybe we should join forces and ask all together?
My guess at this point is that the only way to overcome airplay limitations with or without roon is to get the device ready for tidal cast which seems to suggest a full MQA unfold would be possible.
Would be nice to know if any bluos user with nad or bluesound has tried already
But yes...it's disappointing!

mdl

Chromecsst better than this? Shall I get a Chromecast and stick it to the back of our mini?
https://www.whathifi.com/news/tidal-connect-one-touch-casting-of-hi-res-and-dolby-atmos-music

Tidal already supports Chromecast to allow users to easily stream and control music to Chromecast-enabled devices within the app, but Tidal Connect is a more versatile, all-encompassing alternative. Not only does it too support the service's CD-quality playback, it can also uniquely cast the hi-res Masters (MQA) tracks and Dolby Atmos Music catalogue available to Tidal HiFi subscribers.

mdl

View attachment 94207

These are listed in the current Roon device list, perhaps MA is still working towards certification? I remember at the early stages the element was also not certified but was eventually confirmed. @MatrixAudio should address this for the customers' confidence.
In a previous post matrix suggested they are working towards full roon certification before the end of 2020 as a priority and they also suggested they got in touch with tidal to add tidal cast to their product but no timeline.
Even naim will be adopting tidal cast by 2021 (not clear if they will finally include mqa)but still...

donmiller714

I did get a very quick response from Matrix Audio on this and they say roon cert coming soon. For some reason I thought I'd be able to broadcast BT from the DAC too, but that was another illusion shattered.

I thought I'd try to trick roon by going out to my android tv's chrome cast, then taking the digital signal from there via optical and feeding the DAC with that signal. Though roon reports it as lossless, the DAC only shows 48kHz, which I *think* is the limit for optical????? Anyway, not what I wanted.

I will say that the device has some heft to it and feels really solid, metal remote as well which is nice.

Top Bottom