• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Info. on new Matrix Audio mini-i

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I received this information from Matrix Audio, thought the forum would be interested to see a new, small streamer. I think the idea is that the unit is so small that you can just haul it around your house with you? It's got a really small antenna compared to the Element series but otherwise seems quite similar.

The new mini's page is:

https://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/489.html

Attachments

• ELEMENT SERIES VS MINI-I PRO 3.pdf
    106.6 KB · Views: 468
  • Catch3B2A(07-17-(08-03-13-59-36).jpg
    Catch3B2A(07-17-(08-03-13-59-36).jpg
    648.2 KB · Views: 717

Lobo_M

I can't find any information about software. We know that it will be ROON ready, but roon cost extra money. Spotify maybe later in 2020. What about Tidal? Do you know. Or @MatrixAudio know?

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't find any information about software. We know that it will be ROON ready, but roon cost extra money. Spotify maybe later in 2020. What about Tidal? Do you know. Or @MatrixAudio know?
Their other streamers support Tidal and Qobuz, so I assume these are no different.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Initial Thoughts -
  • 4.4mm Balanced Output +1
  • USB Type-C Digital Input +1
  • RCA In Analog Input +1
  • 22 ohm output impedance for 4.4mm jack -50
I'm really surprised about the headphone output impedance...why would they be OK with this?

Lobo_M

Their other streamers support Tidal and Qobuz, so I assume these are no different.
I hope so, but there is no clear info about it
"The new Mini-i 3 and Mini-i Pro 3 use a two-color aluminum shell in silent black and space gray with a 3.3-inch LCD screen and a brand new user interface. "
We don't know what does it mean

Massimo

Initial Thoughts -
  • RCA In Analog Input +1
I'm really surprised about the headphone output impedance...why would they be OK with this?

22 ohms! The Matrix Element i is only 0.6 ohms. The high output impedance of the new unit is a showstopper.

Veri

Master Contributor
22 ohms! The Matrix Element i is only 0.6 ohms. The high output impedance of the new unit is a showstopper.
This is probably the big cost reduction, no dedicated headphone amp like the more expensive series, but an off-the-shelf one which tends to have relatively high Z out.

Massimo

This is probably the big cost reduction, no dedicated headphone amp like the more expensive series, but an off-the-shelf one which tends to have relatively high Z out.

The Element i is only a little more expensive than the Mini-i Pro 3. I would pay the difference for the discrete headphone stage.

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
The mini-i Pro 3 do not need the mobile app. If you would like to play Tidal on it, bluetooth and AirPlay can be the solution. By the way, over USB port is another solution.

sx70nk

@MatrixAudio

If the Mini-i Pro 3 is connected via Ethernet only (not USB), can it still decode MQA?? Seems so many MQA capable DACs only handle MQA via USB input exclusively. I am looking for a Network bridge/streamer/Dac (budget $1000-ish) that only needs an ethernet connection to handle Tidal/MQA and send to my integrated tube amp. Preferably with analog in/pre-amp function to gain remote control of my amp... I know, I want it all and ideally for no money...

Lobo_M

The mini-i Pro 3 do not need the mobile app. If you would like to play Tidal on it, bluetooth and AirPlay can be the solution. By the way, over USB port is another solution.
Yes I know, but If SQ is most important TIDAL via client would be the best. Roon is OK, but create extra cost

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
@MatrixAudio

If the Mini-i Pro 3 is connected via Ethernet only (not USB), can it still decode MQA?? Seems so many MQA capable DACs only handle MQA via USB input exclusively. I am looking for a Network bridge/streamer/Dac (budget $1000-ish) that only needs an ethernet connection to handle Tidal/MQA and send to my integrated tube amp. Preferably with analog in/pre-amp function to gain remote control of my amp... I know, I want it all and ideally for no money...
Roon also transfer MQA bit-perfectly to Mini-i Pro 3. :p But an extra cost needed.

Hemi-Demon

@MatrixAudio

Why include the headphone amp, especially at 22 ohm impedance. I would certainly be interested in this device for a $100 or so cheaper, without the headphone amp. Seems an unnecessary cost and add on. Also can you use the USB type c port for OTG smartphone use or playback from a DAP?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Initial Thoughts -
  • RCA In Analog Input +1
Ouch- well that ends my considerations of this over the Element i- HPA clearly an afterthought in the mini.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I received this information from Matrix Audio, thought the forum would be interested to see a new, small streamer. I think the idea is that the unit is so small that you can just haul it around your house with you? It's got a really small antenna compared to the Element series but otherwise seems quite similar.

The new mini's page is:

https://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/489.html

Could be cool for my work shed.

Those XLR connectors would let me hook up the JBL LSR-305s I have gathering dust on a shelf.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What's the price?

If I hit "Buy Now" nothing loads.

Think the pro is around $1k, the non pro a hundred or so less, from memory.

Top Bottom