• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Matrix Audio mini-i 4 and mini-i Pro 4 Streamers.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Not much to say, just that the new mini 4 Series was released today, July 5th of 2023. Roon Ready is still under certification but the specs and new features make this new mini 4 Series the best mini Series so far, and to my point of view, even better than the element i2. Price is cheaper than the old mini 3 Series which makes these new Streamers from Matrix Audio a very good option compared to the EverSolo DMP-A6 and Bluesound NODE X.

Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 6.58.43 AM.png

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Just incredible competitive prices for both devices. Matrix audio with their customer support, software updates and these inputs and outputs.. and HDMI eARC with Roon...

I might actually need 2 of those. One for the TV setup and one for the computer setup.

Nice one matrix audio.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice product for desktop, yet it still lacks the one thing their higher priced alternatives offer. A simple 12v trigger if you wish to connect to external power amp.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Wouldn't something like this work?

Anyway. I'm still blown away by the streamer especially that they give such a discount for the headphone amp that is not included.

Sure the headphone amp is probably enough for 95% of users but it's nice that they finally offer a streamer like this for people that want to use another amp.

So far it was always that you got something thrown in these units that you are not going to need or is more like a nice gimmick.. like the headphone amp in the Mini i3.

All these inputs with the touchscreen. Nice one. And it's from a brand that won't release a new version of this amp in 6 weeks and drop support at the same time for the old device.

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
The more I check, the more I get convinced that there is no point on getting the element i2.

Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 9.42.31 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 9.43.35 AM.png

However, there is no mention on which Clock is used in the mini 4. Also the weight difference is double. mini 4 Pro is 1.3Kg and element i2 is 2.6kg. Makes me wonder what kind of power supply are they using in the mini-i Pro 4 and if the chassis is full aluminum like in the element i2.

iWazzmatazz

Not much to say, just that the new mini 4 Series was released today, July 5th of 2023. Roon Ready is still under certification but the specs and new features make this new mini 4 Series the best mini Series so far, and to my point of view, even better than the element i2. Price is cheaper than the old mini 3 Series which makes these new Streamers from Matrix Audio a very good option compared to the EverSolo DMP-A6 and Bluesound NODE X.

View attachment 296982

What's the price??

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Gorgeous units.

What does this Filters button do?

1688586548886.png

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
That’s a shame.

Was hoping for a full suite of DRC filter options.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
That’s a shame.

Was hoping for a full suite of DRC filter options.

You can create your own room correction filters and load convolution filters into roon.

I use convolution filters with my headphones and room correction with housecurve for my loudspeakers.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Right.

It’s just that these devices are so much more than just roon endpoints.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Right.

It’s just that these devices are so much more than just roon endpoints.

DAC + roon endpoint with headphone amp and airplay.
Would be cool if roon could support digital inputs as source but I don't expect that a fancy DAC like this has RME ADI DAC DSP features and roon etc..

If someone wants that just buy a rme DAC + a raspberry pi.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Shouldn’t this be able to perform a little DSP-ing?

IMG_4886.jpeg

I’m not asking much - a 2x10-band PEQ would already put it miles and miles ahead of anything like it.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Shouldn’t this be able to perform a little DSP-ing?

View attachment 297540

I’m not asking much - a 2x10-band PEQ would already put it miles and miles ahead of anything like it.

I can only imagine that the main target group for matrix audio is Roon User's and people that use a computer and do their DSP there.

Maybe the faster CPU was necessary for the touch screen. But it was already a potato cpu in 2017 when it was released.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Well all I can say is that if you don’t have Roon, the devices that this thread is about definitely do not look like mainly Roon devices, mainly targeted at a Roon audience.

If you struggle to see that I suggest we leave it at this.

Feel free to have the last word if you want.

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I can only imagine that the main target group for matrix audio is Roon User's and people that use a computer and do their DSP there.

Maybe the faster CPU was necessary for the touch screen. But it was already a potato cpu in 2017 when it was released.

The element 2 Series have NXP i.MX 6Quad Cortex-A9 which is a much better CPU.

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
The OLD mini-i 3 series is for sure a more focused Roon streamer as it lacks support for DLNA, MA Remote app, TIDAL and Qobuz Connect and Spotify. The New element 2 series, X-SABRE 3 and mini-i 4 series are definitely stand alone streamers that can be used fully out of the Roon ecosystem.

Top Bottom