• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Matrix Audio mini-i 4 and mini-i Pro 4 Streamers.

Gyosa1

Attachments

• IMG_0232.jpeg
    IMG_0232.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 110

Gyosa1

Unfortunately that is a bit misleading. That cec capability is from the mini -> tv. Not tv to mini. I can verify if you turn the mini on, it will wake my tv. That is an odd way to do things

This is my post from the matrix forum confirming the devices behavior
oh !
so that was you on their forum !
thanks for replying to me over there !

Yeah ,
that’s messed up ….
should be both ways , at a minimum the opposite of what it actually is ….

every thing I have that is CEC works is such a manner that the TV triggers the device on/off - NOT the opposite…

I pre-ordered a Eversolo A8 … hopefully the HDMI CEC will work properly on it …

bk

Antlestxp

oh !
so that was you on their forum !
thanks for replying to me over there !

Yeah ,
that’s messed up ….
should be both ways , at a minimum the opposite of what it actually is ….

every thing I have that is CEC works is such a manner that the TV triggers the device on/off - NOT the opposite…

I pre-ordered a Eversolo A8 … hopefully the HDMI CEC will work properly on it …

bk
No one ever reviews hdmi interaction. Pretty important feature for me. Let's me put audio equipment in every room lol. Hopefully there isn't some hardware limitation and can be added in a future update. I think as more of these get into the wild, there may be a bigger push to correct it. Pm me when you get it. I may switch if it does everything right.

Gyosa1

No one ever reviews hdmi interaction. Pretty important feature for me. Let's me put audio equipment in every room lol. Hopefully there isn't some hardware limitation and can be added in a future update. I think as more of these get into the wild, there may be a bigger push to correct it. Pm me when you get it. I may switch if it does everything right.
I will let you know ..
agreed , proper HDMI ARC implementation is essential if TV integration is desired …
why have ARC functionality if it’s not properly implemented? volume control ONLY via ARC doesn’t do anything for you that an optical cable from tv to matrix will do - so why bother ?

can’t imagine there’s a hardware limitation for proper CEC - most likely an oversight on Matrix’s end - what we’re talking about is pretty much industry standard for CEC implementation.

also , there’s NO reason for the usb c input to be powered if the matrix is in standby …
probably another easy firmware fix , if they will do it - it’s the only way to “jury rig” a trigger out since they omitted it (which is surprising).

I'm trying to simplify my system - currently running an AVR and dedicated 2 channel
”separates” setup in main room via a manual speaker selector switch …. Want to ditch the AVR …. proper CEC implementation is essential for what I’m trying to accomplish.

bk

Last edited:

losty

Hmm… I’m thinking of getting one of those devices. I’d plan to use it as a Wifi Roon endpoint for headphones (Beyerdynamic DT 1990 and Hifiman Edition XS) only … so the PRO version.

Whats the main advantage of the ver 4 over 3?
- I see amirm tested slightly better SQ - not sure, but I doubt I’ll hear it.
- It plays Tidal & Spotify directly… i fear Roon is set for me (lifetime).
…both not too worrying for me or did I miss anything? So maybe go for a used ver 3 one? At least I’d prefer that plastic knob over touchscreen…

…any opinions?

Antlestxp

Hmm… I’m thinking of getting one of those devices. I’d plan to use it as a Wifi Roon endpoint for headphones (Beyerdynamic DT 1990 and Hifiman Edition XS) only … so the PRO version.

…both not too worrying for me or did I miss anything? So maybe go for a used ver 3 one? At least I’d prefer that plastic knob over touchscreen…

…any opinions?
The 4 was important for my for the hdmi input. Other than that, you do get their latest software platform. That could mean staying in the update train a bit longer than the previous generation. If that isn't important, the 3 should be more than enough.

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company

…any opinions?
The 4 is definitely an upgrade compared to the 3 but the 4 is not Roon Certified yet so if Roon is a must have for you, then you should hold your purchase until it gets certified which could take a few months because Roon is way behind their certifications schedule.

losty

Thanks for your replys.

@enricoclaudio That's the thing - I wonder what this "update" effectively renders to. Up to now I didn't find much that Headphone DAC + Amp usecase would benefit from. I mean I'm not in a particular hurry - if it's fair to assume Roon Certification will eventually succeed within the next... say 6 month, I could just as well wait...

@Antlestxp Latest software might actually become an issue - I'm also a bit worried here. But assuming the ver 3 is running pretty stable by now (...is it? ...at least it appears not yet to be the case for ver 4 to what I read) and Roon Certification is not going to be "revoked", I don't see why I would need an iOS like supply of new releases. I mean most of my HiFi equipment does anyway not any get software updates since years. However: nowadays that argument might change of course if Matrix Audio at some point shuts down any old servers rendering my device effectively useless (like Sonos did)... any clue how cloud-dependet those Matrix devices are?

Antlestxp

I'm not considering functionality updates but updates to the streaming platform itself. For example tidal leaving mqa. The update to take advantage of something like that might find itself on the mini i4 but not the 3. This is all speculation but something I considered when making my purchase.

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I'm not considering functionality updates but updates to the streaming platform itself. For example tidal leaving mqa. The update to take advantage of something like that might find itself on the mini i4 but not the 3. This is all speculation but something I considered when making my purchase.
The ES9039Q2M chipset, which is the one in the mini i4, is a MQA native chipset so the chances that you can disable MQA transcoding are very little.

Antlestxp

The ES9039Q2M chipset, which is the one in the mini i4, is a MQA native chipset so the chances that you can disable MQA transcoding are very little.
I mean tidals shift away from mqa as an example. Devices need an update to take advantage of tidals new "max" tier. Again this is just a hypothetical example.

losty

I got your point, @Antlestxp . Well, whatever Tidal does I should be protected by Roon hopefully. And Roon itself, well... I can just hope whatever they do will be fully backward compatible... ;-)

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
More like protected by Harman Group because Roon was sold last week to Harman Group !

Top Bottom