• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamer is not being detected by other devices on my network

I just bought a Matrix Audio mini i-4 from this forum, advertised as new. Current configuration is: mini i-4 hardwired via LAN, connected to a pair of Neumann KH 80 DSP and a Rythmik sub. I have tried everything I can think of, but my iPhone and Macbook don't detect the mini i-4 on the network. Below is a list of what I've tried, to no avail. Matrix Audio tech support hasn't responded to my query on their forum. I only posted two days ago, but even when they do it'll be a one message a day back and forth. I'd like to figure this out asap so that if there is an issue with the unit, I can let the seller know and work out a resolution.

So far the only connection I have been able to verify is that my router detects the mini i4. I downloaded the MA Remote app, and was able to connect to the mini only after scanning the QR code on the back. But, despite the app saying it is connected, the mini does not respond in any way to input from my phone when using the app.

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

What I've tried / verified:

- all software is up to date on my iPhone, Mac, and of course the streamer
- make sure Spotify and Tidal are up to date
- uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify, Tidal, and the MA Remote apps
- power cycled the mini i4
- power cycled the router
- restart my Macbook and iPhone
- changed the name of the mini i4 through the MA Remote app (apparently this solved a similar issue for someone else)
- DHCP server is enabled on my router

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not a Mac user but wife is so I have a little experience and what fixed my problem was allowing the the device to be shared by giving it credentials in sharing function on the computer. I plugged the Ethernet cable into the device from the computer and went into sharing. Sorry if off base here.

OP
P
Appreciate the suggestion, but I don't think it worked. Assuming I did it correctly... connected mini to Macbook via ethernet; Macbook connected to wifi; went settings > general > sharing, then activated 'internet sharing.' The router detects the mini when its connected through the Macbook, but the Macbook still doesn't detect the player.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would verify basic network connectivity first. To do that I would inspect the leases on my DHCP server to identify if the mini i-4 is indeed on the network and getting a usable address. If it is, I'd try to ping it next to see if it's responding to network traffic.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Appreciate the suggestion, but I don't think it worked. Assuming I did it correctly... connected mini to Macbook via ethernet; Macbook connected to wifi; went settings > general > sharing, then activated 'internet sharing.' The router detects the mini when its connected through the Macbook, but the Macbook still doesn't detect the player.
Plug the Macbook into player directly and see what happens. That's what worked for me. Again not a Mac guy. Good luck these thing are very frustrating.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
If it is previously used, you may need a factory reset. Does it know your WiFi password?

OP
P
I would verify basic network connectivity first. To do that I would inspect the leases on my DHCP server to identify if the mini i-4 is indeed on the network and getting a usable address. If it is, I'd try to ping it next to see if it's responding to network traffic.
confirmed the above. mini i-4 is on the network with an assigned IP. successfully ping'd the IP showing network traffic

OP
P
If it is previously used, you may need a factory reset. Does it know your WiFi password?
Performed a factory reset. In order to enter the wifi password, it says to go into settings > network and click on WLAN. WLAN doesn't appear as an option on the device menu, only LAN

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Performed a factory reset. In order to enter the wifi password, it says to go into settings > network and click on WLAN. WLAN doesn't appear as an option on the device menu, only LAN
That seems a bit odd!

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you unplugged the Ethernet cable? The WLAN option is disabled on some devices if they are already connected via Ethernet.

Also, check that you do not have 'wireless isolation' enabled on your router as this may prevent your wireless devices talking to other devices on your network.

*edit* Actually, I don't think the mini-4 (non-Pro) supports WLAN connections, which would explain why the option is not present!

Last edited:

GaryY

Forum Donor
Are you using dynamic or static IP address?

OP
P
Have you unplugged the Ethernet cable? The WLAN option is disabled on some devices if they are already connected via Ethernet.

Also, check that you do not have 'wireless isolation' enabled on your router as this may prevent your wireless devices talking to other devices on your network.

*edit* Actually, I don't think the mini-4 (non-Pro) supports WLAN connections, which would explain why the option is not present!
welp, I guess we can cross that off the issue list

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I'm guessing that the device advertises a DLNA server within your LAN, that's probably the next thing to check.

OP
P
Are you using dynamic or static IP address?
Dynamic
I'm guessing that the device advertises a DLNA server within your LAN, that's probably the next thing to check.
That one is a bit over my head. How do I check that?

Also, update to your previous suggestion, while pinging the device showed network traffic, the transfer/receive rate is blank on the client list....
Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 11.59.13 AM.png

GaryY

Forum Donor
Dynamic

Also, update to your previous suggestion, while pinging the device showed network traffic, the transfer/receive rate is blank on the client list....
View attachment 349624
I'm using Eversolo streamer and app didn't find streamer again when it's turned off and turned on by using dynamic IP. After fixing IP, the issue was gone though it's not exactly the same issue. If you have not tried, I would try static IP and search streamer by IP address.

Last edited:

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Dynamic

View attachment 349624
Since it's a server, I would change it to a static IP, via DHCP.

Can you look at data on your router - e.g. log traffic to and from the IP address?

OP
P
Since it's a server, I would change it to a static IP, via DHCP.

Can you look at data on your router - e.g. log traffic to and from the IP address?
I'm in a townhome community and all the connections are already installed. I called the provider and the woman i spoke to wasn't sure they offer static ip's to my community, but will check. If they do, its an additional $25 a month which is certainly not worth it. Unless I'm just testing to see if that works? Also if it's unable to run on dynamic, that seems like an issue with the device with an expensive workaround.

I can access a system log, but not a traffic log.

GaryY

Forum Donor
I'm in a townhome community and all the connections are already installed. I called the provider and the woman i spoke to wasn't sure they offer static ip's to my community, but will check. If they do, its an additional $25 a month which is certainly not worth it. Unless I'm just testing to see if that works? Also if it's unable to run on dynamic, that seems like an issue with the device with an expensive workaround.

I can access a system log, but not a traffic log.
No, static IP means fixed IP of your streamer assigned by your home modem/Router like 192.168.0.?? in your case, not by provider.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Routers usually only show Tx/Rx rates for wireless clients. This is because the rate changes for wireless clients depending on where they are and how good their signal is. This doesn't apply to wired clients because the Tx/Rx will be same for all of them (unless you have some kind of cable fault).

Also, you don't really need to blank out your internal IP addresses. These are private addresses and they are not routable across the internet. Most people will have the same range of IPs as you :) (the external IP address of your router is another matter, that's also the one your internet provider will likely charge you to fix)

Have you checked for a wireless client isolation setting on your router? It can cause this type of issue e.g. for Denon Heos ... https://support.denon.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3746/~/wireless,-ap-or-client-isolation

Last edited:
Top Bottom