• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Info. on new Matrix Audio mini-i

vid4inyay

I`m keen to consider bying mini-i 3 Pro version, but one thing that bother me is Roon certification which is still in progress and possibility to stream wirelessly.
Hence question to @MatrixAudio and users of that unit:
- Once Roon certification is done and unit will be Roon Ready, will it be possible to stream from Roon server to unit via WiFi or only possible via enthernet port ?

Thanks in advance for reply.

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
I`m keen to consider bying mini-i 3 Pro version, but one thing that bother me is Roon certification which is still in progress and possibility to stream wirelessly.
Hence question to @MatrixAudio and users of that unit:
- Once Roon certification is done and unit will be Roon Ready, will it be possible to stream from Roon server to unit via WiFi or only possible via enthernet port ?

Thanks in advance for reply.
For the mini-i Pro 3, both Wi-Fi and Ethernet are able to stream to it.
For mini-i 3, only Ethernet available.

Thank you.

vid4inyay

Thanks for reply.
Quick question, taking in mind Tidal has recenty released Tidal connect and multiple brands already started to support that functionality, is this feature planned to be supported and delivered with new firmware update for mini-i Pro series by MA?

JimmyMac

For the mini-i Pro 3, both Wi-Fi and Ethernet are able to stream to it.
For mini-i 3, only Ethernet available.

Thank you.

What apps can stream to the Mini-i 3 Pro, that can stream a Tidal MQA file, so that it can be properly decoded? Mostly interested in this capability via a wifi connection.

Thanks! JMac

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
Thanks for reply.
Quick question, taking in mind Tidal has recenty released Tidal connect and multiple brands already started to support that functionality, is this feature planned to be supported and delivered with new firmware update for mini-i Pro series by MA?
Hi @vid4inyay , We are in touch with Tidal about the possibilities of integrating Tidal Connect to our products.

What apps can stream to the Mini-i 3 Pro, that can stream a Tidal MQA file, so that it can be properly decoded? Mostly interested in this capability via a wifi connection.
Thanks! JMac
Currently the only method is Roon. But we are still doing Roon certification now.

Wolvebain

I ordered the Mini-i Pro 3 from HiFiGo... they can only ship in 3 to 4 weeks time.
But will update all on the Roon capabilities, etc.

mdl

Hi
Just got my mini i pro 3 last week.

Yes sounds great...but:) I could swap with an Element I with little money but I am so uncertain!!
My goal is to stream (Ethernet mainly although wireless would be nice) Tidal with MQA (and Spotify if needed) without Roon via mobile app (with roon money and giving back the mini, I could get a second hand mytek bridge or a NAD or Naim ND5Xs) . I'm so disappointed that you cannot stream high Res (apple airplay limits max 44.1khz/16 bit) and MA app is not available. And I mostly use android phone.Yes you can Bluetooth 96khz but it won't be bit perfect ....jack of all trades:))).

I simply can't afford an Element M which would be ideal. Unless anyone has a second hand one:)

So the question is...shall I wait and keep the mini hoping tidal connect will be implemented or swap with an Element I although you need to give up on MQA as MQA will not be implemented into Element I???? Plus Element I doesn't have Bluetooth convenience for my wife:) I could add a dongle for that I know... Is the Element I so much better?

I only have a couple of days to make up my mind...please help!!!

ps: If I could... a NAD M12 but outside my current budget. I have seen a few other option within the budget. A second hand CA Azur 851N? Or wait for an Auralic Altair previous generation again second hand?or an old Naim ND5 XS...

Last edited:

Wolvebain

Maybe contact matrix and ask them if they plan on supporting Tidal Connect natively.

:EDIT:
I will be using Roon, so I haven't looked at the other connectivity options, such as DLNA/uPNP... if it does support that, then one could try and use UAPP on Android and stream to the Mini-i Pro as a DLNA render-endpoint

mdl

I've tried using bubbleUnP but can't see a renderer as matrix mini? am i doing something wrong? (Bubble see my smart tv, google cast but not the mini). thank you though!

Last edited:

mdl

I have tried using UAPP although I might not be the most familiar (was using it with my dragonfly on the go) to set up the DLNA/uPNP...I've entered the IP in UAPP while connected to the same network (mini on ethernet , mobile on wifi) and everytime it says connection refused...

mdl

Maybe contact matrix and ask them if they plan on supporting Tidal Connect natively.

:EDIT:
I will be using Roon, so I haven't looked at the other connectivity options, such as DLNA/uPNP... if it does support that, then one could try and use UAPP on Android and stream to the Mini-i Pro as a DLNA render-endpoint

Just sent off an email to Matrix asking if they will implement Tidal connect natively.

Wolvebain

I've tried using bubbleUnP but can't see a renderer as matrix mini? am i doing something wrong? (Bubble see my smart tv, google cast but not the mini). thank you though!
Wow.. okay!

I read the review on SoundNews (https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/matrix-audio-mini-i-pro-3-third-time-s-a-charm/) where they mention it's DLNA enabled.
Sorry about that.. I just checked the manual as well, and sadly no mention of DLNA/uPNP support.

1605194155958.png

mdl

Wow.. okay!

I read the review on SoundNews (https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/matrix-audio-mini-i-pro-3-third-time-s-a-charm/) where they mention it's DLNA enabled.
Sorry about that.. I just checked the manual as well, and sadly no mention of DLNA/uPNP support.

View attachment 93029
i think the review is correct...it's referring to the Element X which does have DLNA and MA app not the Mini Pro. So I guess my point is still the same....If you have a choice would give up on MQA and get the Element I instead? Is it worth the swap...The element I in principle has higher specs (better dacs etc). sorry for being so upfront:))

and more so...being new to the forum I just wanted to say thank you for welcoming me in:)

Last edited:

raykkho

Forum Donor
I have mentioned it elsewhere it is a strange decision on MA's part to not let the mini stream direct from NAS. I am a very happy user of the element X, their product is solid with very good support, just not sure why they did what they did. Perhaps its a marketing decision to cripple the Mini ?

mdl

Please let me know what they say.
I have mentioned it elsewhere it is a strange decision on MA's part to not let the mini stream direct from NAS. I am a very happy user of the element X, their product is solid with very good support, just not sure why they did what they did. Perhaps its a marketing decision to cripple the Mini ?
Hi
I agree and thank you!
Matrix seemed to have positioned the mini below the element series to avoid product overlap ...somewhat confirmed by an email from them suggesting just that...something on the line this is not a mini elment series:)
I'd love an element X but really outside my current budget.
It's understandable although somewhat frustrating having in your hands a really really good product at a very decent price point but then being let down by not being able to deploy its full potential....almost like a good hatch with brakes on:)
So i am running out of time and I might have to bet on tidal connect becoming available rather than giving it back :)
Does anyone have an element I to get some feedback anyway?
By the way ...I have done a few comparative listening using my little FIIO M9 then a dragonfly cobalt (mainly "you want it darker"by Lenny cohen hi Res on qubuz) and the mini stands out (unsurprisingly). Would the element I offer that more? Million Dollar question...

raykkho

Forum Donor
Hi
I agree and thank you!
Matrix seemed to have positioned the mini below the element series to avoid product overlap ...somewhat confirmed by an email from them suggesting just that...something on the line this is not a mini elment series:)
I'd love an element X but really outside my current budget.
It's understandable although somewhat frustrating having in your hands a really really good product at a very decent price point but then being let down by not being able to deploy its full potential....almost like a good hatch with brakes on:)
So i am running out of time and I might have to bet on tidal connect becoming available rather than giving it back :)
Does anyone have an element I to get some feedback anyway?
By the way ...I have done a few comparative listening using my little FIIO M9 then a dragonfly cobalt (mainly "you want it darker"by Lenny cohen hi Res on qubuz) and the mini stands out (unsurprisingly). Would the element I offer that more? Million Dollar question...

"....almost like a good hatch with brakes on" that is so true.

No idea why it was conceived this way, when even cheaper streamers can stream direct from NAS. Although I am a Roon member but it is true not everyone would want or need a Roon membership, cutting the Mini-pros' ability to stream direct to me does more harm than good to its enormous potentials. It could have been a perfect main or secondary system streamer to a wide range of users, especially those with headphones, that 4.4 connection is a killer.

Reactions: mdl

mdl

"....almost like a good hatch with brakes on" that is so true.

No idea why it was conceived this way, when even cheaper streamers can stream direct from NAS. Although I am a Roon member but it is true not everyone would want or need a Roon membership, cutting the Mini-pros' ability to stream direct to me does more harm than good to its enormous potentials. It could have been a perfect main or secondary system streamer to a wide range of users, especially those with headphones, that 4.4 connection is a killer.

clearly they are pushing towards more expensive solutions. My guess is that the Element I will be updated in the near future with some more specs. As I don't use Roon (or better, don't want to invest on roon) and 99.99% only direct stream I just need to keep my finger crossed and hope for Tidal Cast implementation. Matrix said they will be getting Spotify casting before 2020 (useful for my wife she is not much into this malarkey :)) and they also said they are looking at introducing Tidal Cast on their products (products...not just element series). I still haven't received a reply to my direct question via email though.

raykkho

Forum Donor
It would be really great of Tidal and Spotify connect can be added to MA products, and I can appreciate not everyone thinks Roon is needed in their setup.

Reactions: mdl
Top Bottom