• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Matrix Audio mini-i 4 and mini-i Pro 4 Streamers.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Compact form factors, small streamer, and tiny Genelec active speakers on that advertising video.

You won't find that in my home, I got a huge Perlisten s7t that took two grown men to get into the basement where my listening room is and 430mm components.

Different culture, different taste for sure.

tk21

How valuable is the HDMI ARC (vs. Toslink) if you're not plugging this into an A/V receiver? To feed TV audio into my 2.1 stereo system, I'm currently using a Toslink cable from the TV to a DAC. Seems like you need a single cable for the TV audio regardless, and it shouldn't make much difference whether it's an HDMI or a Toslink cable. For high res music, I'd use USB or ethernet.

JSmith

Master Contributor
ASR review on the 4 is up;

JSmith

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
analog input is a big plus for me. At the cost of an ADC more DACs used as a pre should feature this

Antlestxp

How valuable is the HDMI ARC (vs. Toslink) if you're not plugging this into an A/V receiver? To feed TV audio into my 2.1 stereo system, I'm currently using a Toslink cable from the TV to a DAC. Seems like you need a single cable for the TV audio regardless, and it shouldn't make much difference whether it's an HDMI or a Toslink cable. For high res music, I'd use USB or ethernet.
No use if you are using an avr. It's only useful if plugged directly to your tv. Plugged directly to your tv you can take advantage of CEC

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Would be perfect for me.. ps5 audio (currently I’m Using USB) and Apple TV 4K (currently using AirPlay).

Piotr

With eARC, you streamline control with just one remote—the TV. When you power on the TV, the receiver, DAC, and streamer automatically activate and synchronize. Adjusting the TV volume seamlessly affects all connected devices, ensuring everything stays in harmony.

Presently dealing with a Toslink connection, it's a real hassle.
Managing two remotes is chaotic, syncing devices is challenging, and discerning whether the TV or the receiver is producing the sound.
No no no...

I believe eARC should become the standard, so I'm optimistic that the Matrix is paving the way for this trend.

Antlestxp

Just ordered one for an active speaker setup. Can't wait to get it up and running. Wishful thinking but a trigger out as well as sub outs would be a dream for the next iteration.

radix

Major Contributor
With eARC, you streamline control with just one remote—the TV. When you power on the TV, the receiver, DAC, and streamer automatically activate and synchronize. Adjusting the TV volume seamlessly affects all connected devices, ensuring everything stays in harmony.

Presently dealing with a Toslink connection, it's a real hassle.
Managing two remotes is chaotic, syncing devices is challenging, and discerning whether the TV or the receiver is producing the sound.
No no no...

I believe eARC should become the standard, so I'm optimistic that the Matrix is paving the way for this trend.
Yes, if you're using with a TV, eARC is the way to go.

Chrisnew

Just ordered one for an active speaker setup. Can't wait to get it up and running. Wishful thinking but a trigger out as well as sub outs would be a dream for the next iteration.
Are you another buchardt owner too?

Antlestxp

Are you another buchardt owner too?
No but I do have a set on my short list. I'm using it with a pair if beolab 3. The matrix is a pretty sweet little device. Pretty happy with my purchase other than the lack of roon. You can't even use roon through airplay. I have spent time with the lab3 and a few other sets of speakers using a c399 as a power amp. Impressive detail and hdmi arc has been trouble free so far. I may add one to another room.

Edited - after spending more time with it I realized the mini does not go into standby or wake with hdmi.

Last edited:

Antlestxp

Mini usability review for people planning to use with a tv.

I have had my mini for a couple days so far. It is a beautiful little device. No questions about that. The screen is super sharp and has great contrast. It should be a better performing streaming and digital audio player than something like the node. The node however as of right now is much easier to live with. The hdmi arc cec is only partially implemented as far as I can tell. The tv is only able to send volume commands and only if the mini i4 is manually switched over to hmdi. The node will switch to hmdi when the tv requests it and will wake and standby in my experience. The matrix app (on android at least) crashes regularly. There is no chance of opening the app and not having it crash at least once while you navigate around it. If you get a mini, be sure to get the remote to save yourself frustration.

Small issues that can be fixed with enough updates but still disappointing. I was hoping to replace an nr1200 with this and eventually replace other nodes when they get roon support. Probably going to hold off for a bit to see where the software lands

The good thing is it sounds incredible. Looking forward to experiencing it with roon.

Attachments

• 20231121_085323.jpg
    20231121_085323.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 41

Antlestxp

is there a specific reason why there are no digital outputs on these really nice streamers?
Maybe price. Or they wanted it to be used as a preamp since they added hdmi arc. Power amps with digital in are not that common.

Gyosa1

Mini usability review for people planning to use with a tv.

I have had my mini for a couple days so far. It is a beautiful little device. No questions about that. The screen is super sharp and has great contrast. It should be a better performing streaming and digital audio player than something like the node. The node however as of right now is much easier to live with. The hdmi arc cec is only partially implemented as far as I can tell. The tv is only able to send volume commands and only if the mini i4 is manually switched over to hmdi. The node will switch to hmdi when the tv requests it and will wake and standby in my experience. The matrix app (on android at least) crashes regularly. There is no chance of opening the app and not having it crash at least once while you navigate around it. If you get a mini, be sure to get the remote to save yourself frustration.

Small issues that can be fixed with enough updates but still disappointing. I was hoping to replace an nr1200 with this and eventually replace other nodes when they get roon support. Probably going to hold off for a bit to see where the software lands

The good thing is it sounds incredible. Looking forward to experiencing it with roon.

will the tv ”wake up” the Matrix from standby when the tv is turned on ? How about if the Matrix was put in standby mode while HDMI was the selected input ?

also , since you have one ….. trying to figure out if a “trigger” can be made using the USB C port ( I did this with a Cambridge 851n that doesn’t have a trigger out ) ….. is the port powered while the unit is in standby ? An easy way to determine this is to plug an iPhone (or any mobile device) into the usb c port and see if it is charging while the Matrix is powered up , and then see if the phone is still charging when the Matrix is put into standby…..

thanks in advance ..

bk

Antlestxp

will the tv ”wake up” the Matrix from standby when the tv is turned on ? How about if the Matrix was put in standby mode while HDMI was the selected input ?

also , since you have one ….. trying to figure out if a “trigger” can be made using the USB C port ( I did this with a Cambridge 851n that doesn’t have a trigger out ) ….. is the port powered while the unit is in standby ? An easy way to determine this is to plug an iPhone (or any mobile device) into the usb c port and see if it is charging while the Matrix is powered up , and then see if the phone is still charging when the Matrix is put into standby…..

thanks in advance ..

bk
The matrix will not wake with the tv. It doesn't matter if you put it in standby while on hdmi. I have reached out to them. They say it was not designed to receive power commands from a tv but they will pass the request to the engineers. I can double check but I think the usb stays on. I haven't looked into triggering since the speakers I have self trigger and sleep.

Gyosa1

The matrix will not wake with the tv. It doesn't matter if you put it in standby while on hdmi. I have reached out to them. They say it was not designed to receive power commands from a tv but they will pass the request to the engineers. I can double check but I think the usb stays on. I haven't looked into triggering since the speakers I have self trigger and sleep.
Thanks !
I would greatly appreciate the info regarding the USB power ….

it will be the determining factor for me buying it as I have to have trigger out one way or another … it works perfectly on my 851n .

thanks again

bk

Antlestxp

Thanks !
I would greatly appreciate the info regarding the USB power ….

it will be the determining factor for me buying it as I have to have trigger out one way or another … it works perfectly on my 851n .

thanks again

bk
Sorry to report, it keeps the usb powered at all times

Top Bottom