• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio mini-i 4 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 26.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 106 56.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 21 11.2%

• Total voters

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,

Can the mini-i 4 be used with third-party software as both "media server" and "renderer" ?

1°) AS a media server
Let's assume I hook up a USB drive to the mini-i 4.
I am sure that I can then browse thorough the content of that USB drive to play it from the Matrix app on my Android phone or tablet.
But will it be considered as a media server by third party software in case the Matrix app does fit my needs ?
Maybe something like mConnect or Bubble UPnP ?

2°) As a renderer
Will I be able to get music from anywhere (Emby or the Matrix used as a media server) and then play it to the mini-i 4 ?
If so will I be able to do it with third party software like mConnect, Bubble UPnP or Symfonium ?

Any problems if used outside the dedicated Matrix app ?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Regards.

Antlestxp

Shame. How well does it work with Spotify?
As of right now it does tidal qobuz and hiresaudio for streaming.

To be clear It does have Spotify connect but no way to browse. Like tidal or qobuz. I don't think they will go further than that.

Last edited:

Antlestxp

Hi,

Can the mini-i 4 be used with third-party software as both "media server" and "renderer" ?

1°) AS a media server
Let's assume I hook up a USB drive to the mini-i 4.
I am sure that I can then browse thorough the content of that USB drive to play it from the Matrix app on my Android phone or tablet.
But will it be considered as a media server by third party software in case the Matrix app does fit my needs ?
Maybe something like mConnect or Bubble UPnP ?

2°) As a renderer
Will I be able to get music from anywhere (Emby or the Matrix used as a media server) and then play it to the mini-i 4 ?
If so will I be able to do it with third party software like mConnect, Bubble UPnP or Symfonium ?

Any problems if used outside the dedicated Matrix app ?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Regards.
1) the matrix will not serve files that are attached to it. (At least I'm not seeing an option for it anywhere in the app. I will check again later)

2) I thought I saw a way to add a share in the app and now I can't find it.

Last edited:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
As of right now it does tidal qobuz and hiresaudio for streaming.

To be clear It does have Spotify connect but no way to browse. Like tidal or qobuz. I don't think they will go further than that.
Well with Spotify Connect that is fine because I can control it from my phone like I do with my Heos stuff.

Stopeter44

Forum Donor
This streamer dac is on a short list of two for me, the other is Audalytic (Gustard) AH90.

The advantage of the AH90 is the roon integration (Roon bridge I think?). This is important to me, as this is how I access my music. OTOH, I could get around that by, using QOBUZ and local files directly through the MA app, I suppose.

This mini-i 4 is close to ideal for me, Roon and wifi would be nice, but I have an Argon solo, I can keep for a while longer for Roon, or I could use the Oppo 203, via the HDMI input, that I so rarely use as the Roon end point.

@MatrixAudio do you have a work around until Roon certification comes through ?

Last edited:

Jasperous

An interesting feature that I noticed, the USB-C port provides power.

I've been wanting to make a single cable solution to play Apple Music Lossless using an iPad.

With other DACs you need to use a USB Hub to route power to the iPad while its connected to the DAC.

A single connection from the DAC to the iPad that provides power could make for a very clean setup. Since it seems like iPads directly connected to a DAC are really the only way to get AM lossless without conversion.

I hope that more DACs offer this!

(The lack of physical volume control, especially if its to act as a pre-amp for lots of sources is a deal breaker for me. And to use it purely as a DAC is a bit out of my price range. A minor annoyance is touch screens for input selection - but that seems to be the norm for most DACs...)
This is an Apple introduced limitation so that you purchase their Camera dongle as lightning port is a USB2 implementation with some additional features.

Antlestxp

This streamer dac is on a short list of two for me, the other is Audalytic (Gustard) AH90.

The advantage of the AH90 is the roon integration (Roon bridge I think?). This is important to me, as this is how I access my music. OTOH, I could get around that by, using QOBUZ and local files directly through the MA app, I suppose.

This mini-i 4 is close to ideal for me, Roon and wifi would be nice, but I have an Argon solo, I can keep for a while longer for Roon, or I could use the Oppo 203, via the HDMI input, that I so rarely use as the Roon end point.

you can use it as a usb dac for a roon endpoint. A pi running roopie or similar will let the matrix run as an endpoint until it gets certified.

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Hi,

Did not know about that other device.

Besides, you can compare it to mini-i Pro 4 because it includes HP amp.
But a lot less wireless and analog options.

Still a real choice to consider....

Regards.

Stopeter44

Forum Donor
you can use it as a usb dac for a roon endpoint. A pi running roopie or similar will let the matrix run as an endpoint until it gets certified.
Yes, I even thought of testing that route with a spare Macbook I have at home, but I'm looking for a one box solution.

Besides, you can compare it to mini-i Pro 4 because it includes HP amp.
But a lot less wireless and analog options.
I don't need the HP option, I'm retired and I don't have a context for listening to headphones, although back in the day, when I was an IT developer I used them a lot. What I really want is wifi, rather than ethernet, connection to roon. OTOH, I have seen that I can get a wifi extender for about 30 € from which I can run an ethernet cable.

Top Bottom