• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio mini-i 4 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 26.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 106 56.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 21 11.2%

• Total voters

morillon

Major Contributor
but that doesn't take away from the fact that the only plus v1 and v2 measurements comparison available... ;-))

SimonS

Not so bad. There is also The mini-i Pro 4 which adds a fully balanced headphone amp along with a 6.35mm single-ended output and 4.4mm balanced output up front as well as a dual-band Wi-Fi connection @ $959. Both are based on the ES9039Q2M chip.
I've bought and tested the pro 4 and am delighted by the sound and features it provides. A few app improvements like radio filter and sorting and display VA Meter would fit quite well to it's overall good impression.

SimonS

More than good enough performance and very appealing features; HDMI and analogue in.

I'm hopeful that a firmware update will sort those glitches.

Voted it down to 'fine' for the lack of a physical volume control. This would be used as a preamp so that's something I consider essential ... even if it's really only a placebo!

Almost perfect :)
The mini pro 4 would probably be your preferred choice then? It has a minimal but good remote control

SimonS

I voted poor because of :

1. No remote control
2. High jitter - pity they stumbled on this.
3. Bad software - it has to be perfect to compete.
4. Digitalization of analog input - This is not an advantage.
5. No digital Peq or EQ - This is very useful If its of good quality.
6. Maybe to expensive because of this.

This is not good enough 2023 when we have WiiM and sota dacs for not much money, doing a better job.
Buying a streamer without PEQ is not a bargain at any price. Two years ago things where very different.

That said, it will probably be well reviewed, just like bluesound node 2i. Its not cheap enough to get bad reviews.
What do you mean by "Digitalization of analog input"

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Does the anlog input RIAA for a turntable?

I’m not really getting the point of RCA inputs into a DAC. Is the mini 4 able to stream the RCA input to Roon? (There are Roon extensions for that with other hardware)

Yoku-San

Does the anlog input RIAA for a turntable?

I’m not really getting the point of RCA inputs into a DAC. Is the mini 4 able to stream the RCA input to Roon? (There are Roon extensions for that with other hardware)
If you use a small preamp for your turntable and connect it to the RCA input, the Mini 4 manages all your input sources and volume control so you only need a power amplifier for your setup. If it would not have an RCA input you would require an integrated amplifier allowing you to switch between DAC and turntable source.

AzReciOn

If you use a small preamp for your turntable and connect it to the RCA input, the Mini 4 manages all your input sources and volume control so you only need a power amplifier for your setup. If it would not have an RCA input you would require an integrated amplifier allowing you to switch between DAC and turntable source.
It seems to me that this is some very questionable use of a vinyl record player. The ADC will destroy all sense from the analog source.

It's more of a way to fit into a multi-channel system. Or to connect some not very high-quality source.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
It seems to me that this is some very questionable use of a vinyl record player. The ADC will destroy all sense from the analog source.

It's more of a way to fit into a multi-channel system. Or to connect some not very high-quality source.

I wouldn’t use a digital pre-amp anyway. At least not directly into a power amp. Imagine that thing glitches and you suddenly have 100% volume

totti1965

I only discovered these things six months ago, but they have changed my life.
No need to ever look into one of these crappy hifi-magazines!

It's like the difference between homeopathy-Voodoo and properly functioning conventional medicine.

Thank you, Matias, Pierre Aubert, Crinacle, Erin and @amirm and the other cool active members at audiosciencereview.com!

AzReciOn

I wouldn’t use a digital pre-amp anyway. At least not directly into a power amp. Imagine that thing glitches and you suddenly have 100% volume
I support it!
And I don't see the point of it either. In general, it does not seem very logical to me to try to turn an audio player into a main DAC and a central preamp. It is much more logical to equip it with digital outputs.

Yoku-San

I know, an amp with integrated Volume Control is much safer for the speakers. However a lot of people use DACs with digital volume control to connect directly to power amps. As far as I know there are also very few DACs which have shown such glitches.

I think a lot of people like to reduce the amount of devices on their Hifi shelves.

AzReciOn

I know, an amp with integrated Volume Control is much safer for the speakers. However a lot of people use DACs with digital volume control to connect directly to power amps. As far as I know there are also very few DACs which have shown such glitches.

I think a lot of people like to reduce the amount of devices on their Hifi shelves.
After all, the DAC is a simpler device from the point of view of software, so the chances of failure there are potentially much less (in my opinion). On the other hand, in my player (of another brand), the volume level has never been lost.

prerich

Software bugs can be one of the most frustrating things about a streamer. I voted not terrible - but if the software issues are corrected - it would be great!

Top Bottom