• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Info. on new Matrix Audio mini-i

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
Although it is being advertised as Roon Ready, it doesn’t appear on Roon‘s website as being certified. Given they shut down all non-certified devices yesterday, does anyone know what the situation is?
Yes, we are still working on getting certification from Roon. Please don't worry, the element X, element P, element M and element i are all passed tests and got certification months ago. We believe mini-i 3 and mini-i Pro 3 will get certification in a near future.

shmagoogly

Yes, we are still working on getting certification from Roon. Please don't worry, the element X, element P, element M and element i are all passed tests and got certification months ago. We believe mini-i 3 and mini-i Pro 3 will get certification in a near future.

Is there a general time frame in which we can expect RoonReady certification?

I ask because I have finally received my unit (Mini-i 3 Pro) and have been using it for the past 3 days.

To put it politely, I am let down that I am unable to send bit-perfect Tidal streams to my Mini-i 3 Pro via Roon Endpoint. Currently, Roon is only able to send audio via Airplay which is limited to 16-bit/44.1kHz.

I understand that my Mini-i 3 Pro is software-equipped with MA Player Lite. Is there any possibility or anticipation that Matrix Audio may furnish an MA Player Lite companion app for iOS or Android in the future to send bit-perfect streams to the device w/o the use of Roon? I understand this is NOT the case currently, but wonder if that is in the pipeline for future implementation.

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
Is there a general time frame in which we can expect RoonReady certification?

I ask because I have finally received my unit (Mini-i 3 Pro) and have been using it for the past 3 days.

To put it politely, I am let down that I am unable to send bit-perfect Tidal streams to my Mini-i 3 Pro via Roon Endpoint. Currently, Roon is only able to send audio via Airplay which is limited to 16-bit/44.1kHz.

I understand that my Mini-i 3 Pro is software-equipped with MA Player Lite. Is there any possibility or anticipation that Matrix Audio may furnish an MA Player Lite companion app for iOS or Android in the future to send bit-perfect streams to the device w/o the use of Roon? I understand this is NOT the case currently, but wonder if that is in the pipeline for future implementation.
Hi shmagoogly,
The status of the new mini-i series in Roon Labs' system is "Ready to test" in the past weeks. We have been in close contact with Roon during this time. But they still not disclose to us the schedule of testing. So we have no exact time frame of being certified.
So far as I know, the programmers have no adapt the MA Remote app to mini-i series.

shmagoogly

Hi shmagoogly,
The status of the new mini-i series in Roon Labs' system is "Ready to test" in the past weeks. We have been in close contact with Roon during this time. But they still not disclose to us the schedule of testing. So we have no exact time frame of being certified.
So far as I know, the programmers have no adapt the MA Remote app to mini-i series.

Thank you very much for the prompt response.

All in all, for my limited use case in which my Mini-i 3 Pro serves as a DAC+Amp w/ my Desktop Computer as a source via USB input, I am very pleased!

The integrated amplifier is extremely impressive and the ES9038Q2M does a great job D/A especially for Tidal MQA sources.

I have been A/B testing this against my Topping A90+D90 stack which costs over 50% more and am actually extremely impressed with how well it keeps up. I am outputting to Hifiman Sundara & Sennheiser HD 800 S via Headphone single-ended output. I am also using Tidal and Amazon Music HD streaming applications on desktop as my primary source of audio.

Again, extremely impressed with the performance on this little machine and will provide more detailed impressions once I get more time in.

The fact that there is locked-up potential as a full-fledged Roon streamer is icing on the cake.

Stay tuned.

Chagall

Forum Donor
Thank you very much for the prompt response.

All in all, for my limited use case in which my Mini-i 3 Pro serves as a DAC+Amp w/ my Desktop Computer as a source via USB input, I am very pleased!

The integrated amplifier is extremely impressive and the ES9038Q2M does a great job D/A especially for Tidal MQA sources.

I have been A/B testing this against my Topping A90+D90 stack which costs over 50% more and am actually extremely impressed with how well it keeps up. I am outputting to Hifiman Sundara & Sennheiser HD 800 S via Headphone single-ended output. I am also using Tidal and Amazon Music HD streaming applications on desktop as my primary source of audio.

Again, extremely impressed with the performance on this little machine and will provide more detailed impressions once I get more time in.

The fact that there is locked-up potential as a full-fledged Roon streamer is icing on the cake.

Stay tuned.

Very interested in hearing more impressions.

Thinking of buying it for exactly that use case (DAC amp via USB) with
Audeze iSine 20 primarily and Senn HD 600. Not sure how will it work with
IEMs though.

Dexter_prog

I'm reaaaally looking at this baby (pro version) as an upgrade from my SMSL M500. I can't find anything as versatile with MQA support in the 1000-1500 usd range, and I've looked at every brand out there.

somy

I'm reaaaally looking at this baby (pro version) as an upgrade from my SMSL M500. I can't find anything as versatile with MQA support in the 1000-1500 usd range, and I've looked at every brand out there.
I’m not sure it’s an upgrade to be honest. M500 is based on 9038pro and measures better than element i (which is a more expensive DAC from Matrix).

Dexter_prog

I’m not sure it’s an upgrade to be honest. M500 is based on 9038pro and measures better than element i (which is a more expensive DAC from Matrix).
I meant it as something that includes both a DAC and a streamer, but you comment has thrown me off a little. There's a user a couple of posts before mentioning this one keeps up to that topping D90, which costs double the price of the M500.

What would you consider an upgrade from the m500? I couldn't find anything that does MQA, has ethernet and is roon ready. I've been looking at the TEAC NT-505, but it doesn't do MQA from USB as far as I can tell (I think I can manage that using roon, as it does MQA from it's ethernet port), and it also becomes quite expensive for me (nearly 2100-2200 usd)

somy

I meant it as something that includes both a DAC and a streamer, but you comment has thrown me off a little. There's a user a couple of posts before mentioning this one keeps up to that topping D90, which costs double the price of the M500.

What would you consider an upgrade from the m500? I couldn't find anything that does MQA, has ethernet and is roon ready. I've been looking at the TEAC NT-505, but it doesn't do MQA from USB as far as I can tell (I think I can manage that using roon, as it does MQA from it's ethernet port), and it also becomes quite expensive for me (nearly 2100-2200 usd)
I was in the same boat looking for a streamer with good DAC. First of all if you use Roon mini-i pro is probably Ok, I wouldn't call it streamer though due to the lack of MA player. I'm not going to pay 699USD for Roon (and literally any software), so I have to go up in Matrix product line. I chose element M and I do experience many small software issues (I have another thread on this). Matrix is very active and listen to their users, so I have confidence that they can iron out those issues in t he future. If I were you I'd consider keeping M500 and add a RPI Roon endpoint.

Dexter_prog

I was in the same boat looking for a streamer with good DAC. First of all if you use Roon mini-i pro is probably Ok, I wouldn't call it streamer though due to the lack of MA player. I'm not going to pay 699USD for Roon (and literally any software), so I have to go up in Matrix product line. I chose element M and I do experience many small software issues (I have another thread on this). Matrix is very active and listen to their users, so I have confidence that they can iron out those issues in t he future. If I were you I'd consider keeping M500 and add a RPI Roon endpoint.
I wasn't considering Roon because of the 700-usd insane price tag, but then I found out they charge 100 usd per year, which was more reasonable. I'm currently using their trial and the software is way superior to others, so I'm definitely getting it at least for a year. Concerning MA lineup, I couldn't really understand the difference between the mini pro and their element series, some even haven older chips, but I learnt that we should only look at the chip, but rather the "implementation" (whatever that means). What would be the benefit of adding a Raspberry to my setup, ethernet? Frankly, I have may computer 1 meter apart from my DAC/amp, that's why I use USB.

Taking a look from a more distant perspective, it does look like I'm looking for a way to justify spending money on some upgrade or sidegrade I don't really need, haha. Maybe I should wait for whatever comes next in some months/years. Another thing that I wonder about is if a dual-dac setup would make a difference in sound or it is just a marketing technique.

somy

I wasn't considering Roon because of the 700-usd insane price tag, but then I found out they charge 100 usd per year, which was more reasonable. I'm currently using their trial and the software is way superior to others, so I'm definitely getting it at least for a year. Concerning MA lineup, I couldn't really understand the difference between the mini pro and their element series, some even haven older chips, but I learnt that we should only look at the chip, but rather the "implementation" (whatever that means). What would be the benefit of adding a Raspberry to my setup, ethernet? Frankly, I have may computer 1 meter apart from my DAC/amp, that's why I use USB.

Taking a look from a more distant perspective, it does look like I'm looking for a way to justify spending money on some upgrade or sidegrade I don't really need, haha. Maybe I should wait for whatever comes next in some months/years.

Well if you invest a RPI 4 as Roon endpoint, you wouldn't lose much if you want to get out from Roon in the future.
I think Roon is very nice but I don't think "it worth every penny" for my use :)
I do think M500 is a better USB DAC than Mini-i pro (which is aimed at entry level market as I understand).

Lobo_M

@MatrixAudio I received my delivery, mini-i pro 3. right now I'm waiting for Roon labs answer and I hope roon issue will be soon fix. My question is. Do I still need PC for listening music or it will be enough with mini-i pro 3 + ipad with roon remote application?

Wolvebain

@MatrixAudio I received my delivery, mini-i pro 3. right now I'm waiting for Roon labs answer and I hope roon issue will be soon fix. My question is. Do I still need PC for listening music or it will be enough with mini-i pro 3 + ipad with roon remote application?
Congrats buddy!!!

You would need a PC (or compatible NAS) to run Roon Server. That is the core app and database. Can be a headless NUC (as in small PC without a screen , keyboard and mouse).

The Matrix Mini-i Pro 3 has a has a built-in roon-endpoint, along with network connectivity. So you just connect that to your network, and it would see the Roon Server.

Can you check if the Matrix Mini-i Pro 3 connects to ROON on the network via Roon Advanced Audio Transport (RAAT), and not Airplay?

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
Congrats buddy!!!

You would need a PC (or compatible NAS) to run Roon Server. That is the core app and database. Can be a headless NUC (as in small PC without a screen , keyboard and mouse).

The Matrix Mini-i Pro 3 has a has a built-in roon-endpoint, along with network connectivity. So you just connect that to your network, and it would see the Roon Server.

Can you check if the Matrix Mini-i Pro 3 connects to ROON on the network via Roon Advanced Audio Transport (RAAT), and not Airplay?
Sure, It's RAAT, not AirPlay.
But we need to wait some more days for Roon certification.

Lobo_M

Congrats buddy!!!

Hmm, so it is not for me, I thought that no PC is needed and mini-i work like core&end point at the same time.
Looks nice, sounds good but still it is not perfect solution for Tidal. Again I'm stay in front of searching campain:-(
If it has Tidal client as Element I has it would be perfect

jazMirti

It would be nice with a review to see if it measures as well as the Element I.

nick-v

It’s not going to be as good as any element. It’s designed as entry level in matrix product line.
There's only a $90 difference between the Element i and the mini-i Pro3.

I'm a Roon user with a Tidal subscription (lots of MQA). I'm just wondering if the mini-i Pro3 would be a better option than the Element i for my desktop system considering the mini-i has MQA support (decoder/renderer) and the Element i has no MQA support.

Chagall

Forum Donor
Ouch- well that ends my considerations of this over the Element i- HPA clearly an afterthought in the mini.

What does higher impedance mean exactly? Doesn't work well with wide range of headphones?

jae

Major Contributor
What does higher impedance mean exactly? Doesn't work well with wide range of headphones?

When the output impedance is high there will be a greater voltage differential with higher powered loads. This will mean that a lower impedance transducer will not be driven as effectively, potentially losing SPL within the typical operational parameters of a particular amplifier. Impedance of a transducer is generally contingent on the frequency at which it operates, and if the output impedance is especially high, the resulting frequency response may be distinctly aberrant from what is expected. On a side note, on its own it will also lower the electrical damping factor which can especially affect lower frequency signals. This is just the basic theory in general, and how much any of this will actually affect headphones in general or your particular headphone is another thing. The general advice is to take the value of the lowest impedance headphones you plan to use with the device and divide by 8, and the output impedance should be less than this number. This will generally keep any potential deviations less than 1 dB which is imperceptible to mostly everyone. What I described applies mostly to dynamic drivers. Planar magnetic transducers are much less affected by some of these factors mostly due to their design (low mass etc). Most headphones these days, dynamic or otherwise, are low impedance and most well-made amplifiers now have an output impedance of less than 1 ohm or even less than 0.1 ohm so it is rarely even a concern when buying those devices more than what power the amplifier itself is capable of providing, or what other features the device has.

Top Bottom