• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio mini-i 4 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 26.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 106 56.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 21 11.2%

• Total voters

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Personally, my experience with Matrix Audio regarding firmware updates has been great. They are quick to fix bugs reported (if they are able to replicate the bug in their testing lab). Sometimes I get a custom firmware update in less than 48 hours. Currently I own a X-SABRE 3 and element i2 and both of them are bugs free.

musicforcities

Except now you have 2 devices instead of 1. I am a huge fan of these excellent all-in-one units.
The lack of a physical remote is real issue for me however and makes this far less convenient however. If a $30 streamer will output a clean digital signal at proper line level output, I can see opting for that plus a dac or even dac plus preamp (with a remote control!) in terms of flexibility and depending on space. Not having a remote for volume stinks. Most Apps are too awkward for such simple things especially for multiple users, while also being probe to lag and if they use a phones volume buttons, prone to accidental volume increases to harmful levels (in my clumsy experience).

If only AVRs besides a few DENONS could get their act together, or someone makes an excellent av processor for $600…then the all in one would be so much more enticing.

MatrixAudio

Audio Company
Hi @amirm
The dev team have addressed the issue of PCM filter, is this device still on your hand? Possible to let me know the serial number of the device? We can enable a beta firmware for the device so that you can verify if the issue has been fixed.

If the issue has been fixed, we will apply the fixes to the future firmware update which are available for all the users.

yoprado

question, if I got this matrix to source out arc from my tv, can i also output balanced into a minidsp flex's balanced input to get room correction to my amp and speakers? Daisy chain it to enjoy both a streaming source, tv connection, and room correction in two boxes?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
question, if I got this matrix to source out arc from my tv, can i also output balanced into a minidsp flex's balanced input to get room correction to my amp and speakers? Daisy chain it to enjoy both a streaming source, tv connection, and room correction in two boxes?
Why not? HDMI ARC is just a digital input in the MA mini-i Pro 4 which will be converted to analog by the MA DAC then output via XLR into the miniDSP FLEX Balanced.

My desk audio chain is very similar to what you want to do: MA X-SABRE 3 + UA VOLT 476P ——> Benchmark HPA4 ——> miniDSP FLEX Balanced (with Dirac Live) ——> Neumann KH150s + Rythmik Audio E22.

Gyosa1

I have the Eversolo A-6 , Wiim Pro Plus and will have the Eversolo A-8 when it is released, what sort of comparison are you interested in?
Keith
Keith ,

anyway you could arrange a A8 “loaner” for Amir to test ?
bk

yoprado

Why not? HDMI ARC is just a digital input in the MA mini-i Pro 4 which will be converted to analog by the MA DAC then output via XLR into the miniDSP FLEX Balanced.

My desk audio chain is very similar to what you want to do: MA X-SABRE 3 + UA VOLT 476P ——> Benchmark HPA4 ——> miniDSP FLEX Balanced (with Dirac Live) ——> Neumann KH150s + Rythmik Audio E22.
I guess I was worried about the conversion factors since the mini-i pro 4 will DAC and then the miniDSP will ADC then DAC output to the amp then speakers. I am assuming we probably won't have a loss in quality for that. The simpler chain would be to have something like a bluesound node that has a digital out so that there is only one DAC conversion in the chain going from Node -> flex -> amp. Thoughts?

SiR

Hi @amirm
The dev team have addressed the issue of PCM filter, is this device still on your hand? Possible to let me know the serial number of the device? We can enable a beta firmware for the device so that you can verify if the issue has been fixed.

If the issue has been fixed, we will apply the fixes to the future firmware update which are available for all the users.
@MatrixAudio was there any response from @amirm

Wish to see the issue of PCM filter has been rectified testing it by Amir

This could help the potential Buyers who are eyeing for this mini i4 and I'm one among them ;)

yodog

Well, with my experience with Matrix (or some other DACs where this setting exists), I think it might. ;)
Another example with the Topping E70:
Sure, it's not that big of a deal, but if ever you still have the product, and a few minutes to waste...
I have the e70v. What do you mean? I live under a rock…. Pls help thx

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,
Found one used for a fair price.
Will see if that fits my needs :)

Only thing missing for me is a headphone amplifier, which requires the pro version which adds a 250€ premium !

My question is : if I have sensitive headphones will I be able to use the RCA/XLR outputs with an adapter to listen to this with my headphones ?

Thanks for your replies

Regards

Nordling

Hi,
Found one used for a fair price.
Will see if that fits my needs :)

Only thing missing for me is a headphone amplifier, which requires the pro version which adds a 250€ premium !

My question is : if I have sensitive headphones will I be able to use the RCA/XLR outputs with an adapter to listen to this with my headphones ?

Thanks for your replies

Regards
If you would ask me, I would buy the Topping L30 (II) headphone amplifier and connect it to the Mini-i 4. Costs about USD 100 - 150.

Edit: price

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you would ask me, I would buy the Topping L30 (II) headphone amplifier and connect it to the Mini-i 4. Costs about USD 100 - 150.

Edit: price
Hi,

I have 2 or 3 separate headphobne amplifiers already and all superior to the Topping L30 that I also owned but sold after some weeks because I did not find it to be that good (despite magnificent measurements).

So the question is not "Can I hook up a headphone amplifier (I know I can do that) but can I use the RCA/XLR output as a headphone amplifier.

Scope is to check if the mini-4 can be sued as an all-in-one machine.... If it does, sell back this one and get the mini-4 PRo with an integrated headphone amplifier...

Regards.

Nordling

Hi,

I have 2 or 3 separate headphobne amplifiers already and all superior to the Topping L30 that I also owned but sold after some weeks because I did not find it to be that good (despite magnificent measurements).

So the question is not "Can I hook up a headphone amplifier (I know I can do that) but can I use the RCA/XLR output as a headphone amplifier.

Scope is to check if the mini-4 can be sued as an all-in-one machine.... If it does, sell back this one and get the mini-4 PRo with an integrated headphone amplifier...

Regards.
Hi, thanks for clarifying. I presumed you were looking for the least expensive but high quality solution to connect headphones.
To answer your question: I don't know but I can vagely remember someone asked the same question earlier on this forum somewhere...

Top Bottom