• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex Nilai500DIY Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 3.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 74 19.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 286 75.7%

• Total voters

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok wonder when this new Nilia design will be aviable as OEM building blocks ? For our amp builders to do their thing.

Rigth now it’s a DIY kit only proposition? As it performs better than any other current hypex design is it not expected that eventually this design will take over all hypex modules ?

pma

Major Contributor
The MP modules with SMPS included on the PCB are extremely versatile.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Found the source of noise around 10 kHz. I had the lid open during most of the tests to allow easy switching of the gain jumper. Alas, that caused some noise pick up that was especially accentuated at 28 dB gain. I repeated the key measurements using the lid closed and there were some improvements. See the review. I also ran the pop and wide bandwidth FFT spectrum. Also included in the review.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The modules with SMPS included on the PCB are extremely versatile.
It will limit your options though if the amp dies. With separate boards, you could see if the problem is the power supply or the amp. You also won't be able to mix and match power supplies and amps.

pma

Major Contributor
It will limit your options though if the amp dies. With separate boards, you could see if the problem is the power supply or the amp. You also won't be able to mix and match power supplies and amps.
What I meant is that both options are useful, amp only modules and MP modules.

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I still don't see the claimed "ten times better than NC400" by Hypex. Where's the upgrade? Why no just stick with Purifi or NC400? With almost similar performance (I think) for 200-400 bucks less?

Dirk_67

Found the source of noise around 10 kHz. I had the lid open during most of the tests to allow easy switching of the gain jumper. Alas, that caused some noise pick up that was especially accentuated at 28 dB gain. I repeated the key measurements using the lid closed and there were some improvements. See the review. I also ran the pop and wide bandwidth FFT spectrum. Also included in the review.
great news , thanks for your investigation in that issue

For those who hate the faceplate, there are sheer options available in silver and black:

https://deercreekaudio.com/products/ols/products/hypex-faceplate
thanks -> didn't know this special offer
I think that these are made by ghentaudio

Feyire

Any idea why there is a small leakage at mains frequency?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see that graph with "grain" instead of gain remains-guitar players love some grainy-ness when overdriving a tube amp but don't think one wants that with an amp of this type:p.

Dirk_67

On a purely technical standpoint, the Purifi modules are still a bit more polished, Nilai being the closest of them.
What do you mean exactly
and why are the Purifi not ahead of the Hypex modules in Amir's latest ranking then ?
(serious question out of my technical interest)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you mean exactly
and why are the Purifi not ahead of the Hypex modules in Amir's latest ranking then ?
(serious question out of my technical interest)
Because the ranking is a single number only, a relevant one, but still does not tell the whole story. Look for other frequencies, power knee, multitone, IMD, etc.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Because the ranking is a single number only, a relevant one, but still does not tell the whole story. Look for other frequencies, power knee, multitone, IMD, etc.
Exactly. And with these ultra low distortion modules, it is basically ranking the noise performance.

Dirk_67

Ah OK, I see,
the ranking is just a SINAD ranking
and there is more to take into account beyond the single SINAD value

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Ah OK, I see,
the ranking is just a SINAD ranking
and there is more to take into account beyond the single SINAD value
Correct.
The SINAD ranking is a conscious simplification, because in general many devices, which get high numbers are usually well engineered enough so not to have bugs in other places. However, as said before, one has to look at the other measurements too, just to be sure.

And this is simply a pure technical view as it says nothing about audible sound quality (one can probably detect bad SINAD around 60 to 80dB, so the 120 plus here are more than fine).

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Exactly. And with these ultra low distortion modules, it is basically ranking the noise performance.

but. what specifically do you think makes the Purifi "more polished"?

Top Bottom