• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET or Hypex Nilai500DIY?

OP
ommadusk

ommadusk

That's very clear, thank you.

Mario Soldier

Why does the Nilai500DIY have one 12V trigger socket and the NCX500 and the Purifi have two?

The NiIlai TRigger (look chematics)is in the power supply what is much better .(ther are many ways to power on/Of the NIlai supply.

Also if you will have monos in the 600 Watt Power Range the Nilai suppy is the better Option.

SMPS1200 has no TRigger Option.

I have some Purifi MOnos build with the 1200 SMPs it is overkill for this amp.

Audiophonics offers an purifi mono with the no more aviable NC400 power supply.

Mario Soldier

Hello. I was going to buy 2 Hypex Nilai500DIY mono amps but I decided to cancel and order the Audiophonics HPA-S400ET instead and I now realise that might have been a mistake. Here are their reviews
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hypex-nilai500diy-amplifier-review.41669/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ics-hpa-s400et-review-stereo-amplifier.32014/
Is it correct to say the Hypex Nilai500DIY has nearly all-round better performance than the Audiophonics HPA-S400ET according to Amir's tests? The Audiophonics is better in the 15khz frequency in the power vs distortion test but the Nilai is better in every other aspect that I can see, including power. So doesn't that make the Nilai better?

If it's the case that the Nilai has better perfomance, and it's number 4 in the SINAD rating at the time of the review, why is it that only 72.3% of people are currently voting for it as a great-golfing panther whereas 91.3% are currently voting for the Audiophonics which is number 6 in the SINAD rating? My own take on it is that the Audiophonics possibly looks slightly nicer, people might prefer having a single stereo amp over two monoblocks (note the crosstalk is good on the Audiophonics), and it costs slightly less (though more per watt). What am I missing here?

Bought an Nilai SMPS and an module at soudimports couse i didnt like ready build DIY Amps.

Hope i can build a real class two device without earth( the smps and the module are class 2) so why connect earth when it is done right you dont need!

Save of money is marginal payed 730 euro the full Kit is 1000 euro.

The Nilai have more Power in the 4-8 Ohm Range and are bridgable! The Purifi should not be bridged.

Hypex say 800 Watt (short time) for two modules with one power suplly and 1000 Watt for two modules and two power supplies.(i have emailed with an hypex engineer).

But it makes no sense with low impedance speakers.

For me the Purifies has to less power ( i have 9 Purifi ET400) for normal speakers.
And the new modul ET7040 does it not better it is just for speakers with much lower impedance.They bring no effort with 4-8 ohm Speakers.

And for pur bass drivers there are much cheaper amps with more power and DSP.

Merovinger uses only Pascal and Icepower based amps for his subs.

You can have what you can pay for double 21" with 5kw? no Problem

The underside of the NIlai Module is Polished??? never seen. As ever i cant hear any difference beetween Purifi Hypex NCx500 , Nilai Icepower or Pascal (think my skeakers are too bad).

Attachments

• hypex.png
    hypex.png
    220.3 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC04290.JPG
    DSC04290.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC04291.JPG
    DSC04291.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
OP
ommadusk

ommadusk

Thank you.

Mario Soldier

Thank you.

You dont have to buy the KIt,you csn buy the module and the smsps for 730 and the case what you like.Just a little bit of drilling.
I only use monos for bottom Channels , Purifi ET400 i only use for sourround and Atmos Channels because of the low 8 ohm Powr of only cleam 130Watt and 270 Watt in 4 Ohms.
The Nilai gives you nearly 200 Watt at 8 oHm clean and 340 at 4 Ohm Clean and the max Power is also higher over 500 Watts at 4 and 2 Ohms.The Power supply measures very better than the SMPS 1200(it much cleaner) and you have 5 years warranty for the parts!

I use all options to Power on the NiIlai from Standby (the momentary Switcch,the toggle switch and the Trigger ) Positive is it is it does not matter + or minus with the trigger.

First i thought of using an ice extend for powering the NIlai completly of or use an real trigger with an relay to power it completly of.

With my front boxes i bring an dual mono Hypex UCD400 to clipp, also an Pascal S2 pro modul in dual configuration (not if i use two BTL 900/1000 Watt)
So at the Moment i use two icepower 1200 As1 Modules 600/1200 Watt for no clippig.

But i bought Ncx500 (from Buckey) for my front it has clipping indicators but i dont tested because i wait for second unit(he is out of modules) .

First i wanted to buy the new NCx500 Amp from Audiophonics but they use only one Power supply its an stero Amp you lose 10% Headroom with one powr suplly and i dont like stereo Amps. If an Mono Amp goes bad you lose only one channel.
On one of the Photos with the big cae (i have no photo made with the ready Amp) its an 4 Channel for Atmos (build with an neurochrome splitter couse i use only one SMPS for 4 channels) under the modules and the Power supplie there are 10 mm thick Aluminium Plates and the Power supply uses an sddidional cooler (you cant have that from an manufacturer. The Purifi Mono in the middle(also with an 5mm Alu Plate + 3mm Bottom and the Power supply has contact to the front Panel) is an class 2 device with some capton and lexan for shielding.Trigger Leds an Auto Power on i made with an ice extend module (it switches the power supply completly of and if you need the ice extend has an feature to make the SMPS 1200 automatic ready for 110 or 230 Volt.

But my next Amps i buy from Buckey(cheap, automatic on of, clipping indicator!) i need the clipping indicators and automatic switch on.

The Nilai 500 for my Center i willswitch on with ththe Emotiva ET3 Trigger expansion Module couse it dont need an pream with an trigger you can have both use it as an trigger expander or it switches on when it gets power, so i combi it with one of my subwoofer i have to switch on with an wireless socket.

Yes i had could build in an wake on music module.But so i dont forget switch of one of my subs.

I have an Preamp now with XLR so i can probably use class 1 devices... (to much hum with chinch and earth connected before).

My first idea before buyinf NCx500 for the front (with clipping indicator) was ti bridge two NIlais.

But you only get real 500-600 Watt with one Power supply (hypex says) and 800 Watt is only very short term because of power suplly.

Hypex Engineer says i should use two Power supllies and two Nilai Modules for 1000 real Watt (but this is 1460 only for the parts for one mono).

You come in the price range of the NC2k Module, and i dont trustHypex,who knows in a year or so the NC2kx comes....

And Also Purifi will build and BTl Module ET9040BA . I will probably try this when it comes out i dont think it is over 1500 with power supply.

There goes nothing over Power , an clipping Amp sounds awful and i wonder how fast some Amps clip.

Attachments

• DSC04296.JPG
    DSC04296.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC03950.JPG
    DSC03950.JPG
    321.5 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC04010.JPG
    DSC04010.JPG
    307.2 KB · Views: 163
OP
ommadusk

ommadusk

You've got a lot of equipment. I'm actually only looking for an amp for a stereo setup and I've got nothing against stereo amps. I expect they're all reliable. Apart from the stereo Nilai they've all got enough power for my speakers so I'll just buy a pre-assembled amp. Thank you.

Mario Soldier

You've got a lot of equipment. I'm actually only looking for an amp for a stereo setup and I've got nothing against stereo amps. I expect they're all reliable. Apart from the stereo Nilai they've all got enough power for my speakers so I'll just buy a pre-assembled amp. Thank you.
If i am honestly i cant her any difference beetween Mono and Stero Amps.It is just for my psyche.I think when you buy an pre -assembled you have more chance if it comes to warranty....
But i will never switch back to class A/B with the Power i need i blows just my house fuses....i remember going to the fuse box at night....
You can also go with this.

And there is an nicer case but more expensive.

2x440 at 4 ohm before it clips.

The Purifi has also only 2x270 Watt at 4 Ohm clean Power. The Stereo NIlai has 2x 250 Watt clean Power at 4 Ohm or probably more 2x300

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 48726

You can't compare audibility of a difference
of level and audibility of noise or distortion.

You'll never hear the difference between 102dB SINAD and 105dB SINAD.
CD material is around 96dB anyway.

This is important to understand.

The SINAD excellence is used here mostly as an indicator of Excellence in engineering.
But it should not, in my opinion, be used as a hard criteria for hardware selection, or, at least, not as the main criteria. For power amps, power, load tolerance and gain adequacy are at least as important.

As long as it's clearing CD dynamic range at 5W -which, for a powerful amp, is already quite an achievement- without any other issue, I'd consider it as good enough.
(That's all the amps in blue on the ranking chart)

This is where I'd personally set my own (arbitrary) limit.
And your listening rooms noise floor is probably above 30 dB..

Mario Soldier

And your listening rooms noise floor is probably above 30 dB..
Mine is 25 dba but only all is subdued(also the windows) i live in a quite place, seperate hearing room etc.

But you are right i read not long ago PA Speakers are played so loud they can have an distortion abou1 5-10% ........(WOW i didnt know)

Not sure about the distortion of very loud played hifi speakers(of course it depends on speakers).

Made some measurements with room wizard yesterday-with an sperate microphone preamp for pc and an superlux ECM 999.

Looks not so bad i have a lot of bass traps etc basotect.

So i cant hear any diffenrence between an Emotiva PA1 stealth and an new Hypex Nilai (on sourounds and Atmos speakers).

But the Atmos run now on Purifi ET400 Modules... for my Psyche only i think .Not sure why i changed......

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But you are right i read not long ago PA Speakers are played so loud they can have an distortion abou1 5-10% ........(WOW i didnt know)
You should see the specifications of the amps the musicians use for their instruments. :)

In normal situations 5% THD is not really audible.

D

Deleted member 48726

Not sure about the distortion of very loud played hifi speakers(of course it depends on speakers).
5-10 % THD is nothing!

Take a closer look at the speaker reviews on here and see the distortion percentages on a near vertical line below a certain frequency on the small bookshelf speakers usually reviewed.

Many of them have the THD only 7-10 dB below fundamental frequency and sometimes even above.

OP
ommadusk

ommadusk

I've just received my Audiophonics HPA-S600NCX and I've put it on 19dB gain. That means it reaches maximum power at 5.33v. I'm using a 4v output DAC, the DX7 Pro+, which happens to be very good as my source and pre amplifier. I've realised that I'm not going to turning up the volume past -20-25dB when listening to music and it will be lower when watching TV. The Audiophonics Purifi HPA-S400ET has a 20dB gain which gives maximum power at 4.19v. I also ordered that amp and I'm going to compare the two with my DAC.

I got the HPA-S600NCX in case I wanted to upgrade my speakers and wanted the extra power without realising it was targeted at 5v and above pre amps! I'll see, I might have to buy a new DAC.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've just received my Audiophonics HPA-S600NCX and I've put it on 19dB gain. That means it reaches maximum power at 5.33v. I'm using a 4v output DAC, the DX7 Pro+, which happens to be very good as my source and pre amplifier. I've realised that I'm not going to turning up the volume past -20-25dB when listening to music and it will be lower when watching TV. The Audiophonics Purifi HPA-S400ET has a 20dB gain which gives maximum power at 4.19v. I also ordered that amp and I'm going to compare the two with my DAC.

I got the HPA-S600NCX in case I wanted to upgrade my speakers and wanted the extra power without realising it was targeted at 5v and above pre amps! I'll see, I might have to buy a new DAC.
The difference between 4V and 5.33V is only 2.5 dB. If you never turn up your volume to full, it will not make any difference.

OP
ommadusk

ommadusk

Thanks. Well it sounds excellent. I got the second amp because I was tired of waiting for the first one to arrive. An invoice got lost so it's been in transit for over a month. I'm still waiting for the VAT invoice so I haven't got it yet.

I'm considering getting an RME ADI-2 DAC and using it on the highest 19dB/6.9V gain on a bufferless Hypex or Purifi. Is it possible to work out what the input sensitivity for maximum power is on a bufferless Purifi, gain 12.8dB, and a bufferless NcoreX, gain 11.5dB? I know I'd gain 5db over 4v which is better for the DAC in terms of volume control and I'd get the SINAD benefit of using a lower amplifier gain. Would I also be able to use the RME DAC pre amp volume control at a higher dB range than I do now?

Last edited:
OP
ommadusk

ommadusk

Wow. This is an excellent amp. It's brought out the bass in my speakers which I wasn't getting with the Topping PA5 and it easily surpasses my Denon integrated amp. I'm very pleased with it. I'm sure if I got the RME DAC the difference would be small. I'm still intrigued to hear it though.

Last edited:

siggen

Wow. This is an excellent amp. It's brought out the bass in my speakers which I wasn't getting with the Topping PA5 and it easily surpasses my Denon integrated amp. I'm very pleased with it. I'm sure if I got the RME DAC the difference would be small. I'm still intrigued to hear it though.
Objectively, you aren't supposed to hear any differences, but still, any more subjective details compared to the Denon ? I have a Denon x4300H avr, and also looking at this audiophonics model...

OP
ommadusk

ommadusk

Objectively, you aren't supposed to hear any differences, but still, any more subjective details compared to the Denon ? I have a Denon x4300H avr, and also looking at this audiophonics model...
I should have written that both the PA5 and Denon PMA 800-NE are underpowered for my speakers. It's unfair to make a conclusion.

OP
ommadusk

ommadusk

Yea sorry I don't think I'd be able to describe it, but it sounded worse than the PA5 and although I'm wondering whether I can improve the NcoreX, I've never heard music better so I don't know if I'm missing anything in the sound at all, I can only say how excellent it is.

OP
ommadusk

ommadusk

Okay. I'm going to stick with my current DAC and only change it if I want new functions. I've learnt that because my DAC increases the bits to 32 I don't have to worry about the noise when using the DAC volume control. I'm going to return the Audiophonics HPA S400ET when it arrives. This amplifier is so good. Thank you to everyone who's helped me in this thread you gave me great advice. Thank you particularly to @marX for suggesting I get the Audiophonics NCX500 (HPA-S600NCX).

Top Bottom