• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET or Hypex Nilai500DIY?

ommadusk

Hello. I was going to buy 2 Hypex Nilai500DIY mono amps but I decided to cancel and order the Audiophonics HPA-S400ET instead and I now realise that might have been a mistake. Here are their reviews
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hypex-nilai500diy-amplifier-review.41669/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ics-hpa-s400et-review-stereo-amplifier.32014/
Is it correct to say the Hypex Nilai500DIY has nearly all-round better performance than the Audiophonics HPA-S400ET according to Amir's tests? The Audiophonics is better in the 15khz frequency in the power vs distortion test but the Nilai is better in every other aspect that I can see, including power. So doesn't that make the Nilai better?

If it's the case that the Nilai has better perfomance, and it's number 4 in the SINAD rating at the time of the review, why is it that only 72.3% of people are currently voting for it as a great-golfing panther whereas 91.3% are currently voting for the Audiophonics which is number 6 in the SINAD rating? My own take on it is that the Audiophonics possibly looks slightly nicer, people might prefer having a single stereo amp over two monoblocks (note the crosstalk is good on the Audiophonics), and it costs slightly less (though more per watt). What am I missing here?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Both are great, can't go wrong with either. Just choose based on power, price, design, availability, etc.

OP
ommadusk

ommadusk

They're both available amd they've got ample power. The costs are pretty similar. Either design is ok. I'm more interested in performance. Do I buy the amp that measures about 3dB better on all frequencies apart from the one 15khz frequency or do I buy the amp that measures about 3dB better on that frequency. I'd like to listen to them to compare them but I'm not able to return the Hypex. Thanks for your help.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
One thing to perhaps help you is to check you are comparing amplifiers with the same gain setting. It's easier to get good noise figures with low gain. At high gain settings they look close to me.

I do not have experience with either device, but looking at Amir's reviews suggests they are both measurably state of the art for power amplifiers at this level of power.

delta76

Major Contributor
Hello. I was going to buy 2 Hypex Nilai500DIY mono amps but I decided to cancel and order the Audiophonics HPA-S400ET instead and I now realise that might have been a mistake. Here are their reviews
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hypex-nilai500diy-amplifier-review.41669/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ics-hpa-s400et-review-stereo-amplifier.32014/
Is it correct to say the Hypex Nilai500DIY has nearly all-round better performance than the Audiophonics HPA-S400ET according to Amir's tests? The Audiophonics is better in the 15khz frequency in the power vs distortion test but the Nilai is better in every other aspect that I can see, including power. So doesn't that make the Nilai better?

If it's the case that the Nilai has better perfomance, and it's number 4 in the SINAD rating at the time of the review, why is it that only 72.3% of people are currently voting for it as a great-golfing panther whereas 91.3% are currently voting for the Audiophonics which is number 6 in the SINAD rating? My own take on it is that the Audiophonics possibly looks slightly nicer, people might prefer having a single stereo amp over two monoblocks (note the crosstalk is good on the Audiophonics), and it costs slightly less (though more per watt). What am I missing here?
people rating is a poor indicator, here or anywhere else. at the time purifi is reviewed it was new & great. the bar has raised so people has higher expectations.
as some said above, both are great. can't go wrong with either.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

Nobody is stopping people from voting for irrational reasons, and not all people, who voted on one product, will also have voted on the other.

One possibility is that people, who have a needless hate towards Class-D typology, were more present on the forum in the times when the Nilai review has been highlighted.

Another group of people who could possibly be voting pessimistically out of spite, are the ones who believe that the chase for ever higher SINAD numbers is a waste of time.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
They're both available amd they've got ample power. The costs are pretty similar. Either design is ok. I'm more interested in performance. Do I buy the amp that measures about 3dB better on all frequencies apart from the one 15khz frequency or do I buy the amp that measures about 3dB better on that frequency. I'd like to listen to them to compare them but I'm not able to return the Hypex. Thanks for your help.

The performance difference is most likely only noticeable on paper. If you did a blind comparison of the two, you'd probably struggle to hear any of it. More likely it would be absolutely impossible, and any differences being heard would be caused by one amp running out of power before the other.

EdW

Both superb amplifiers. The Hypex delivers a little more output into 8 ohms. The Purifi 1ET400 modules can deliver a little more current before going into limiting. So if your speakers have an impedance minimum which is low (down to 2.8 to 3 ohms in the bass/mid range for example) then the Purifi based design may deliver more power. For really difficult loads you need an amplifier based on the Purifi 1ET700 modules . . .

OP
ommadusk

ommadusk

One thing to perhaps help you is to check you are comparing amplifiers with the same gain setting. It's easier to get good noise figures with low gain. At high gain settings they look close to me.
I've got a DAC/preamp with a balanced output. My current DAC only outputs 4v but I think I'll be getting a new DAC that outputs 5v. So I'll be using them on middle gain.
The performance difference is most likely only noticeable on paper. If you did a blind comparison of the two, you'd probably struggle to hear any of it. More likely it would be absolutely impossible, and any differences being heard would be caused by one amp running out of power before the other.
You may be right but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Both superb amplifiers. The Hypex delivers a little more output into 8 ohms. The Purifi 1ET400 modules can deliver a little more current before going into limiting. So if your speakers have an impedance minimum which is low (down to 2.8 to 3 ohms in the bass/mid range for example) then the Purifi based design may deliver more power. For really difficult loads you need an amplifier based on the Purifi 1ET700 modules . . .
My speakers are 3.8 ohms according to the manufacturer https://www.polkaudio.com/en-gb/product/home-speakers/bookshelf/reserve-r200/R200.html. The review's here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nd-measurements-a-really-nice-surprise.23502/
They're very good although they lack some needed bass and they're a bit fussy about direction. I'm going to get a subwoofer or two. I can't see myself getting new speakers or building my own speakers any time soon. Are 2-3 ohm speakers generally ones that are self-built because I've not seen them talked about very much?

OP
ommadusk

ommadusk

Nobody is stopping people from voting for irrational reasons, and not all people, who voted on one product, will also have voted on the other.

One possibility is that people, who have a needless hate towards Class-D typology, were more present on the forum in the times when the Nilai review has been highlighted.

Another group of people who could possibly be voting pessimistically out of spite, are the ones who believe that the chase for ever higher SINAD numbers is a waste of time.

That's all possible. When the Audiophonics came out there was less competition and now there's more competition . Audiophonics got in early. I have to say their service has been very good. Some people might have also given the Nilai500DIY a less positive vote because it's 'DIY' (though actually you only need to follow the instructions).

HoweSound

The Audiophonics probably should be compared to the Hypex Nilai 500 stereo amp rather than the dual monoblocks. I have the Nilai stereo version, purchased pre-assembled - I am very happy with it. I doubt you could discern any difference between either amp in a blind test. I would be happy to trade my Nilai stereo for the Audiophonics purely for aesthetic reasons.

EdW

I've got a DAC/preamp with a balanced output. My current DAC only outputs 4v but I think I'll be getting a new DAC that outputs 5v. So I'll be using them on middle gain.

You may be right but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

My speakers are 3.8 ohms according to the manufacturer https://www.polkaudio.com/en-gb/product/home-speakers/bookshelf/reserve-r200/R200.html. The review's here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nd-measurements-a-really-nice-surprise.23502/
They're very good although they lack some needed bass and they're a bit fussy about direction. I'm going to get a subwoofer or two. I can't see myself getting new speakers or building my own speakers any time soon. Are 2-3 ohm speakers generally ones that are self-built because I've not seen them talked about very much?
The Polk loudspeaker seems to be a relatively easy speaker to drive - but it would be nice to have an impedance graph to confirm! So the Nilai monoblock amps should be entirely happy driving these loudspeakers. The stereo version of the Nilai amp will not deliver the full amplifier power into 3.8 ohm both channels, since the single power unit will be unable to supply the necessary current needed by both channels driving 3.8 ohm. The stereo amp is best suited for loudspeakers nearer 8 ohms.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello. I was going to buy 2 Hypex Nilai500DIY mono amps but I decided to cancel and order the Audiophonics HPA-S400ET instead and I now realise that might have been a mistake.
Frankly, I can't imagine how that could be a mistake.
This is an amazing amp.
(They both probably are.
But I only own the Audiophonics Purifi.)

OP
ommadusk

ommadusk

The Polk loudspeaker seems to be a relatively easy speaker to drive - but it would be nice to have an impedance graph to confirm! So the Nilai monoblock amps should be entirely happy driving these loudspeakers. The stereo version of the Nilai amp will not deliver the full amplifier power into 3.8 ohm both channels, since the single power unit will be unable to supply the necessary current needed by both channels driving 3.8 ohm. The stereo amp is best suited for loudspeakers nearer 8 ohms.
The Audiophonics probably should be compared to the Hypex Nilai 500 stereo amp rather than the dual monoblocks. I have the Nilai stereo version, purchased pre-assembled - I am very happy with it. I doubt you could discern any difference between either amp in a blind test. I would be happy to trade my Nilai stereo for the Audiophonics purely for aesthetic reasons.
I asked in the review thread and somebody said the same thing, that the stereo version didn't have enough current (power? I'm not well versed) so I was only considering these two but comparing the two stereo amps would be comparing like for like. I'm not really drawn to either of their looks but I can live with them.
Frankly, I can't imagine how that could be a mistake.
This is an amazing amp.
(They both probably are.
But I only own the Audiophonics Purifi.)
I'm sure they're both excellent. I haven't heard the Purifi or the Nilai. My first and last great amp was the Topping PA5 which stopped working and both these amps have even better measurements than that, and I'll be getting the most out of my speakers for the first time. I'll be pleased with either amp.

Edit. I'm going to try getting the Nilai. Thanks everybody for your help.

Last edited:

HoweSound

The stereo version of the Nilai amp will not deliver the full amplifier power into 3.8 ohm both channels, since the single power unit will be unable to supply the necessary current needed by both channels driving 3.8 ohm. The stereo amp is best suited for loudspeakers nearer 8 ohms.
This is correct as I understand the specs. My speakers are 8 ohm and 260 watts per side is more than adequate:). The stereo is rated at 300 watts per side into 4 or 2 ohms, whereas the mono is supposed to put out 525 watts into 4 ohms and 500 into 2. It looks like there is room in the stereo chassis to stuff in two power supplies and create a dual mono in one box, although heat dissipation may then be a problem.

marX

Why not get the audiophonics NCX500 based amp? It have the 1200 power supply which would be more than sufficient.

OP
ommadusk

ommadusk

Why not get the audiophonics NCX500 based amp? It have the 1200 power supply which would be more than sufficient.
I'd previously dismissed it because I thought the Nilai500DIY was better, am I right? Comparing the SINADs in the top 20 the Nilai gives 109dB in medium gain and the NCX500 gives 106dB with the buffer. I admit I've been focusing on that number because I don't know which measurements are the most important.

Comparing them I see that the frequency response is slightly better for the Nilai. It drops off after 20k wheras the NCX500 drops off slighlty before but Amir seems happy with both. The shapes of the power vs distorion @4 ohms 45 kHz bandwidth graphs are different. I'm not sure what to make of them. The Nilai500DIY balloons >10kHZ which Amir is surprised by and calls 'a fair bit of rise in distortion', and the plot is slightly more jagged, but perhaps the numbers are better?

I'm considering the NCX500 again now. The NCX500 (stereo amp) is cheaper but I'm not concerned by that because it's a one purchase for me.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd previously dismissed it because I thought the Nilai500DIY was better, am I right? Comparing the SINADs in the top 20 the Nilai gives 109dB in medium gain and the NCX500 gives 106dB with the buffer. I admit I've been focusing on that number because I don't know which measurements are the most important.

Comparing them I see that the frequency response is slightly better for the Nilai. It drops off after 20k wheras the NCX500 drops off slighlty before but Amir seems happy with both. The shapes of the power vs distorion @4 ohms 45 kHz bandwidth graphs are different. I'm not sure what to make of them. The Nilai500DIY balloons >10kHZ which Amir is surprised by and calls 'a fair bit of rise in distortion', and the plot is slightly more jagged, but perhaps the numbers are better?

I'm considering the NCX500 again now. The NCX500 (stereo amp) is cheaper but I'm not concerned by that because it's a one purchase for me.
The 3 dB SINAD difference is the same.

The 10 kHz ballooning is harmonics of 10 kHz, meaning 20, 30, 50 etc kHz. All inaudible.

The tiny drop in 20 kHz is also inaudible.

So with else being the same, it comes down to having more power (NCx500 wins here), price, aesthetics, availability, etc. Just like I wrote before. :)

OP
ommadusk

ommadusk

The 3 dB SINAD difference is the same.
You made me look that up. It obviously depends on a number of things. I found this thread https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/audibility-of-changes-in-volume.38040/#:~:text=But according to this study,3db change is barely audible By my count, there are 6 people claiming they can hear the difference and 2 people who don't give an opinion. The consensus is that the difference is audible, at least with regard to tones, without music masking. Should I discount that?

Edit:)What if I said I prefer the aesthetics of the Nilai500DIY but I'll have it out of sight?;)

Last edited:
OP
ommadusk

ommadusk

Why does the Nilai500DIY have one 12V trigger socket and the NCX500 and the Purifi have two?

Top Bottom