• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex Nilai500DIY Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 3.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 74 19.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 286 75.7%

• Total voters

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
but. what specifically do you think makes the Purifi "more polished"?
This doesn't exist on the Purifi, indicating a slightly better handling of the control loop:
1675694318943.png

This is flat on the Purifi, indicating a slightly better handling of the distortion phenomena:
1675694553685.png

There is also this "10 kHz forest" to be understood. If this would be due to EMI, the Purifi would clearly be superior on this aspect.

prerich

Seems like another great power amp (with a lot of power). Bravo Zulu (BZ)

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This doesn't exist on the Purifi, indicating a slightly better handling of the control loop:
View attachment 262821

This is flat on the Purifi, indicating a slightly better handling of the distortion phenomena:
View attachment 262822
Is any of this audible and reproduced consistently?

Seems a lot of hairsplitting when the NCoreX 500 is delivering more power output vs 1ET400A.

There is also this "10 kHz forest" to be understood. If this would be due to EMI, the Purifi would clearly be superior on this aspect.

Is there another 10 kHz forest that was not due to Amir’s open case?

pma

Major Contributor
Black track, THD+N vs. level, there is a measurement bug near 10W. Not the amplifier issue. Sometimes it happens and one needs to repeat the measurement to get rid off it.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Is any of this audible and reproduced consistently?

Seems a lot of hairsplitting when the NCoreX 500 is delivering more power output vs 1ET400A.
Please re-read my initial post...
Is there another 10 kHz forest that was not due to Amir’s open case?
I missed this one. So the Purifi is clearly superior on the EMI aspect.

Black track, THD+N vs. level, there is a measurement bug near 10W. Not the amplifier issue. Sometimes it happens and one needs to repeat the measurement to get rid off it.
Oh, do you mean that Hypex published buggy measurements on their datasheet?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@boXem not sure which initial post you mean?

I did not know the source of your graphs but am still pragmatic about claims of superiority when measurement minutiae is in question.

If it is not audibly meaningful, not sure why I would want one vs the other (and I own most of them).:)

p.s. btw, all the NCoreX data sheets I have are marked PRELIMINARY

Last edited:

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I see here only one jumper for the gain selection, is this possible after the "conversion" balanced
to single ended? I' still curious about the input impedance in the different gains?????

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I see here only one jumper for the gain selection, is this possible after the "conversion" balanced
to single ended? I' still curious about the input impedance in the different gains?????
Most probably the value of the "gain" resistor from the instrumentation amplifier is switched between value 1, value 2 and open.

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Most probably the value of the "gain" resistor from the instrumentation amplifier is switched between value 1, value 2 and open.
If we know the input resistances we know more to discuss.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since distortion rises so much with power at 10khz and above, it would be interesting to see a power comparison on multi-tone with a cap of 100db SINAD or .001% THD+N. I'm not sure of the math and if SINAD/THD+N can be calculated that way, so maybe just cap where actual distortion hits 100db. I think that would be an interesting comparison point between amps. It doesn't have to be 100db. It could be 96db, since that's 16-bit's max. Then we'd know "audio perfection" at full power, or something similar.

Dunlavyphile

Forum Donor
Bummer, I just learned that the faceplates offered on Deer Creek Audio do not fit the new Nilai kits. Sorry about the misinformation. I imagine compatible faceplates will become available at some point.

mppix

NAD 2200 brochure:

View attachment 262722

more:
View attachment 262723

Whether these Nilai units would like being bridged due to the (-) return actually having feedback paths, I don't know. NAD managed to achieve decent performance with the Purifi units in bridge mode, although IIRC Purifi didn't recommend it.

It would be interesting to actually measure what gains in various parameters are to be had on the same amp (common supply) by conventional and one channel inverted topologies. With SMPS supplies, there would be much less to gain IMO as compared to a transformer based supply as the SMPS is already operating and replenishing the PSU caps at several hundred kHz, not 100/120Hz.

These Nilai performance numbers are spectacular enough as they stand. :)

Is it possible that this matters only if the amp is single ended? .. and the supply provides +/-Vdc centered on GND.
I always thought the Hypex amps are balanced (H-bridge) but I could be wrong.

mppix

Yes, by tweaking the value of resistor R141. Complete removal is lowest gain.
Awesome. Is there somewhere a description or discussion for this?
(I don't want to take over this thread)

Top Bottom