• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex Nilai500DIY Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 3.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 74 19.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 286 75.7%

• Total voters

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How can peak power be less than max power?

uwotm8

15Khz is a non-issue to me (36, M). I bet the importance of 10kHz varies a lot between 25 and 45 years since at 45 you should be roughly <30dB down in sensitivity at 10kHz regardless of hearing damage. The -80dB distortion will then be back at -110dB for a 45yo male listener.
Well if we look that way, -80 dB is exceeding needs of 95%+ listeners so you're basically okay with almost any proper amp, right?
The next point is: is that even a proper hobby for a respectable 45+ y.o. male:p

For me that buzz around how D-class amazes looks a bit funny. Especially that part when you say "wait, maybe..." and the answer is "don't look that way, sir, nothing interesting there' or a classic PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT'S DIFFERENT:facepalm:

Sokel

Master Contributor
15Khz is a non-issue to me (36, M). I bet the importance of 10kHz varies a lot between 25 and 45 years since at 45 you should be roughly <30dB down in sensitivity at 10kHz regardless of hearing damage. The -80dB distortion will then be back at -110dB for a 45yo male listener.
Shall we talk technically about state of the art design or what's barely enough when we listen to music?
We have to discriminate those two.
Or else we can just say that even 60db SINAD is enough (and it is in most cases) and be done with it.

Dirk_67

thanks @amirm for this well done test:

why is written above some power diagrams of this monoblock "both cahnnels driven" ?

it may be that you get rid of the 10kHz problem if you put away the LS-output cable from the input XLR -> see attachment
(IMHO too close on the DUT, like you can see in the first picture of this review thread),

and as always with higher power class-D: use tightly "drilled together" LS-output cable (it is not the case with this kit from hypex)

----------
so sad that almost the complete half of this thread is (again) about the funny (but useless) video of the three stooges again :confused:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 13-06-54 Nilay500DIY Mono-kit Assembly_R01_221212.cdr - Nilay500DIY M...png
    Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 13-06-54 Nilay500DIY Mono-kit Assembly_R01_221212.cdr - Nilay500DIY M...png
    251.4 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:

martijn86

Shall we talk technically about state of the art design or what's barely enough when we listen to music?
We have to discriminate those two.
Or else we can just say that even 60db SINAD is enough (and it is in most cases) and be done with it.
Totally agree, we are testing the engineering quality. That's why ASR is useful. But I also consider if I want to get one and in that case the technical 'problem' is way less problematic for me.

I love Hyped amplifiers and I think I'm ready to finally build a 4ch DIY kit myself (2 stereo versions in one case).

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
thanks @amirm for this well done test:

why is written above some power diagrams of this monoblock "both cahnnels driven" ?

it may be that you get rid of the 10kHz problem if you put away the LS-output cable from the input XLR (too close, like you can see in the first picture),

When we get into diagnosing potential improvements at -140 dB, my test equipment cannot measure. After seeing the review, had mentioned the cable routing to Amir. I did not notice this until after I has shipped the amp, but the Hypex instruction manual routes the cable towards the middle of the case. I did not do as it brings it in close proximity to the amp coil and have seen problems in that case. It also puts stress on the amp end of that cable. Plan to check with Hypex as the website pics show routing more like I chose…

1675602088088.jpeg

I also thought I had a tighter wind on the amp power cables, but they need to be pushed down for the top cover to slide on and are pushed more to the side than Hypex’s manual indicates. Some tie wrapping or a cable sleeve would improve.

On this topic, I like that the sides of the new case design makes for space for cable routing. The control cabling was clearly meant to go there. On the other side, the AC power cable should be tucked nicely in there too. I have already seen builds where the AC cable was routed over the amp module. If you want an amp performance to live up to the specs, it is important to be careful about wire routing. The manual could emphasize this better imo. Plenty of customers will build these and not measure them at all. This makes it even more essential to check cable routing as part of the build review.:)

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My horn speakers are 110dB sensitive down to 80Hz. Would this effect how much noise I can hear from the Nilai?
What amplifier are you using now and how far away are you sitting?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
My horn speakers are 110dB sensitive down to 80Hz. Would this effect how much noise I can hear from the Nilai?

While playing music? No. Even if you tried to commit suicide by sound, the noise would still only be barely detectable in level, and you'd have a lethal amount of music SPL on top of it, undoubtedly demanding your attention quite a bit more than the 10kHz noise :D

Can't find a quote on residual noise from the Nilai, so don't know how your situation would be in terms of hiss.

EDIT: Sorry for edditing back and forth between noise and IMD. Thought I was answering a different user.

... into a resistive (kind!) load.

What does it look like driving a real speaker?

//

Good question. Maybe @amirm will need to invest in one of these to silence that neverending objection: https://www.audiograph.se/

Last edited:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When we get into diagnosing potential improvements at -140 dB, my test equipment cannot measure. After seeing the review, had mentioned the cable routing to Amir. I did not notice this until after I has shipped the amp, but the Hypex instruction manual routes the cable towards the middle of the case. I did not do as it brings it in close proximity to the amp coil and have seen problems in that case. It also puts stress on the amp end of that cable. Plan to check with Hypex as the website pics show routing more like I chose…

View attachment 262503

I also thought I had a tighter wind on the amp power cables, but they need to be pushed down for the top cover to slide on and are pushed more to the side than Hypex’s manual indicates. Some tie wrapping or a cable sleeve would improve.

On this topic, I like that the sides of the new case design makes for space for cable routing. The control cabling was clearly meant to go there. On the other side, the AC power cable should be tucked nicely in there too. I have already seen builds where the AC cable was routed over the amp module. If you want an amp performance to live up to the specs, it is important to be careful about wire routing. The manual could emphasize this better imo. Plenty of customers will build these and not measure them at all. This makes it even more essential to check cable routing as part of the build review.:)
Please provide more pics if you find a more optimal routing or if amir does with his ability to actually check .
Should not hypex suggest an optimal layout?

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In general I think this is the future for amplifiers and that this specimen is very good and probably good enough for anyone :) nitpicking aside

Dirk_67

View attachment 262503

thanks for pointing that out in detail,
this is almost the same experience I had when I built it ...

----------

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hard to see why Hypex would insist on the convoluted routing of the mono amp speaker wiring (as shown in its manual), when the stereo one clearly shows the more straightforward approach. :confused:

1675617167300.png

mppix

Looks like a fantastic iteration.
Can you also adjust gains with the Hypex NC400?

Feyire

Looks like a fantastic iteration.
Can you also adjust gains with the Hypex NC400?
Yes, by tweaking the value of resistor R141. Complete removal is lowest gain.

Top Bottom