• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research B24 AC Cord Review

Rate this AC Cable

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 373 95.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 13 3.3%

• Total voters

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
He’s come a long way since the ‘dirty t-shirt’ .
Keith

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I really don’t know what he’s thinking :facepalm: crying treatment is so 2019… 2023 will the the year of high temperature annealing! It yields a much more stable crystalline structure and gives much smoother sound. And don’t forget the blackest backgrounds you’ll ever not heat!

Speedskater

Major Contributor
'cryo' treating cords and cables can be very hard on the insulation. Also will void any 'UL' listing due to storage temperature limits.
While there may be minute gains to the copper conductors, it will disappear when the cord is flexed.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
don’t forget the blackest backgrounds you’ll ever not heat
If you place the power wires on your ears, you'll easily hear the difference his power cords make.

egellings

Major Contributor
I really don’t know what he’s thinking :facepalm: crying treatment is so 2019… 2023 will the the year of high temperature annealing! It yields a much more stable crystalline structure and gives much smoother sound. And don’t forget the blackest backgrounds you’ll ever not heat!
Do the crystals give the cable the strength needed to do some heavy veil-lifting?

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Although cryo-treatment for cables doesn't do anything for audio, there ARE some instances where cryo-treatment provides some benefit. I would think that automotive items like some engine or suspension parts might exhibit increased strength, toughness or resilience after such treatment. Maybe something like the shaft of a golf club could benefit- maybe even metal eyeglass frames - bicycle frames or wheels- fine quality knives - certain mechanical items like these could benefit. Maybe.

But not HiFi cables or other parts of the system, except MAYBE phono pickup cantilever tubes. Again a big maybe.

Now, that is not to say that cryo-treatment is completely useless in audio. I understand that placing audiophiles who are "believers" when it comes to wire in a bath of liquid nitrogen that the background noise in any listening room where they are present decreases markedly....

DonR

Major Contributor
Although cryo-treatment for cables doesn't do anything for audio, there ARE some instances where cryo-treatment provides some benefit. I would think that automotive items like some engine or suspension parts might exhibit increased strength, toughness or resilience after such treatment. Maybe something like the shaft of a golf club could benefit- maybe even metal eyeglass frames - bicycle frames or wheels- fine quality knives - certain mechanical items like these could benefit. Maybe.

But not HiFi cables or other parts of the system, except MAYBE phono pickup cantilever tubes. Again a big maybe.

Now, that is not to say that cryo-treatment is completely useless in audio. I understand that placing audiophiles who are "believers" when it comes to wire in a bath of liquid nitrogen that the background noise in any listening room where they are present decreases markedly....
Yes. It is used to treat metals to remove slight imperfections in the surface to obtain better wear characteristics as told to me by a metallurgist. Probably, this is where the audiophile myth originates. Like all of them, a seed of truth is planted and cultivated via the waters of ignorance into a tree of stupidity

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I understand that placing audiophiles who are "believers" when it comes to wire in a bath of liquid nitrogen
Talk about chilling out :oops:

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Although cryo-treatment for cables doesn't do anything for audio, there ARE some instances where cryo-treatment provides some benefit. I would think that automotive items like some engine or suspension parts might exhibit increased strength, toughness or resilience after such treatment.

If you hang your reputation on cables you want to make sure their tensile strength is high enough. Depending on how big your reputation is, of course.

DanielT

Major Contributor

If, a big IF, now phono pickup cantilever tubes would be affected by cryo freezing, how do you know that pickup X is affected in the same way as pickup Y when they are frozen and then thawed? Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse when cryo is done, or? Would pickup X be better, or worse, if it underwent multiple cryo freezes?
Note given the thought experiment that this stuff would change during a cryo freeze.

If we talk about utilizing what the cold creates for conditions, there are some areas in electronics where this exists:

In electronics, cryoelectronics or cryolectronics is the study of superconductivity under cryogenic conditions and its applications.[1] It is also described as the operation of power electronic devices at cryogenic temperatures.[2] Practical applications of this field is quite broad, although it is particularly useful in areas where cryogenic environment exists such as superconducting technologies and spacecraft design.[2] It also became a special branch of cryophysics and cryotechnics and plays a role in operations that require high resolution and precision measurements.[3]

Cryoelectronic devices include the SQUIDs or the superconducting quantum interference devices, which represent magnetic sensors of highest sensitivity.[4] They serve as the backbone of applications that range from materials evaluation, geological and environmental prospecting, and medical diagnostics, among others.
[4]

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

Yes, after a very short transient peak.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
If copper can't be permanently magnetized, why would anyone care about copper being magnetized? There is some serious woo fu going on here. Demagnetizing copper. Kind of like non-alcoholic liquor. Once it is done, you just have flavored sugar water left.

D700

"Still getting some sibilance above 10khz ..."
qoe68qlyfqx31.jpg

egellings

Major Contributor
Isn’t that what you start with when maken liquor ? ;) Well at least then you apparently can reverse the process ;)
Pruno! Made in plastic bags hidden by prisoners in their cells. Anything fermentable goes, and yeast is what is in the air and its spores land in the open bag. As for liquor, the process can't go backwards because it gets consumed. Pruno did have some sharp corners on it when going down, however.

Top Bottom