• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research B24 AC Cord Review

Rate this AC Cable

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 373 95.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 13 3.3%

• Total voters

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I pretty much disagree.

These last few years (ASR, Audioholics, Archimago and so on could certainly be the cause), I've seen more and more people on other audiophile forums stopped asking recommandations for cables synergy. Besides, even on threads created specifically for asking about cables, you often see experienced members that don't feel ashamed saying out loud: "Don't waste your money for this nonsense". There are still hardcore subjectivists places where you will certainly have trouble for that, but I really see cables debunkers growing.
I take the more optimistic view of this site’s impact. Upon joining ASR, I was able to parrot the gold standard industry marketing claptrap I had been indoctrinated into on other “audiophile” forums for maybe five posts max. The first couple of responses (not from @amirm) were a bit harsh and intimidating, likely from the most newbie-jaded denizens on here (or perhaps more likely, from the ones most recently deprogrammed and peacocking their new-found enlightenment).

But the vast majority of replies were very polite, well-meaning and encouraging, offering me more sensible guidance and a dignifying, open invitation for me to listen a bit more—and to ultimately reach the very satisfying, logical conclusions from the evidence being offered here that arose from my own reasoning skills and agency. I’ve actually seen a few folks petulantly storm off this site only to paradoxically raise objections to Wattsspeak or McGowanese on the other place. And even if folks don’t fully embrace the principles here, I can’t imagine that they could look at their wallets the same way after spending any amount of time reading Amir’s reviews and the discussions that follow.

The membership on here is comprised of fellow music and audio enthusiasts, no different than the audio Stockholm Syndrome victims, and on every other audio forum or YouTube video I commonly visit of late I’m seeing an increasing number of ASR footprints. Some are subtle and some are over the top, but there’s no denying where these novel positions came from. There are undoubtedly some of these arguments being offered from folks who don’t even visit here, but who have been introduced to critical thinking by one or more ASR members. That phenomenon of propagating ideas via a network of emissaries throughout the web is how dogma is challenged and tides turn.

And even in circumstances where these evidence-based principles are derided or met with hostility, that doesn’t take into account the larger quorum of silent visitors who care about their wallets as much as their gear, and who after hearing some sensible arguments might be curious enough to become more informed consumers, regardless of how viciously measurements are attacked.

I think the uneasy feeling you get when you’ve just dropped a fortune on some glitzy, slick component and you’re desperately trying to hear those dollars through your headphones is universal to everyone, and I can at least speak for myself that this site has radically changed one mind. I think ASR’s impact has been quite extraordinary, especially given how relatively new it is to an industry that has been held hostage by classist Stereophile tastemakers for eons.

Perhaps it’s easy to get cynical about the persistent bilge that spews forth from the other site day after day because the ones who are the most officious or stricken with unconscious buyer’s remorse are making the most noise. But I think there’s a much more reasonable majority of folks out there who prefer listening to music.

wwenze

Major Contributor
The world generally suffers from having "shifting of burden of proof" fallacy. "Proof that you can hear the difference between xxx" *You can't prove that I don't!*

ASR dared to take up the burden of proof. Now the ball is doubly on the other court. And it is bad image to ask for a third ball.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think the uneasy feeling you get when you’ve just dropped a fortune on some glitzy, slick component and you’re desperately trying to hear those dollars through your headphones is universal to everyone, and I can at least speak for myself that this site has radically changed one mind. I think ASR’s impact has been quite extraordinary, especially given how relatively new it is to an industry that has been held hostage by classist Stereophile tastemakers for eons.
Thank you for the well reasoned post. I would add this one thought:

How flimsy was the foundation of so many audiophile beliefs that all it took was just me, part-time with an analyzer, to punch so many holes in them in a just a few years?

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I take the more optimistic view of this site’s impact. Upon joining ASR, I was able to parrot the gold standard industry marketing claptrap I had been indoctrinated into on other “audiophile” forums for maybe five posts max. The first couple of responses (not from @amirm) were a bit harsh and intimidating, likely from the most newbie-jaded denizens on here (or perhaps more likely, from the ones most recently deprogrammed and peacocking their new-found enlightenment).

But the vast majority of replies were very polite, well-meaning and encouraging, offering me more sensible guidance and a dignifying, open invitation for me to listen a bit more—and to ultimately reach the very satisfying, logical conclusions from the evidence being offered here that arose from my own reasoning skills and agency. I’ve actually seen a few folks petulantly storm off this site only to paradoxically raise objections to Wattsspeak or McGowanese on the other place. And even if folks don’t fully embrace the principles here, I can’t imagine that they could look at their wallets the same way after spending any amount of time reading Amir’s reviews and the discussions that follow.

The membership on here is comprised of fellow music and audio enthusiasts, no different than the audio Stockholm Syndrome victims, and on every other audio forum or YouTube video I commonly visit of late I’m seeing an increasing number of ASR footprints. Some are subtle and some are over the top, but there’s no denying where these novel positions came from. There are undoubtedly some of these arguments being offered from folks who don’t even visit here, but who have been introduced to critical thinking by one or more ASR members. That phenomenon of propagating ideas via a network of emissaries throughout the web is how dogma is challenged and tides turn.

And even in circumstances where these evidence-based principles are derided or met with hostility, that doesn’t take into account the larger quorum of silent visitors who care about their wallets as much as their gear, and who after hearing some sensible arguments might be curious enough to become more informed consumers, regardless of how viciously measurements are attacked.

Perhaps it’s easy to get cynical about the persistent bilge that spews forth from the other site day after day because the ones who are the most officious or stricken with unconscious buyer’s remorse are making the most noise. But I think there’s a much more reasonable majority of folks out there who prefer listening to music.
Wonderfully written!

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

How flimsy was the foundation of so many audiophile beliefs that all it took was just me, part-time with an analyzer, to punch so many holes in them in a just a few years?
We have a lot to thank you for but why didn't Peter Aczel and David Rich gain more traction in the 90s?

Edit: for anyone who doesn't know, see <https://www.biline.ca/audio_critic/audio_critic.htm>

Last edited:

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Because there's no defense for the "wanna believe" human trait.

Many moons ago, my local audio store had some very expensive cables on display. I was skeptical asked the salesman how much difference they could make. He said "Take them home and try it." I did and to my ears, it sounded a step change better than my generic Monster cables.

I didn't buy them, but I was convinced. I didn't do a blind or double blind comparison.....just an A/B with a 10 minute gap while I changed out the cables. Now, I'm pretty sure I was fooled.

Last edited:

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Maybe, but I think you’re perhaps being modest or selling yourself short. This site has caused a tsunami of passionate discourse across all audiophile forums, and has achieved major name recognition and influence throughout the principle players in the industry as well. Perhaps given your career trajectory you’ve grown accustomed to having such collegial access to major players in the industry, but for me having interactive discussions with designers like John Yang and Dan Clark and seeing their respect for this site is a big deal—it’s given me a sense that my own voice is being heard, and has helped solidify my confidence in the brands in which I invest as well.

I think the digital audio era got off on the wrong foot from the start, with manufacturers seizing the lucrative opportunity to misappropriate analog principles and terminology to describe audio formats that have no sound. Your original ideas and efforts came along at just the right time, and now this site has engaged a formidable membership that has gone viral with exposing this long game con. The contrast between reviews on here and the paid advertising long available at Stereophile or The Master’s Switch is stark. And I think any hostility this site has attracted is not an indictment of its existence, but rather a measure of how many folks out have been hoodwinked.

Prior to this site, I think measurements were performed on other forums occasionally, but I don’t think they were anywhere near as emphasized—perhaps strategically, given the profits to be made by perpetuating the myth that terms like soundstage and warmth have any relevance to a string of ones and zeros. I think ASR has exposed that ruse considerably, and my own experience is evidence of this—I’m fairly confident that it would never have occurred to me to consider what was going on under the hood of my audio purchases to such an extent, nor would I have approached price points with skepticism instead of aspiration, if I hadn’t found this resource.

At the risk of embarrassing you, I think you’ve designed this forum to be impenetrable to ethical conflicts of interest, and exceedingly comprehensive and balanced in content. And the resultant group conscience here, recruited solely by the law of attraction, has increasingly put the industry on their toes. The charlatans know their machinations have been irrevocably exposed, and their defenses are becoming increasingly desperate—and consequently, more and more folks have heard the skeptical view and have saved a whole lot of money as a result, myself included.

That’s why I feel a sense of optimism, even while being deluged with unscientific nonsense elsewhere—because on every site I visit I find fellow ASR members representing the common sense position, and I think they’re changing minds, one consumer at a time.

Last edited:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Maybe, but I think you’re perhaps being modest or selling yourself short. This site has caused a tsunami of passionate discourse across all audiophile forums, and has achieved major name recognition and influence throughout the principle players in the industry as well. Perhaps given your career trajectory you’ve grown accustomed to having such collegial access to major players in the industry, but for me having interactive discussions with designers like John Yang and Dan Clark and seeing their respect for this site is a big deal—it’s given me a sense that my own voice is being heard, and has helped solidify my confidence in the brands in which I invest as well.

I think the digital audio era got off on the wrong foot from the start, with manufacturers seizing the lucrative opportunity to misappropriate analog principles and terminology to describe audio formats that have no sound. Your original ideas and efforts came along at just the right time, and now this site has engaged a formidable membership that has gone viral with exposing this long game con. The contrast between reviews on here and the paid advertising long available at Stereophile or The Master’s Switch is stark.

Prior to this site, I think measurements were performed on other forums occasionally, but I don’t think they were anywhere near as emphasized—perhaps strategically, given the profits to be made by perpetuating the myth that terms like soundstage and warmth have any relevance to a string of ones and zeros. I think ASR has exposed that ruse considerably, and my own experience is evidence of this—I’m fairly confident that it would never have occurred to me to consider what was going on under the hood of my audio purchases to such an extent, nor would I have approached price points with skepticism instead of aspiration, if I hadn’t found this resource.

At the risk of embarrassing you, I think you’ve designed this forum to be impenetrable to ethical conflicts of interest, and exceedingly comprehensive and balanced in content. And the resultant group conscience here, recruited solely by the law of attraction, has increasingly put the industry on their toes. The charlatans know their machinations have been irrevocably exposed, and their defenses are becoming increasingly desperate—and consequently, more and more folks have heard the skeptical view and have saved a whole lot of money as a result, myself included.

That’s why I feel a sense of optimism, even while being deluged with unscientific nonsense elsewhere—because on every site I visit I find fellow ASR members representing the common sense position, and I think they’re changing minds, one person at a time.
Again, well said. What I've found especially strange (to be kind) is the way the few who still do measure, such as John Atkinson at Stereophile, manage to be schizophrenic about the disparity between poor objective performance and glowing subjective reviews in his own magazine. Can it really be just about advertising revenue?

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Again, well said. What I've found especially strange (to be kind) is the way the few who still do measure, such as John Atkinson at Stereophile, manage to be schizophrenic about the disparity between poor objective performance and glowing subjective reviews in his own magazine. Can it really be just about advertising revenue?
Either that or they prefer posturing their own exceptionally refined listening skills over that pesky, objective evidence?

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes indeed, and we can never know for sure, short of any confession.
Indeed, I’m not holding my breath. But I’m pretty convinced that any hostility this site has engendered is not an indictment of its methods as much as a measure of the sheer number of folks out there who’ve been hoodwinked. Reviewers included.

It must be quite unpleasant to reflect on your life’s work as a professional reviewer, and lie awake at night contemplating that maybe your reputation wasn’t as honestly earned as you thought it was—that instead of guiding folks with your own insights, it’s possible that you’ve been unwittingly whoring yourself out there as a patsy for corporate marketing subterfuge instead. Ouch!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
maybe your reputation wasn’t as honestly earned as you thought it was—that instead of guiding folks with your own insights, it’s possible that you’ve been unwittingly whoring yourself out there as a patsy for corporate marketing subterfuge instead. Ouch!
On the other hand, they might be crying all the way to the bank.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
… still too much of an optimist, I’m afraid :facepalm:;)
I’ll revert to pessimism until I unload these preposterously overpriced 2020 Utopias and a goddamn iFi Audio Powerstation bundle kit I got seduced by before I was deprogrammed, your point well-taken!

Last edited:

DonR

Major Contributor
Personally, when it comes to cables, I am a glass-is-half-full kind of guy. The problem is that it is half full of foul and poisonous snake oil.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
It must be quite unpleasant to reflect on your life’s work as a professional reviewer, and lie awake at night contemplating that maybe your reputation wasn’t as honestly earned as you thought it was—that instead of guiding folks with your own insights, it’s possible that you’ve been unwittingly whoring yourself out there as a patsy for corporate marketing subterfuge instead. Ouch!
That sums it up quite nicely. Whores, all of them! Better than being a witch I guess..........

egellings

Major Contributor

In spite or your hole punching, many believers will still believe. However, if you can save just one soul, then it's worth it.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Hold on to your hats folks! Danny has now cranked up his cryo freezer chamber:
cryo-cryostasis.gif

The result, according to Danny, is of course much better cables.:oops:o_O:facepalm:

Plus he demagnetizes them. Watch from 2:00 into the video:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If they're braided too, they must be the best sounding power cords ever.

Top Bottom