• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Benchmark AHB2 Review (Updated Measurements)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 47 15.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 247 80.7%

• Total voters

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because they insist on thinking they need way less power than they actually do.

There’s someone in another thread dribbling on about 50mW levels best SINAD. I had to laugh. A 1970s 2xAA pocket transistor radio would put out 3-4 times that.

I’ve run out of power with 1kW per channel and it’s easy with a genuine 200-300wpc to clip amplifiers on dynamic music.

I really do think it's good to know how something performs at 50 mW since that's what you might be listening to nearfield or what you might be listening to in terms of dialogue in a movie. Focusing only on 2V and 4V SINAD or 5W SINAD loses the fact that you do need high performance at lower volumes just as much as you need them at higher levels.

I have moved toward Meyer Sound PA speakers though. So I get what you mean about making sure you have enough power on hand.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I really do think it's good to know how something performs at 50 mW since that's what you might be listening to nearfield or what you might be listening to in terms of dialogue in a movie. Focusing only on 2V and 4V SINAD or 5W SINAD loses the fact that you do need high performance at lower volumes just as much as you need them at higher levels.

Absolutely, but you are mostly just looking at noise, not distortion, unless the amplifier is particularly poorly designed.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
What is the reason it doesn't have RCA?
It targets professional applications that normally use balanced (differential) inputs for better performance (lower noise, lower distortion, higher noise rejection). Adapters for consumers are readily available at low cost.

tim5

Στοχεύει σε επαγγελματικές εφαρμογές που συνήθως χρησιμοποιούν ισορροπημένες (διαφορικές) εισόδους για καλύτερη απόδοση (χαμηλότερος θόρυβος, μικρότερη παραμόρφωση, υψηλότερη απόρριψη θορύβου). Οι προσαρμογείς για τους καταναλωτές είναι άμεσα διαθέσιμοι με χαμηλό κόστος.
Τhanks!....I suppose ,a pre amp with TRS out can connect whith these amp.....

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Τhanks!....I suppose ,a pre amp with TRS out can connect whith these amp.....
Yes, a TRS plug is another physical connector for balanced outputs, and takes up less space. You can buy TRS to XLR cables.

tim5

Yes, a TRS plug is another physical connector for balanced outputs, and takes up less space. You can buy TRS to XLR cables.
My pre dac have trs out.Is the SMSL C200.Maybe work well .....

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the reason it doesn't have RCA?
Without speaking to the marketing strategy of Benchmark, I can't feature spending the premium to obtain this excellent amplifier and then feed it using preamplification that's limited to RCAs.

Platypus20

Forum Donor
Without speaking to the marketing strategy of Benchmark, I can't feature spending the premium to obtain this excellent amplifier and then feed it using preamplification that's limited to RCAs.
When I bought my AHB2s, they asked what preamp I was using, they have the the RCA/XLR adapter cables, for preamps that don’t have XLR outs

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you use an unbalanced source (RCA) feeding a proper differential balanced input (XLR) you still get most of the benefits of balanced/differential. Not so feeding an unbalanced (RCA) input.

Nicoff

Back in 2019, I reviewed the Benchmark AHB2 Stereo Amplifier. I received a second sample from a kind member to update the measurements. Originally the AHB2 cost $3000 but now, $3,500.

Conclusions
Using standard binding posts reduces performance just a bit but certainly nothing to worry about. What we have is still state of the art and one of best ever consumer stereo amplifiers produced.

-------
Based on your recommendation I purchased two amps for bridge mono configuration. This is indeed a fantastic amp regardless of price. These 13 pounds amps will be replacing my 90 pound mono-blocks. Thank you!

Nicolas

Forum Donor
Based on your recommendation I purchased two amps for bridge mono configuration. This is indeed a fantastic amp regardless of price. These 13 pounds amps will be replacing my 90 pound mono-blocks. Thank you!
Hi and welcome,
Just of curiosity, what speakers do you use with the ahb2s ?

hwest

Manual warns against going that low and didn't want to chance damaging it.
So these Benchmark Amps are actually good from what I see. I know many say they are so transparent with no coloration at all which some don't prefer but I have never listened to one so I don't know what I don't know about coloration. If it doesn't favor any particular characteristic I wonder how likely the sound is by ear, interesting to know what you think of the actual sound coming out of this unit and if it's good or seems let's say different to the point where it makes it harder to appreciate.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Sound comes out of the loudspeaker not the amp.
Keith

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the welcome!
I have MBL 101E MK II
One of the few speakers really demanding of the AHB2’s power in monoblock mode!

kenshone

I’m getting constant popping from my AHB2 out of nowhere. It was working fine one day connecting via XLR to the source and bananas to my towers. The next day, nothing but popping, even if the source is turned to 0…

Top Bottom