• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Benchmark AHB2 Review (Updated Measurements)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 47 15.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 245 80.6%

• Total voters

tesseractASR

...at some point you are doing the same thing people who buy $3000 cables are doing. Just justifying it with graphs instead of golden ears.
Can we have a middle ground of common sense with metric like clean watt per $ or something.
Wat? Cable people justify using *cough* graphs?!? No.

The beauty of this amp is not just the "graphs" cable people do not use. It's stellar performance, combined w/stellar build-quality, that ensures consistent performance through years of production runs and years of usage.

Your comparison is apples to pizza.

Chester

So I looked at ordering the Benchmark SpeakOn speaker cables but they’re mighty expensive here in the UK (£200 for a pair of 6ft cables).

I then looked at buying direct from Benchmark in the US. While they were obviously cheaper, they wanted $90 to ship them, I guess primarily to not undercut their UK distributer.

So I have ordered a couple of Neutrik SpeakOn connectors and will screw them on to one end of my existing cables.

I’m not expecting to hear any difference, just tinkering for the sake of tinkering really.

It’s standard but decent enough 11 AWG cable, with screw-in locking bananas at one end and will be screw in SpeakOns at the other. Should I expect my DIY effort to have the same measurable impact?

Nicolas

Forum Donor
So I looked at ordering the Benchmark SpeakOn speaker cables but they’re mighty expensive here in the UK (£200 for a pair of 6ft cables).

I then looked at buying direct from Benchmark in the US. While they were obviously cheaper, they wanted $90 to ship them, I guess primarily to not undercut their UK distributer.

So I have ordered a couple of Neutrik SpeakOn connectors and will screw them on to one end of my existing cables.

I’m not expecting to hear any difference, just tinkering for the sake of tinkering really.

It’s standard but decent enough 11 AWG cable, with screw-in locking bananas at one end and will be screw in SpeakOns at the other. Should I expect my DIY effort to have the same measurable impact?
I did the same, not expecting any measurable or audible difference; I just like the locking, reliable connection that the speakONs provide.

Chester

Neutrik SpeakOns just arrived. Anyone ever seen them in brown before? I’ve only ever seen them in blue. The company looked legit and have been trading a long time so I’m sure they are fine, just not what I was expecting.

14A082C7-1FDC-4CAC-9A41-22CF98436EC7.jpeg

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Nicolas

Forum Donor
Neutrik SpeakOns just arrived. Anyone ever seen them in brown before? I’ve only ever seen them in blue. The company looked legit and have been trading a long time so I’m sure they are fine, just not what I was expecting.

View attachment 340923

Yes, I believe these are 2 poles connectors.
Depending on your intended use these may or may not be suitable.
From the AHB2 manual :

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 13.13.17.png

Nicolas

Forum Donor
Just standard speaker wire, 2 cores.
As far as I can tell your 2-pole plugs are compatible with the 4-pole jacks of the amplifier, and unless you are in the situation described in the last paragraph you should be fine.
The 1&2 OUT NL4 jack can also be used for biamp applications. Use this jack with a four-pole
cable to connect both output channels to the high and low drivers in a biamped 2-way
speaker.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The back shows how to wire your connection.
1& 2 out you just wire for 1 channel
1+ 1- channel 1
2 out
2+ 2- channel 2

1704889759957.png

denydog

I just installed a pair of those on some Bluejeans 10 ga cables without issues. I think they've replaced the blue ones. I like that they use torx screws.

Nicolas

Forum Donor
I just installed a pair of those on some Bluejeans 10 ga cables without issues. I think they've replaced the blue ones. I like that they use torx screws.
This is one series of connectors (FXX) among several others in the Neutrik range: the blue ones still exist in other series.

Platypus20

Forum Donor
The NL2s I just got from Benchmark were blue, the NL4s were black, the cable hole in the black one is larger

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Let's not go there. . .there was a heated exchange on the looks of the Soncoz.
Looks aside, haven’t we already had reports of failures and subpar service from Soncoz? That alone is enough for me to stay away.

Last edited:

glideslope

One difference I noticed on those new ones is the contacts are silver plated copper rather than silver plated brass on the older NL4FC. The copper likely has higher conductivity and may be better.

SAV1972

I have ahb2. Very good amplifier.
I'm a little worried about the slight click in the acoustics when I turn off the amplifier.

Top Bottom