• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kenwood L-05M Vintage Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 28 13.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 124 61.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 43 21.4%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Kenwood L-05M circa 1978-1981 monoblock amplifier. It is on kind loan from a member.
Kenwood L-05M Monoblock Amplifier vintage review.jpg

The L-05M has a timeless design and looks like a modern amplifier you could buy today. It weighs just enough to make you feel like it is substantial but not too heavy. Back panel looks nice too although the member has updated the binding posts:
Kenwood L-05M Monoblock Amplifier vintage back panel review.jpg

Here is the description of the unit:

"These were partially restored (but not modified from the original design). All capacitors (except for large filters) were replaced along with all the trimmers, relays, binding posts, and some critical resistors (the ceramics were left in place). When I bought them, some of the original high transition frequency/bandwidth outputs were blown and someone had put "conventional" outputs in there. Whoever had worked on them did not used equivalent replacement parts. They had also put inferior driver transistors in there. I had the the incorrect outputs replaced with modern Sankens in a T03P package with almost identical specifications as the original TO3 package outputs. I wanted to maintain the original performance specs and the only way was with TO3Ps since the TO3s with those specs are no longer available. I also had the driver transistors replaced with appropriate NOS driver transistors with the original specs to not bottleneck the original design. The only major thing I didn't have replaced were the large filter caps, I'm still debating replacing them since the old ones will probably limit the performance results in your tests (especially SINAD)."

Let's see how it measures.

Kenwood L-05M Amplifier Measurements
As usual we start with our dashboard of 5 watts into 4 ohm:

Kenwood L-05M Monoblock Amplifier Measurement.png

Despite high amount of power supply hum and noise, SINAD is above average for all amps tested:
best vintage amplifier review.png

SNR despite power supply noise was quite good:
Kenwood L-05M Monoblock Amplifier SNR Measurement.png

Many amps struggle to get to 96 dB at just 5 watts (CD's dynamic range).

Multitone is disturbed by the power supply noise but still turns in good numbers:
Kenwood L-05M Monoblock Amplifier Multitone Measurement.png

Frequency response shows flat in audible band and very wide overall:

Kenwood L-05M Monoblock Amplifier Frequency Response Measurement.png

Power output is quite good:
Kenwood L-05M Monoblock Amplifier Power into 4 ohm Measurement.png

But the shape is odd. I think distortion is increasing with power as we already know noise doesn't. Same happens at 8 ohm:

Kenwood L-05M Monoblock Amplifier Power into 8 ohm Measurement.png

Company spec is 100 watts at 8 ohm and we are already better than that.

Going back to 4 ohm, we see good bit of reserves:
Kenwood L-05M Monoblock Amplifier max and peak Power into 4 ohm Measurement.png

The amp is very well behaved as far as change in output level regardless of frequency:
Kenwood L-05M Monoblock Amplifier Power into 4 ohm vs frequerncy Measurement.png

Subjecting it to different reactive loads doesn't make it unhappy:
Kenwood L-05M Monoblock Amplifier Loadbox Measurement.png

While voltage drops (so can't "double down"), response is phase independent.

Finally, it is stable on power up:
Kenwood L-05M Monoblock Amplifier Warm up Measurement.png

Conclusions
The L-05M turns in respectable numbers that is better than over 100 amplifiers tested to date! It is elegant looking, compact and powerful. Assuming you can pick one up at a good price and get it refurbished, it is a very good option for a modern system. I see a pair on sale on ebay for $695 but seems to have cosmetic issues.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No figurine!? How should we know the scale of this device now! For all I know it could be a 4m x 4m x 6m amp!

:eek:

pma

Major Contributor
Yeah, that’s it. 40+ years old amplifiers that has no problems with complex load impedance and has very good parameters that may be audible. The designers new what they were doing.
Also nice to see decay of harmonics in the spectrum. Not the now usual crossover distortion dominated.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The L-05m/L-07m are a generation before the L-06m/L/08m.

The L-08M measures far better, but to be fair, my L-08M was given to Peter at QuirkAudio and told to go to town with upgrading the power supply and all of the capacitors, etc.

I recently picked up a Topping D90, so I can retest the L-08M.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh as a fun fact, the 12V triggers aren’t actually 12V triggers. They have their own power supply! You just need to close or open the circuit to activate it. You can use a 12V trigger that powers a relay that then powers the amps on if you want to use it in a 12v environment.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

pma

Major Contributor
@amirm, how much worse is the measurement of you don’t ground the unit with the ground wire?
Not the ground issue, most probably.
He might hook the amp to the speaker and find out if the hum is audible. From the level shown in the plot the hum/buzz might be barely audible with ear on the speaker.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow. Not SOTA but pretty darn awesome, and to me proves we audio people often obsess about the marginal rather that the essential. Gains exist. But as this proves they have been not very easy to get by for many years, and furthermore can be had at a fraction at the cost that once was needed. I do remember being a student looking at higher end Kenwood stuff, knowing it had been very favorably reviewed in a German audio mag, but just couldn't spend the $ (my motorcycle needed a repair).
At the time, Pioneer, Kenwood, Nakamichi, TEAC and Sony built the best cassette players ever made. :) Oh I remember Revox as another lust object. Maybe others.

martijn86

I remember when I was a child (I'm from 1986), my parents where very proud of their Kenwood system. I can tell why. Seeing this beautiful Kenwood gear gave me some great memories. Thanks @amirm.

Even though it was modified and then restored, I want to believe that is was always this good in the early 80's.

Waxx

Major Contributor
For that era and age, that is a very good amplifier. And it' still quiet decent to modern ASR standards, which is remarkable.

I wish you could also test some ofthers of that era, as many see the late 1970's as the golden era of hifi (which is of course a subjective hyped view). But i don't own those devices and would anyway live to far to ship them to you.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wonder if not some of the 60Hz would go away if the owner refurbed the power supply ?

Agree regarding not rating , even if carefully restored they might not be exactly the same as they where :) could be worse could be better who knows ?

Top Bottom