• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 95 20.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 357 76.0%

• Total voters

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There’s no reason not to include it
Preamps are (more often than not) pure analogue devices. Certainly all the shiit ones are.

Today bass management is typically and more effectively done with DSP digitally, either in the DAC, or in a digital to digital device upstream of the DAC.

It makes more sense to ask "why not put a proper preamp with variable gain, and analogue volume control into a DSP Dac?"

MCH

Major Contributor
I am one of those who always rants and asks for high pass filters and sub output and master Vol control and all that - integrated in cheap amps -

But a separate preamp, balanced, with bass management under 1000$ as mentioned here, well, this is minidsp flex territory, very hard to beat IMO.

jvdburgt

I see they provided specs on the SP601 speakers. On paper they look quite good, anyone has an idea how they perform against well known speaker brands (like Monitor Audio)?

Last edited:

Fosi Audio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I had never used kickstart, today I created an account to support this project.
Normally I don't like to put money forward but I want to help Fosi as a company and its policy of listening to users and collaborating.

Just a question. When creating the account I was not asked anything about the delivery address, how does it work?
No worry. We'll send you a survey to collect your delivery address when the campaign ends.:)

This is precisely the point of these. One per channel.

-Ed
I meant to say one amp to the Left terminal, a 2nd amp to the Right terminal of speaker A. Then use another 2 amps for speaker B. I'm new to this, would this be helpful to bring more power? This would be for speakers with one binding post, but I guess with dual binding post could you add 4 amps to ONE speaker to help bring more power?

EddNog

I meant to say one amp to the Left terminal, a 2nd amp to the Right terminal of speaker A. Then use another 2 amps for speaker B. I'm new to this, would this be helpful to bring more power? This would be for speakers with one binding post, but I guess with dual binding post could you add 4 amps to ONE speaker to help bring more power?
I don’t think that would work to run a separate amp per terminal. On a bi-ampable/bi-wireable speaker, yes, you could run two. But I don’t imagine there are a lot of speakers out there that would even need that level of power. Do you have a specific set of speakers in mind?

-Ed

SMen

Regarding a fosi pre-amp for these I'd like to see a balance pre with relays. A passive / active operation selector option, and dual volume controls to max out on the separation (in keeping with the monos). Dual volume gives channel balance and can be pretty useful in certain rooms and scenarios, and indeed old recordings.

But give a readout for each channel, for perfect center balance.

I appreciate I might be a bit of an 'outlier' on this last dual volume option, but been using this for years. You'd be surprised how often a balance tweak can help, and a good reason to combine with monoblocks.

I don’t think that would work to run a separate amp per terminal. On a bi-ampable/bi-wireable speaker, yes, you could run two. But I don’t imagine there are a lot of speakers out there that would even need that level of power. Do you have a specific set of speakers in mind?

-Ed
"I don't think that would work." meaning it could break something? I did try it, I ran avr preouts rca from the left amp 1; and the right to amp 2. Then from amp 1 speaker wire that is premade as a biwire so it has 4 outputs and I connected it to a speaker that has bookshelf and atmos module so basically 2 speakers. I did that for the two left speakers and amp 2 for the two right speakers. The fosi handles the strain of two speakers fine for me. I crank those suckers up and with the atmos playing stereo it really fills the room for me.

EddNog

"I don't think that would work." meaning it could break something? I did try it, I ran avr preouts rca from the left amp 1; and the right to amp 2. Then from amp 1 speaker wire that is premade as a biwire so it has 4 outputs and I connected it to a speaker that has bookshelf and atmos module so basically 2 speakers. I did that for the two left speakers and amp 2 for the two right speakers. The fosi handles the strain of two speakers fine for me. I crank those suckers up and with the atmos playing stereo it really fills the room for me.
Well that answers that, then.

-Ed

Roger285

There's already 1 of those coming out like every other week.

Just like with the monoblocs, I'm hoping for something different, something that usually costs too much because it is a niche product. But when you can make them perform great at a very affordable price, it becomes a hit.

Monoblocs are nothing new, but with the V3 mono, everyone can afford it, and many want it. It would be awesome if they could do the same with a balanced pre amp. Not another dac that can also do a bit of pre amping.

2 balanced ins, 2 or 3 SE ins, nice buttons and volume control.

Currently many use their dac as a pre-amp, because it's not worth spending 800, 1100 for a dedicated pre. But a good dedicated pre makes controlling your audio so much nicer.
You might be interested in one of these. The Big Knob is completely passive, has 2 balanced inputs and 2 balanced out (or one balanced and one unbalanced) and is built like a tank. I've used them in my studio for years.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's not quite what you described in your previous post - where it sounded like you were connecting one amp to the lh terminals of a speaker, and a second amp to the rh terminals of the same speaker.

What you are doing here is connecting two speakers in parallel (main and atmos) into one amp. That will work at low levels, but with two speakers connected in paralell, you'll be halving the impedance. So 2x8ohm speakers will combine to be 4ohm - this will be fine. But 2x4ohm speakers will combine to be 2ohm, and the amp will struggle with this at higher volume settings.

Sputnik

You might be interested in one of these. The Big Knob is completely passive, has 2 balanced inputs and 2 balanced out (or one balanced and one unbalanced) and is built like a tank. I've used them in my studio for years.

Thanks, the Big Knob is nice for a desk, not so much for a (or my) living room. But it does show that it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg.

gwing

Forum Donor
Thanks, the Big Knob is nice for a desk, not so much for a (or my) living room. But it does show that it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg.
Also, just two inputs doesn't cut it (for me).

EddNog

Also, just two inputs doesn't cut it (for me).
There a lot of these devices on the market; the problem they have is a lack of remote control.

-Ed

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I like a balance control rather than separate volume pots for each channel, but can live with either. I do hope that both the Chinese manufacturers and Schiit both continue to make solid state preamps for those of us who use RCA inputs and have no pressing need for balanced ones...

Lednek

I am one of those who always rants and asks for high pass filters and sub output and master Vol control and all that - integrated in cheap amps -

But a separate preamp, balanced, with bass management under 1000$ as mentioned here, well, this is minidsp flex territory, very hard to beat IMO.
I guess I was hung up on the idea that I already have a good DAC and need to use it.
The MiniDSP Flex would be an all in one solution, even if the DAC section measures slightly lower than What I have, it us likely to be better than running the signal from my DAC through an additional processor. Is that the Gist of it?

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning

DavidM1

Nice review. Although some talk about how cool it would be to have meters or a preamp with phono inputs for an integrated amp that doesn’t appeal to me.

A simple power amp that pairs well with balanced outs from a good dac or dac/ streamer pretty much nails it for me. The auto on/ off is a bonus and the power bricks are a slight drag. However, matching excellent test results with a good price is the most important thing and Fosi seems to have hit the target.

fredreadrick

Good day!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240429_053521.jpg
    Screenshot_20240429_053521.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 144
Top Bottom