• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Kit Speaker Review (video)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A recording of a better speaker could perhaps be helpful in this case, as an example of how it should sound (and to verify that it isn't caused by the recording equipment).
I wanted to do this but recording a 2-way speaker this way is much harder. In near-filed you wouldn't know where to point the microphone. If you pull it far back, then you get room reflections. As it turns out, the wideband driver here was quite helpful in making the recording.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I found this list somewhere. (edit, and another that I've added to as I see reviews.
Super! Didn't know I has posted the female one as well. Thanks a bunch.

Toni Mas

Bottom line... As Ted Jordan, the father of full range, demonstrated with his pitifull JX6, you cannot expect full range response from a 30cm2 driver... Physically imposible at any price point... Total waste of time and money, as I wasted myself...

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The distortion is evident; I do not really understand how it is possible to avoid hearing the warbling voice.

PeteL

Major Contributor
They don't have to be equal at your eardrum, they have to be equal at your "outer ear" - just like how an environmental sound would be in the real world when you're living your everyday life on the streets & in your offices, etc.......ie each of your ears will not necessarily amplify to the same degree by the time it gets to your eardrum (due to anatomical imperfections that you're already acclimatised to), so a natural balance for a headphone would indeed be a measured balance on a perfectly symmetrical rig like miniDSP EARS or GRAS or whatever.

(You also can't guarantee that lead vocals & kick will be dead central on all tracks)

You have to rely on measurements to best balance left & right for speakers & also for headphones.
Maybe they don't have to be equal at your eardrums but if I want the two channels to be balanced at mine? If the measurments says it's fine and the balanced is shifted one side when I listen I should just accept it even if it diminish my enjoyment? You see something wrong with the example I gave you? The image is greatly improved for me with a large tip on the right and medium on the left. This have been found out by listening. should I just say, well, miniDSP ears tells me it's correct so I am going to listen to this Kickdrum and lead vox shifted stage left?
IEMs has no relation to outer hear, distance, how you would hear in "real life"... It is all about you ear canal.

Last edited:

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The fact is there are plenty of very good small two-way speakers out there for $300 to $600 a pair that are well engineered, well made and can blow away this single speaker effort. Some are even powered. There have never been so many high-quality speakers in the low price category. One is lazy or a dope not to do a little homework and land a pair of speakers that sound wonderful.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Bottom line... As Ted Jordan, the father of full range, demonstrated with his pitifull JX6, you cannot expect full range response from a 30cm2 driver... Physically imposible at any price point... Total waste of time and money, as I wasted myself...
[emphasis added]

I have a funny feeling that Paul G. A. H. Voigt (and/or O. P. Lowther) is acquiring angular momentum in his crypt...

lowther%2Btop.JPG

PeteL

Major Contributor
The fact is there are plenty of very good small two-way speakers out there for $300 to $600 a pair that are well engineered, well made and can blow away this single speaker effort. Some are even powered. There have never been so many high-quality speakers in the low price category. One is lazy or a dope not to do a little homework and land a pair of speakers that sound wonderful.
Î’d say at 300-600 you can get very good speakers, I doubt you’d get « Speakers that sound wonderful ». Maybe I haven’t find or happened to hear them yet. Which ones?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Î’d say at 300-600 you can get very good speakers, I doubt you’d get « Speakers that sound wonderful ». Maybe I haven’t find or happened to hear them yet. Which ones?

PeteL

Major Contributor
I’ve heard all of those, they’re good for the price.

YSC

Major Contributor
It's true that they sound different, as I did that quick comparison too, but you have to understand is that the Youtube "master recording" is unadulterated whereas with Amir's recording you are listening to a recording of a speaker so you're listening to his room at the extremely narrow listening point of his microphone position - so it's not apples to apples......this is why I am fundamentally against "recording the sound of speakers" for playback by others. So the difference you hear is not necessarily the distortion aspect between the two recordings. ASR, please no more recordings of how a speaker sounds, ha!

(you certainly deserve a like for your honesty re your ability to hear distortion or not in that in my opinion)
I am not a fan of youtube recording of how a speaker sounds, but this is kind of different as it's not saying "hey, it's what you get if you buy the test speaker", rather in the whole review it showed all the measurements and the distortion measured are horrid. then the clip is kind of an extra, not for the whole song but on what one would expect fro distortion (i.e. the warble, sour throat sound), IMO the FR captured on a mic for a listening demo at the specific space in the room is meaningless, but specific distortion sound is ok to be recorded and listened to, as distortion is not only changing the FR amplitude, but adding a lot of side notes etc and that should not be a problem for listening from a recorded clip. IRL it might sound different but the way it distorts should be similar or the same

YSC

Major Contributor
I’m not usually one to fan flames, but here are some of his comments in his update video (assuming it‘s him, the account has someone that looks like him doing races, both running track and cars).
View attachment 213697View attachment 213698View attachment 213700
speaking of overdriving the speakers... yes the distortion is overdriven for most cause, but hey, it's his own advertisments claiming able to play perfectly at 4db, so at 86db plot not only the bass, the low mids <500hz shouldn't get the 10% distortion I think?

Andysu

Major Contributor
$1038.00 for finished speakers is absurd!:facepalm:
all my JBL 4673A used decent condition not that i can see them behind screen . point . they cost less than this tiny speaker . if i wanted them sound small easy , i'll adjust the crossover on low end to 200Hz -24dB and they sound small . well not really the HF horn still puts a decent loud output and weighs more than few of these tiny speakers . keep watching the ebay and bargains show up cheap .

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The reference point was the start of the clip where the levels were low enough for the distortion to be obvious. By the time it was clearly audible, I provided a signal with my gesture. I also played it again a second time with no signaling from me.

I did a ton of testing and comparisons to make sure what I was hearing live, is what got conveyed in video. The only tricky part was to have the volume set high enough on your headphone to hear the clean part at the start.

Ultimately if you are having a hard time hearing the distortion, then that is fine. It makes the point that we better not generalize about audibility of distortion to everyone. Our detection ability varies widely on this front (although this speaker's distortion presents a very easy test case).
Sorry, I still don't agree with that test.

And it seems I can recognise distortion fine under A/B, so I'm not "useless":

EDIT: and besides, if you look back at my first posts on this topic I thought I did notice distortion at the end of your track, just I didn't think it was clearly obvious - mainly my posts have been me disagreeing with the validity of the test for reasons I listed in earlier posts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom