• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Towelgate: AV123 GR Research X-Voce Speaker Review (Video)

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It is a fine line to walk before we get accused of censoring, being in the pocket of companies, etc. We also don't remotely read even 10% of the posts on the forum.
I think we are miles from anything vaguely resembling censorship etc.
And we still would be even if we were a bit more polite.
Absolutely call out poor measurements and nonsense claims, but my feeling is that we get that message across far more effectively if we don’t resort to name calling (mockery is encouraged though, and so much more satisfying :) )

D!sco

I feel the inexplicable need to see raw woofer measurements without a crossover or enclosure. I can't even believe these are the same as the mids. There's a 3dB hump at 100 on GR's internal measurements, but to accentuate that on purpose instead of targeting a lower box response and having smoother bass is insane. Why aren't these ported for 80hz? What is going on in that crossover?

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Its all true so I don't worry. Do you really think Danny would take this to court and risk the truth coming out?
Danny has to prove defamation. Which would require him to hire technical experts, under oath to counter those who accuse his products and services are fraudulent and employs no science or employs pseudo-science are indeed not correct; and that Danny's products and services are indeed scientifically sound.

Let's let that sink in for a bit. . . . .can I LMAO now?

Who do you think Danny can hire to be the technical expert to put their professional reputation and expertise on the line certifying that his products and services are scientifically sound? Maybe his friend Ron from New Record Day? Or his friend Jay from Jay's Iyagi? Can I LMAO some more now?

Sure he can just hire a lawyer and sue me for the sake of putting financial stress on me, but I am sure I can raise some money from the scientifically minded audio community to counter sue (or I can just use my legal insurance benefit).

Then you have the problem with the court seeing this as a frivolous law suit wasting tax payer's money, the judge will come down pretty hard on that. BTW, Ted Denney tried that on Gene from Audioholics, the court most likely threw that case out.

I want to call Danny the names I did one more time just as my closing LMAO, but I have stated that I need to do better as a member on ASR and I have to respect our host since he is always professional. Having said that, I will leave this topic with my final thoughts: Danny Ritchie of GR Research based in Texas, has time and time prove that he does not employ real science to virtually any of his products nor services. Danny Ritchie has also proven that his technical skills and knowledge is rather limited yet it appears that he portrays himself as if he is some sort of technical authority. Furthermore, it's shocking (and sickening) to me how many people Danny Ritchie has convinced of such.

Last edited:

mjgraves

This is the natural consequence of the internet era. Guys like Danny can have a platform to hock their ___________. In a prior era it would not be so easy for him to find an audience for his spiels. OTOH, the high-end cable debate goes back a long while.

To prove defamation he would have to have doumented evidence that what has been said has substantively impacted his business. Setting aside the cost of lawyers and experts, that's just not true. At least, not yet.

mjgraves

I think we are miles from anything vaguely resembling censorship etc.
And we still would be even if we were a bit more polite.
Absolutely call out poor measurements and nonsense claims, but my feeling is that we get that message across far more effectively if we don’t resort to name calling (mockery is encouraged though, and so much more satisfying :) )
There is no issue at all with censorship. This is a private platform. No first amendment protections.

The potential issue would be defamation, which is tough (and costly) to prove.

Last edited:

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To prove defamation he would have to have doumented evidence that what has been said has substantively impacted his business. Setting aside the cost of lawyers and experts, that's just not true. At least, not yet.
He also has to prove what was said about him that resulted in negative business impact is not accurate. Such as, reasonably sized cables, made with reasonable material quality and craftsmanship makes no difference in the sound reproduction of HiFi equipment, particularly cryo treated cables has no scientific basis. His AV123 GR Research X-Voce Speaker is terribly designed based on all the loud speaker research that was conducted in the past decades, particularly from the work of Dr. Toole.

Go right ahead and try to prove that those statements are false.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There is no issue at all with censorship. This is a private platform. No first amendment protections.

The potential issue would be defamation, which is tough (and costly) to prove.
I’m pretty sure defamation would be close to impossible to prove (mind you I’m no legal expert and certainly have no idea about defamation laws in the USA).

I guess my feeling is that being nasty to someone isn’t my preferred approach even if there’s no chance I’d be sued for it.

mjgraves

I guess my feeling is that being nasty to someone isn’t my preferred approach even if there’s no chance I’d be sued for it.
I don't think it "nasty" to simply and openly call out blatant dishonesty.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - U.S Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m pretty sure defamation would be close to impossible to prove (mind you I’m no legal expert and certainly have no idea about defamation laws in the USA).

I called Danny Ritchie a charlatan and a con man.

Per Webster dictionary, Charlatan is defined as one making usually showy pretenses to knowledge or ability. And per Oxford, a con man is defined as a man who cheats or tricks someone by gaining their trust and persuading them to believe something that is not true.

Have you seen Danny Ritchie's videos on YouTube? My assessment (and I'm sure plenty others as well) of Danny Ritchie's videos, his display of such self confidence, portrayal of subject matter expertise and authority but lacking factual science, complies with the above definition of a charlatan and con man. It's just a matter of fact, and if calling it what it is, is considered being "nasty," then I have no amends to such emotional sensitivity.

But out of respect for our host on ASR, I will go above and beyond to refrain from referring Danny Ritchie to what I believe is just a matter of fact descriptors of him.

beagleman

Major Contributor
There is no way changing an electrolytic for a poly cap of the same value will fix this problem
Well,..........."The devil is in the details", many times

No one specifically said it was the "Same value".....I suspect that is his "out" to fixing the actual issue, but blaming it on floor bounce and poor quality original capacitors.

Thing is, he is talking about upgrading even relatively current X-Statik models also......but only AFTER amir and a few members on audiocircle found that big bump and dip in the bass response......I applaud him for at least creating a fix for and issue

But at the same time why did Amir and owners of his speakers have to make it known TO Danny?

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thing is, he is talking about upgrading even relatively current X-Statik models also......but only AFTER amir and a few members on audiocircle found that big bump and dip in the bass response......I applaud him for at least creating a fix for and issue
I would applaud him for this. Applaud would be deserved if he clearly stated there were design problems in both speakers, apologize, say he will start measuring low frequency response and then provide a retroactive fix for all customers. He hasn't done any of this. When asked about my review in the comments, he writes that I don't know what I am doing.

beagleman

Major Contributor
I would applaud him for this. Applaud would be deserved if he clearly stated there were design problems in both speakers, apologize, say he will start measuring low frequency response and then provide a retroactive fix for all customers. He hasn't done any of this. When asked about my review in the comments, he writes that I don't know what I am doing.
I guess I was being Semi sarcastic in my comment.
I completely agree with what you say in this circumstance of course!

I doubt we can expect much more from him though. He seems to not own up to mistakes ever, which I mean maybe is "partially" human nature to some degree, but he seems to have more than his share of it......:facepalm:

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When asked about my review in the comments, he writes that I don't know what I am doing.
Found this on the internet and I thought it was fitting

1705413134976.png

beagleman

Major Contributor
Found this on the internet and I thought it was fitting

View attachment 342339

Sound reproduction, propagation and audio equipment and sound recording are entirely based on Science and Physics. ENTIRELY OBJECTIVE.

Listening to sound and one's reaction to, and of course music itself can be art or subjective. ENTIRELY SUBJECTIVE.

These type of guys try to create some false overlap.

Top Bottom