• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Kit Speaker Review (video)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is where I am getting at, but I am talking about this design reviewed here and pictured from their site so V2.0. I do not know anything about the original.
Hmm, the original design reviewed by Amir was one full range driver, this video by the speaker designer is talking about addressing the weaknesses by adding a woofer to the design - so turning it into a 2-way speaker, lol, so it's essentially a completely different design.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Hmm, the original design reviewed by Amir was one full range driver, this video by the speaker designer is talking about addressing the weaknesses by adding a woofer to the design - so turning it into a 2-way speaker, lol, so it's essentially a completely different design.
Got it, so next one will have a woofer I guess, didn't watch the whole thing, in the first part of the video he talks about this model, and that's what we see on his desk.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Got it, so next one will have a woofer I guess, didn't watch the whole thing, in the first part of the video he talks about this model, and that's what we see on his desk.
Ha, don't buy it just yet, see how it measures! :D ;)

Fidji

And of course, the worst "negative skills" are not the ones based on real and audible issues such as distortion, but rather those one can develop based on the "audible illusions" associated with sighted listening that infest the world of audiophilia. This can lead to dissatisfaction with one's audio system - and result in unnecessary, illogical, and possibly expensive system "upgrades" that might solve a "perceived phantom problem", but leave the door open to detecting new - and also imaginary - "negative audio issues".

I can not agree more, I had L-R stereo weight problem [caused by room acoustics and speaker design] and after I got my room treated properly, I was listening and looking for this imbalance for next 3 months.
Even today, 2 years after all of this, I still sometimes concentrate on this L-R balance unconcioussly, and I am annoyed by recordings, that try to be "interesting" trying to put sound senselessly unbalanced between channels.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can not agree more, I had L-R stereo weight problem [caused by room acoustics and speaker design] and after I got my room treated properly, I was listening and looking for this imbalance for next 3 months.
Even today, 2 years after all of this, I still sometimes concentrate on this L-R balance unconcioussly, and I am annoyed by recordings, that try to be "interesting" trying to put sound senselessly unbalanced between channels.
Ha, I know, you can't get wound up by this, I balanced the left & right of my various headphones perfectly through the frequency range after measuring them on my miniDSP EARS and it was worth it.....you then do notice that sometimes vocals of some people are shifted to the left or right slightly on some tracks, especially if they are duets or three people singing, they often place them in slightly different positions - so it would be an utter nightmare listening to your headphones or speakers trying to guage if they're balanced or not (if you were wrongly assuming they'd be central) - gotta do it through measurements really! (and then forget about it!)

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was mainly interested in this video to see how the recording of the speaker came accross - when it was discussed in the review thread for this speaker I wasn't really a proponent for recording the sound of speakers for playback by others. I listened to the short music clip (I could have done without Amir's croak halfway through as it was distracting from the listening & introduces some psychological bias), however I did hear some warbling in the voice towards the end and it wasn't as obvious as I expected it to sound. I don't have much experience detecting distortion as I've I only ever tested myself in formal tests twice, but I can detect distortion it seems (https://www.klippel.de/listeningtest/?page=test&testrunId=663101&step=17&answer=1 ) - whether or not a "recording of a speaker" reduced my ability to hear distortion is possible versus actually listening to the speaker itself.....and maybe also because I'm not familiar with that piece of music and there was no perfect vs distorted version of the track to listen to in an A/B situation.......either way I expected this speakers measured distortion to be more audible in that clip. I of course wouldn't buy this speaker, and my views haven't changed on this speaker being a rip-off, but I'm still not sold on the worthiness of "recording the sound of a speaker" for playback by others.

(I was listening to the clip on HD560s headphones)
Same here. I guess I need more training in order to "catch" the distortion but listening over YouTube with my HD660S, I had a hard time noticing it.
When I switched to the original recording (also over YouTube), the difference is HUGE! Can't even compare the signal that coming out of the speakers vs direct recording.
The lack of bass was most obvious.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Same here. I guess I need more training in order to "catch" the distortion but listening over YouTube with my HD660S, I had a hard time noticing it.
When I switched to the original recording (also over YouTube), the difference is HUGE! Can't even compare the signal that coming out of the speakers vs direct recording.
The lack of bass was most obvious.
It's true that they sound different, as I did that quick comparison too, but you have to understand is that the Youtube "master recording" is unadulterated whereas with Amir's recording you are listening to a recording of a speaker so you're listening to his room at the extremely narrow listening point of his microphone position - so it's not apples to apples......this is why I am fundamentally against "recording the sound of speakers" for playback by others. So the difference you hear is not necessarily the distortion aspect between the two recordings. ASR, please no more recordings of how a speaker sounds, ha!

(you certainly deserve a like for your honesty re your ability to hear distortion or not in that in my opinion)

Last edited:

bo_knows

It's true that they sound different, as I did that quick comparison too, but you have to understand is that the Youtube "master recording" is unadulterated whereas with Amir's recording you are listening to a recording of a speaker so you're listening to his room at the extremely narrow listening point of his microphone position - so it's not apples to apples......this is why I am fundamentally against "recording the sound of speakers" for playback by others. So the difference you hear is not necessarily the distortion aspect between the two recordings. ASR, please no more recordings of how a speaker sounds, ha!
I fully understand what you are saying. I was exaggerating a bit. My point, I need to be trained to hear what seems to be an obvious distortion.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I fully understand what you are saying. I was exaggerating a bit. My point, I need to be trained to hear what seems to be an obvious distortion.
I think that would help, but at the same time you need a reference point to compare to that is controlled - an A/B that is under the same conditions, with just the distortion as the variable. I do think that people who know Amir's track intimately would truly be in a position to identify the distortion easier, but ideally you need a perfect vs distorted in the same environment to evaluate, which is not possible really here. Certainly though, for super severe distortion then anyone could hear that as it would be super unnatural and unpleasant. (This is not super super obvious distortion in this vid). I definitely wouldn't worry about your ears.

DanielT

Major Contributor
So Danny is now fixing the speaker by adding a 5 inch woofer.

The beaming at high frequencies will still be there, so I guess the next step is to improve it by adding a tweeter. ;)
So what does it boil down to? A three-way speaker, but otherwise with a slightly larger bass element than what Danny suggests.5 inch bass together with 3 inch midrange, please....come on!

That grasps any amateur DIY speaker builder directly. It's basic. What different drives have for performance, capacity, limitations but also advantages. That is seriously basically stuff! Then making a GOOD three-way speaker is a completely different matter, but the very basic principle.:) But Danny is not basic. He
is or should be knowledgeabl, after all the decades he has been doing speaker construction. It's seriously embarrassing!

Edit:
Although Danny now with his new video performs damage control and principle verifies the problem Amir pointed out.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I heard it the moment the full bass hit a deep note and the speaker distorted it and after that it was not as obvious but still there. I used my Sennheiser HD 598 headphones at a loud volume for listening.
Fair do's, but it's easy to be "swayed" in an uncontrolled test like this when there is no control to test against - I don't necessarily not believe you though, but it's unimportant.....please no recordings of how speakers sound ASR, please.

bo_knows

I heard it the moment the full bass hit a deep note and the speaker distorted it and after that it was not as obvious but still there. I used my Sennheiser HD 598 headphones at a loud volume for listening.
I was focusing on the vocal per Amir's observation.

I'll give it another listen and focus on the bass portion of it.

In my current setup, I don't expect to ever observe such audible distortion.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It does kind of play into our disdain of the speaker tests/reviews on YouTube.
definitely, let's not go there with imitation

PeteL

Major Contributor
Ha, I know, you can't get wound up by this, I balanced the left & right of my various headphones perfectly through the frequency range after measuring them on my miniDSP EARS and it was worth it.....you then do notice that sometimes vocals of some people are shifted to the left or right slightly on some tracks, especially if they are duets or three people singing, they often place them in slightly different positions - so it would be an utter nightmare listening to your headphones or speakers trying to guage if they're balanced or not (if you were wrongly assuming they'd be central) - gotta do it through measurements really! (and then forget about it!)
Not a bad advice to do it by measurments, but really if it's significant, it's not hard to notice, at least with headphones, I don't know but at least 90% of the music I listen to have lead vocal and kick panned dead center. I notice if right away. Now for speakers, not sure how one would measure this. You may want to measure the accuracy of your balanced pot if you have one and see if center is really centered, but beside that, most of the imbalance you'll get is caused by your room snd speaker placement. In that case, maybe some have good advices, maybe measure one speaker at time snd see if there are level difference at listening position and compensate but still. I find ears quite accurate for that kind of things. If it sounds louder on one side and the voice is not at center, it probably isn't. Just don't use old Hendrix or Stones recordings for that.

Last edited:

bo_knows

Man, I think I'm wasting money on the audio equipment. I just listen to the sound clip again in Amir's video, and I can't say I can hear clear distortion.
As Robbo99999 said, I need a point of reference in order to know what I'm listening for.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not a bad advice to do it by measurments, but really if it's significant, it's not hard to notice, at least with headphones, I don't know bug at least 90% of the music I listen to have lead vocal and kick panned dead center. I notice if right away. Now for speakers, not sure how one would measure this. You may want to measure the accuracy of your balanced pot if you have one and see if center is really centered, but beside that, most of the imbalance you'll get is caused by your room snd speaker placement. In that case, maybe some have good advices, maybe measure one speaker at time snd see if there are level difference at listening position and compensate but still. I find ears quite accurate for that kind of things. If it sounds louder on one side and the voice is not at center, it probably isn't. Just don't use old Hendrix or Stones recordings for that.
You say that, but I found that it was impossible to know without measuring, by virtue that you can never guarantee where specific sounds are supposed to be imaged on the soundstage in a recording. And anecdotally I certainly felt that after the balancing that certain smooth left & right panning sound effects seemed to be a lot more balanced around my head - sound effects that are supposed to loop around your head. I also noticed that pinpointing voices in duets and when 3 people singing I could tell there positions were a bit more succinct - I think with unbalanced channels there was less positional distinction. I really don't think you can tune these things by ear, I'm sure you really have to do them by measurements.

EDIT: it's certainly worth doing the same thing for speakers at your listening position if you always listen at the same point.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Man, I think I'm wasting money on the audio equipment. I just listen to the sound clip again in Amir's video, and I can't say I can hear clear distortion.
As Robbo99999 said, I need a point of reference in order to know what I'm listening for.
Naa, you're not wasting your money, it's just an uncontrolled test - it doesn't mean you can't appreciate better measuring audio gear, it just means that the test is a little flawed.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
25:28 in the video a twang buzz can be heard from the stand up full bass.

Top Bottom