• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Towelgate: AV123 GR Research X-Voce Speaker Review (Video)

D

Deleted member 21219

There are also a lot of "no-name" but reasonable quality drivers that go into all the mass market A/V devices out there. Someone supplies off-the-shelf drivers for TVs, soundbars, bluetooth speakers, etc... not all with names we'd recognize, but virtually all will be "off the shelf". The consumer DIY space for drivers is tiny compared to what simply gets folded into commodity-level audio goods. It's like the market for aftermarket spoilers vs. the entire market for brake rotors.

I would imagine that Misco and Eminence get a good share of that market, and possibly MSE. Misco and MSE are under-the-radar for most people. Eminence is mostly known for guitar speakers, but they'll make custom to your specs if they can.

The supply from overseas is tremendous, but more difficult to deal with than the U.S. companies. Language barriers (real or imagined) and time lag can be formidable.

Jim

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks. Sure I can place it there but the background is terrible.
When my son wanted to try making youtube videos a while back we bought him an inexpensive greenscreen (maybe $50?) that has two horizontal rods mounted on a tripod stand. It breaks down easily. There are inexpensive options on B&H, Adorama, and (of course) Amazon.

As an added bonus, you can post-process images on the green screen if you are so inclined. Like maybe a video clip of an explosion when you are describing some particularly sub-standard gear.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
When my son wanted to try making youtube videos a while back we bought him an inexpensive greenscreen (maybe $50?) that has two horizontal rods mounted on a tripod stand. It breaks down easily. There are inexpensive options on B&H, Adorama, and (of course) Amazon.

As an added bonus, you can post-process images on the green screen if you are so inclined. Like maybe a video clip of an explosion when you are describing some particularly sub-standard gear.
I have thought about those options. The problem is that my lab is in a loft, open to the rest of the house. Hanging green screens there is just not in the cards. I could put it up and take it down but that is a lot of work. So for now, I am leaning on value of the content getting people over the hump of non-perfect production values.

BTW, I did improve the lighting for this video and will continue to improve the setup as I think of non-intrusive ways to do it.

audiotron

GR is a motorsport division of Toyota and it stands for Gazoo Racing which makes Supras . Could the X-Voce be a trunk speaker for Gazoo Racing?

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have thought about those options. The problem is that my lab is in a loft, open to the rest of the house. Hanging green screens there is just not in the cards. I could put it up and take it down but that is a lot of work. So for now, I am leaning on value of the content getting people over the hump of non-perfect production values.

BTW, I did improve the lighting for this video and will continue to improve the setup as I think of non-intrusive ways to do it.
Amir, it's not a hanging screen -- it is on a tripod stand you put on the floor behind you. Super simple.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Adding on, what is relentless is messages against audio science and engineering in numerous youtube videos, Danny's included. Are you really asking that we stand silent and just take it? To what end?
You can't convince people that believe they are thinking, but really confuse thinking with feeling. It's a fools errand.

Think about it this way, what have the haters ever done for ASR, except driving up your click rates on Youtube and looking silly while doing so? :cool:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21219

You can't convince people that believe they are thinking, but really confuse thinking with feeling, that using a measurement approach makes sense. It's a fools errand.

I'm not so sure about that. I think that in the case of a certain number of people, that you're correct; it's definitely a fool's errand. But I have to believe that there are many more people who can be brought 'round by logic and reason - even if you have to hammer the points home time after time - than there are die-hards who refuse to learn.

There was a certain segment who had to be pulled, kicking and screaming, from (just for instance) geocentrism to heliocentrism. But over time, the vast majority saw the truth of the matter, through education and model demonstration. It just didn't happen over night.

We will ALWAYS have that certain small clique of die-hards. I don't believe that they refuse to believe what is real, they just refuse to acknowledge what is real. Big difference.

All of these people who repudiate measurement techniques don't really believe the bullshit that they purport to think, because they use and/or trust cell phones, MRI imaging, GPS, nuclear power, SLAR, pictures from the Mars Rover, irradiated food and even something that they use every day (the internet) - all of which were created and made successful by extensive and exacting systems of measurements and analysis.

Perhaps they just want to be noticed. Poor little guys! :rolleyes:

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
Is Danny an engineer?
More so a self proclaimed audio "guru"...

gr-450.jpg

JSmith

Soria Moria

More so a self proclaimed audio "guru"...

gr-450.jpg

JSmith
Does some of that equipment have the same material and pattern as the floor? I don't like how it looks. I can't tell if the amplifier in the middle on the floor is just a very reflective mirror reflecting the floor or if he actually designed it himself based on his floor. Yuck.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I can't tell if the amplifier in the middle on the floor is just a very reflective mirror reflecting the floor or if he actually designed it himself based on his floor. Yuck.
Yeah it's reflection... but still looks horrible anyway.

1700800186473.png

... also Dodo Audio doesn't exist anymore, it went the way of the Dodo. :cool:

JSmith

pollock0424

Yeah it's reflection... but still looks horrible anyway.

View attachment 328932

... also Dodo Audio doesn't exist anymore, it went the way of the Dodo. :cool:

JSmith
I kinda like it, it is super cool looking and I will be a proud owner as long as it doesn't adversely influence the sound. DODO is a peculiar name for a company...

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did not realize, but Danny's Tuesday tech talks are now every other Tuesday. If you were expecting an update on the suspect Jamo Concert 8 upgrade or possibly a reply to Amir's video, you may never see one. Instead, he has posted an expensive upgrade to the Polk 703's. But with a new twist...

He actually claims he likes them and shows some initial measurements, ditches measurements, then keeps the crossover design but replaces the parts anyway. All along claiming it will sound better. He includes NoRez despite a CSD showing no reason for using it. He has taken a page from his NRD buddy and now drops references to his designs being better than what you can buy from others.

I suspected he might go this route and rather than up his technical game, he is upping his subjective pitch. Looks like another sign of the times. :eek:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 48726

Did not realize, but Danny's Tuesday tech talks are now every other Tuesday. If you were expecting an update on the suspect Jamo Concert 8 upgrade or possibly a reply to Amir's video, you may never see one. Instead, he has posted an expensive upgrade to the Polk 703's. But with a new twist...

He actually claims he likes them and shows some initial measurements, ditches measurements, then keeps the crossover design but replaces the parts anyway. All along claiming it will sound better. He includes NoRez despite a CSD showing no reason for using it. He has taken a page from his NRD buddy and now drops references to his designs being better than what you can buy from others.

I suspected he might go this route and rather than up his technical game, he is upping his subjective pitch. Looks like another sign of the times. :eek:

:facepalm:

-I will never fully understand how people work.

BTW; what do you mean about NRD? -Is he selling stuff? I watch all his binaural videos as I find them interesting.

Top Bottom