• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Towelgate: AV123 GR Research X-Voce Speaker Review (Video)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hello everyone. Someone suggested I do a video review of the AV123 / GR Research X-Voce center speaker so here it is:

I uploaded it last night and when I tried to make it visible today, youtube forced me to make it a "premier" which is made it into a live thing of sorts. :(

For above reason, you see the chat box/comments if you go to youtube: Video Link

Michael Fidler

Audio Company
First the 'Little Giant Killers' and now this! I'm sure Danny isn't too pleased with you but it's good to see these getting properly evaluated, even if just for the entertainment value.

EDIT - Of course the manufacturer is getting what they deserve for sending out speakers with these kinds of defects, especially as they're claiming to be an authority on the design of these devices.

Last edited:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Great video Amir. :)
Agree, may be one of your best. You are a very relatable personality and your facial expressions are epic. You should do more Videos. YouTube is where practically everyone goes to learn about stuff. Maybe consider having guest episodes like a general discussion about audio testing methodology with Dr. Toole or maybe a well known Speaker/headphone designer. Use video chat and no travel required. Or just a meet and greet with a representative from an Audio company. Start a thread a few weeks before the scheduled meeting and solicit potential Questions to be asked from our Members. You can choose the top 10 or 20 and this way Members can actively participate in the content to be discussed.

You do seem like a natural YouTube personality but you bring decades of actual Audio Engineering experience and knowledge. :cool:

Last edited:

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I wonder if the relentlessness towards Danny is fully justified.
His little business is to sell tube connectors and filters, while big brands take advantage of their reputations to sell crap at stratospheric prices: there is a difference between the snake oil craftsman and the snake oil industry.

My feelings: he his paying for the snake oil industry sins.

Hart

Really enjoyed the video, especially the end summation about "why be in this business"......one idea, it it possible to put camera over your computer screen? I think the more it looks like you are looking at your audience the better?

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Really enjoyed the video, especially the end summation about "why be in this business"......one idea, it it possible to put camera over your computer screen? I think the more it looks like you are looking at your audience the better?
Thanks. Sure I can place it there but the background is terrible. It will look into my lightbox which I use for product photography. It is a large, ugly black and white box. This side angle avoids that and shows a bit of my instrumentation which looks more professional. I try to look into the camera often but as I read other bits, I will have to look away. It is a compromise for sure. I will think of how to better optimize it in the future.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I wonder if the relentlessness towards Danny is fully justified.
I do a review related to him every 3 to 4 months. I don't see how that makes it relentless. In this case, a member approached me to test this speaker and here we are. If it had performed well it would have garnered praise. I am not in control of flaws in his work that generated results otherwise.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Adding on, what is relentless is messages against audio science and engineering in numerous youtube videos, Danny's included. Are you really asking that we stand silent and just take it? To what end?

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Adding on, what is relentless is messages against audio science and engineering in numerous youtube videos, Danny's included. Are you really asking that we stand silent and just take it? To what end?

Not at all. I think there is already some reviews about his products on ASR and each time it is worst and worst. it's not a matter of silence, but a matter of quantity.

Last edited:

sam_adams

Major Contributor
@amirm, do we have a Danny reaction video? You know the kind we're looking for, with the shocked face, hemming and hawing, and breathless incoherent denials.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Not at all. I think there is already some reviews about his products on ASR and each time it is worst and worst. t's not a matter of silence, but a matter of quantity.
I have probably done 50 other reviews since I tested one of his products. I don't call this too much. But again, I have no control of frequency and timing other than the one time I bought his power cord. Members should be free to send me products from any manufacturer.

Also, the developments here are completely new and fresh. We have found broad problems in a number of products he makes and improper measurements (or lack thereof).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm, do we have a Danny reaction video? You know the kind we're looking for, with the shocked face, hemming and hawing, and breathless incoherent denials.
:)

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no doubt Danny Ritchie and similar people such as Mike Marrow and Caelin Gabriel are very passionate about the HiFi hobby. They probably did a lot of tinkering; their passion and the tinkering (and illusion of grandeur) led them to believe that they have some kind of talent and that they can built great products.

But there is something wrong, they did not go and get the proper training. Like Amir said in the video, if you want to be a doctor, you need to go to med school, get the proper training. They didn't, either because they simply don't have chops to pass mustard (because these technical trainings are very hard) or they are delusional and make up the science in their head. So now these people end up being audio witch doctors.

Fidji

Not at all. I think there is already some reviews about his products on ASR and each time it is worst and worst. it's not a matter of silence, but a matter of quantity.

this one got recommendation, it seems to me, to get good review on ASR is pretty easy - just make competently engineered product.

On top, and one of the reasons (I believe) he is getting so much flak - Danny is acting as some kind of uber-wise guru of audio. His famous “cheeeeeesiiiiiii” videos, him commenting work of the others and defending the undefendable in quite hilarious ways.

Last edited:

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor

this one got recommendation, it seems to me, to get good review on ASR is pretty easy - just make competently engineered product.

On top, and one of the reasons (I believe) he is getting so much flak - Danny is acting as some kind of uber-wise guru of audio. His famous “cheeeeeesiiiiiii” videos, him commenting others work and defending undefendable in quite hilarious ways.
So he's a kind of clown?

Top Bottom