• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Towelgate: AV123 GR Research X-Voce Speaker Review (Video)

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:facepalm:

-I will never fully understand how people work.

BTW; what do you mean about NRD? -Is he selling stuff? I watch all his binaural videos as I find them interesting.

Must be another channel? I frequently run into this sort of NRD propaganda on youtube…

GR even gets a mention in his review of Shaw’s latest OB speaker.

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ron from new record days and Danny Ritchie are friends. They are partners in crime.
Are all of his friends into crime? What crime are we talking about?

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I'm not so sure about that. I think that in the case of a certain number of people, that you're correct; it's definitely a fool's errand. But I have to believe that there are many more people who can be brought 'round by logic and reason - even if you have to hammer the points home time after time - than there are die-hards who refuse to learn.
A majority of those who view audio YouTube channels just want some confirmation that it's okay to go ahead and buy a specific device. As long as someone tells them it's okay, they feel less apprehensive about the purchase and also have someone to blame if they do not like the device.

They're not looking for logic and reason.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't think the measurements of these speakers are criminal? :D
;)

But seriously, all kinds of companies sell overpriced stuff with claims that are pure fantasy. Consider this soundbar, i put red arrows on the interesting parts:
1701182754898.png

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Amir, didn't Danny tell you its an Atmos sound bar? You covered the ceiling speakers. Just kidding.
Great video. I was shaking my head as soon as I saw those grills. Not surprising the off axis is so bad. Also not surprising is Danny can't hear how bad they sound.

Steve1138

There's an update out from Danny just yesterday on the X-Statik's and X-Voce. He did revisit the crossovers because the Tweeter diaphragm material got changed. Looks fine to me with in-room measurements, and remember you should be crossing these to the subs at 80Hz also.. He's offering to upgrade the original AV123 customers crossovers for free or upgrade to the newer higher quality components if you don't already have them for the cost of the new parts. Who else does that? I think it's a good service to offer. admittedly he could be doing more to look at sub-200Hz response, I accept that but also remember as was incorrectly stated in the video here - he doesn't buy speakers from other manufacturers and upgrade them - he only works on what viewers send him just like here at ASR, unless Amir has actually bought the product and stated it so. I find both channels complimentary - I learned a lot from watching all of Danny's videos (multiple times) and have since re-engineered crossovers on three pairs of Linn Tukans for my wall mounted ATMOS surrounds and two pairs of Linn AV5110's as the ATMOS heights. with completely new XO designs and better quality parts. It's not all fully operational yetso don't ask me yet how it all sounds!

beagleman

Major Contributor
There's an update out from Danny just yesterday on the X-Statik's and X-Voce. He did revisit the crossovers because the Tweeter diaphragm material got changed. Looks fine to me with in-room measurements, and remember you should be crossing these to the subs at 80Hz also.. He's offering to upgrade the original AV123 customers crossovers for free or upgrade to the newer higher quality components if you don't already have them for the cost of the new parts. Who else does that? I think it's a good service to offer. admittedly he could be doing more to look at sub-200Hz response, I accept that but also remember as was incorrectly stated in the video here - he doesn't buy speakers from other manufacturers and upgrade them - he only works on what viewers send him just like here at ASR, unless Amir has actually bought the product and stated it so. I find both channels complimentary - I learned a lot from watching all of Danny's videos (multiple times) and have since re-engineered crossovers on three pairs of Linn Tukans for my wall mounted ATMOS surrounds and two pairs of Linn AV5110's as the ATMOS heights. with completely new XO designs and better quality parts. It's not all fully operational yetso don't ask me yet how it all sounds!

I had to rewatch it a few times to see what you mean here....

He offers to replace ONE cap on the woofer circuit, that he "does not trust", a small electrolytic, with a new poly cap, if the owner of this version sends in the crossover board, AND GR Research determines it needs a new cap.

I have to wonder, if maybe they used the wrong value cap on some boards, or wires were accidentally wrong polarity and they are trying to a bit under the radar, simply fix a mistake they are now being made aware of??

After all these years, AND with the Advent of ASR/DIY Audio finding flaws, Danny is suddenly jumping into gear about this issue.....like a retroactive fix....Not saying it is a "Bad move" per se, but it looks like he is hesitant to admit to anything ever being wrong, or making a mistake.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had to rewatch it a few times to see what you mean here....

He offers to replace ONE cap on the woofer circuit, that he "does not trust", a small electrolytic, with a new poly cap, if the owner of this version sends in the crossover board, AND GR Research determines it needs a new cap.

I have to wonder, if maybe they used the wrong value cap on some boards, or wires were accidentally wrong polarity and they are trying to a bit under the radar, simply fix a mistake they are now being made aware of??

After all these years, AND with the Advent of ASR/DIY Audio finding flaws, Danny is suddenly jumping into gear about this issue.....like a retroactive fix....Not saying it is a "Bad move" per se, but it looks like he is hesitant to admit to anything ever being wrong, or making a mistake.
Hey guys, time to wake up. There is no fix, the speaker is inherently flaw from a through z. Danny employed zero science into this speaker design maybe except for his delusional ego. This crossover cap fix BS is just a ploy to salvage his reputation.

Wake up and smell the coffee, Danny Ritchie is not trained in anything speaker or audio, Danny Richie doesn't know any science nor is he capable of learning any. Danny Richie is a charlatan and a con man.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm so sorry that you've been conned by this charlatan. I don't know how you fell for it, but I wish there was something I can do to prevent more victims from falling like you.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
defamatory statements
Agreed, we shouldn't devolve into a mob that spouts emotions.
Real beauty is found in well thought out factual statements that deliver the destructive force of a thousand suns.
mr-bean-delicious.gif

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm not sure if it's a good idea to be posting things like this to a public forum. At some point defamatory statements might come back and bite you.
While we enjoy broad protections of speech in US, and heave knows Danny's own nose is very dirty on this front, I agree that we should not post to just to call people/companies names. Let's state the issue and leave it at that.

In this case, the half of Danny's business that deals with tweaks and such is dubious and not backed by any reliable evidence from the company. Claims of their efficacy can be trivially shown to be false advertising as I have demonstrated in my tests.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure if it's a good idea to be posting things like this to a public forum. At some point defamatory statements might come back and bite you.
I am not concerned.

While we enjoy broad protections of speech in US, and heave knows Danny's own nose is very dirty on this front, I agree that we should not post to just to call people/companies names. Let's state the issue and leave it at that.

In this case, the half of Danny's business that deals with tweaks and such is dubious and not backed by any reliable evidence from the company. Claims of their efficacy can be trivially shown to be false advertising as I have demonstrated in my tests.
Always professional. I'll just leave it as Danny Ritchie has not demonstrated he has employed any real science in anything he has "designed" or sells. And it's shocking how many people thinks any good of his products and services, like his cryo treated cables.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It might be nice to extend that politeness to the many other people/companies that also get called names by ASR members.
It is a fine line to walk before we get accused of censoring, being in the pocket of companies, etc. We also don't remotely read even 10% of the posts on the forum.

Top Bottom