• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Youtube is running ads against my channel :(

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Typically the ads are connected to the viewer's interests/browsing history, not the content creator's. Sometimes people don't realise this and the results can be both amusing and embarassing: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gavin-barwell-conservative-mp-blunder-1772319

I'm another one of those "ruining the free internet for everyone" people as I use both pi-hole and uBlock Origin everywhere (well, except Chrome for Android, which doesn't allow plugins, hence pi-hole), so I don't see a lot of ads. I've also configured my browser to delete all cookies upon exit except for a small whitelist of sites (such as ASR) where being logged out all the time is annoying.

This gets some funny effect on the suggested vidoes i get on youtube , viewing Amir and Erin gets me suggestions of other audio related videos of course , but the algorithms cant see the difference between Amir and Paul o_O and perhaps is does not matter much for generating ad revenue.
I can see that because before discovering Amir and Erin I've never used YouTube for audio related content as there's only been these BS artist opening boxes and shilling whatever they got in the mail this Tuesday

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
…do advertising purchasers have any control over which content they are placed with?
I have not bought such ad space. But I am pretty certain they can't target an exact video.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So google has approved my monetization application. I am going to wait to see if it throws more ads at my content before turning it on.

Pennyless Audiophile

Amir, I see no harm in it.
I am a YouTuber as well (not in the HiFi & Music niche) and I run ads on my videos.
Since we have no control on the advertisers, nobody can accuse you to be partial to someone. Ads are tailored for the viewer, not the host, so, again, you have no responsibility here.
The income from the ads is going to support the channel and put you in the condition of doing an even better job (if humanly possible...)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's call it for what it is. They are acting as a monopoly, and at some point, soon I hope, this will bite them in the ass. I am more and more frustrated by the control the Big Tech companies have over our our lives. I am trying to act consequently. Ad blocker to start.. The rest is to wean myself from Chrome...
I heard a stat during a story on NPR the other day that floored me. The story was about the spread of misinformation and how YT was the biggest source by far based on the # of people watching worldwide per day. I believe it was 5 billion per day.
https://merchdope.com/youtube-stats/

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is the puzzling thing: the only time I saw ads were when I was using the Edge browser. On my devices I still don't see ads even though I don't have an ad-blocker. Anyone is seeing ads that don't have ad blockers?
I always see ads on YT from my Roku, from the Chromecast streamer and on my computers, as well as when watching from the OS on my LG TV but ironically not when watching your videos. At least not the last time I watched on of yours which was this past weekend. When did ads begin appearing?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
idk theres plenty of things to criticize google for but im not sure this is one of them. they need to make money somehow and youtube overall is losing them money
Losing them money? Only by virtue of creative accounting.

Katji

Major Contributor
I re-enabled uBlock Origin for Youtube yesterday, I was tired of the same ad every time.

spartaman64

Losing them money? Only by virtue of creative accounting.
not really i think you overestimate how much ads get them paid around 1-2$ per click and then they have to give some of it to the youtuber. and underestimate how much servers cost. the motherboard alone can cost around 700 dollars

Jungstar

I use ad blockers but they dont work for youtube. It may be my browser or something else, i dont know.

"Adblock for Youtube" extension on Chrome works for me.

It used to be that small channels with under 1000 subscribers was without ads, but they changed that. But they did also make the % they make less and tried to make it fairer recently.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
not really i think you overestimate how much ads get them paid around 1-2$ per click and then they have to give some of it to the youtuber. and underestimate how much servers cost. the motherboard alone can cost around 700 dollars
Motherboard??

Jungstar

Let me share a few things about Youtube/Google...

1) Creators have almost no influence over where Ads are shown. Content can be checked as "For kids" and that will influence what ads can be shown. There is some max for the number of ads inside each video, that is why some creators make videos 10 min and 6 seconds (vs 9 min and 54 sec), they can fit in another ad sloth and make more. But hey, that is how they pay rent, etc.
2) Each time you click an ad, the advertiser pays Google money. Anywhere from 0.25 USD to 15 USD per click! My company used to pay up to 8-9 USD for / click!
3) Advertisers have very limited influence over where the ads will show up. Advertisers don't want clicks from "people that would never buy", ie let's say you were selling Preamps for Turntables and you wanted to avoid showing up on videos about "Preamps for Guitars", and avoid attracting the wrong buyer. So you would add "negative keywords".
4) Youtube wants to maximize the ad revenue of every hour watched of content. Since Google makes money, when users click ads, they want to show content that is worth clicking. If someone made an ad where 10% of viewers clicked and the competition made worse ads (or less relevant) where only 5% clicked, the latter would have to pay double the price for each click to "outbid" the former competitor. (That is a strong simplification, but correct as principle).

There are other platforms than Youtube, but I think the purpose of ASR is important and Youtube is where most of the users are, so it's maxing the impact and reach.

I would love to see Amir explain concepts to new Audiophiles, and let them ask follow-up questions in Videos. I think that would make it easier to understand for beginners.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm confused-what does that have to do with YouTube? I'd imagine they have the most advanced hardware money can buy and lots of it. You do know how much revenue YT brings in? motherboards probably are a very small line item for them. Don't feel sorry for them. Look up the stats. Bill Gates is envious of their revenue.

spartaman64

I'm confused-what does that have to do with YouTube? I'd imagine they have the most advanced hardware money can buy and lots of it. You do know how much revenue YT brings in? motherboards probably are a very small line item for them. Don't feel sorry for them. Look up the stats. Bill Gates is envious of their revenue.
youtube revenue is a tiny fraction of google's total revenue and probably costs them about as much also. i dont feel sorry for them im just stating that youtube isnt the huge money printing machine that some people think it is.
500 hours of video is uploaded to youtube every minute and probably the majority of those videos will only get like 2 views. and of those views probably a good amount of people are using adblock thus earning youtube no money. and of those people who not have adblock most of them dont click on ads again earning youtube little to no money.

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
youtube revenue is a tiny fraction of google's total revenue and probably costs them about as much also. i dont feel sorry for them im just stating that youtube isnt the huge money printing machine that some people think it is.
500 hours of video is uploaded to youtube every minute and probably the majority of those videos will only get like 2 views. and of those views probably a good amount of people are using adblock thus earning youtube no money. and of those people who not have adblock most of them dont click on ads again earning youtube little to no money.

My heart bleeds for them. They are clearly only in it for love.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom