• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

YouTube cracks down on ad blockers

Status
Not open for further replies.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
YouTube cracks down on ad blockers - and makes its subscription more expensive.
Pay up or accept interruptions: YouTube is urging customers to stop blocking out commercials. A new price increase does not exactly make the premium subscription more attractive.
What still works for me is uBlock Origin in Chrome and Firefox. My OS is Ubuntu.
There is also an interesting extension called 'Freetube'. But I have not tested that yet.

The battle for a clean screen continues...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would not count on uBlock Origin to continue working. They are rolling this out to various users over time not all at once. I've heard about it for a few months. I started getting notice to unblock Ads or buy premium a couple weeks ago using uBlock on Firefox (on a Linux machine). After I think 3 or 4 of those which delayed the video, but let it play it would no longer let you view the vids until you unblocked youtube.

One solution that might come soon with some blockers is they will allow the ads, but buffer things so the ad plays so fast you don't see it. Some are reporting if you log out of your google account you can then watch with blockers again. Don't know if that will last. I have a Windows laptop and using Chrome with uBlock Origin, I still can watch youtube with no issues. Same location just different hardware. Others report the same.

maty

Major Contributor
uBlock Origin

The first list is the key

uBlock Origin.png

D

Deleted member 48726

Yes, of course, you always have to adapt. So far, I have always been able to arrange my life in such a way that I was spared such adversity.
Only my kids see ads because they use the smart TV youtube app. I'm allergic to this toxicity. It's a waste of my time. No advertisement has ever sold me anything.
I despise the ones who just pay and says that "Google also needs to make money". So far none here has taken that approach but they will get blocked.. LOL ;)

OP
computer-audiophile

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
If YouTube were to actually succeed in blocking all adblocker users itself, this would also have an impact on ASR users. After all, quite a few explanatory videos and music examples are linked on ASR again and again. That has been very useful so far. An alternative solution would have to be created for this.

Andysu

Major Contributor
So far Adblock Plus works in Firefox as well. I got warnings when they started the new campaign, but it has somehow resolved itself and works fine now.
its the scamming con men people ads on youtube that vexes me , if i only had firefox plane i can rid those ads

84nk0r.gif

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No advertisement has ever sold me anything.
They seem to be doing quite well at selling stuff to a lot of people judging from the fact that annual global advertisement market size is above $600B - that is more than the GDP of Austria. Why do you think they can not sell you anything?

Yasuo

I saw the warring recently and only once. I'm on Firefox, uBo and some anti ad block script via tamper/violent monkey. Plus the sponsor block addon in FF. Everything works fine.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
They seem to be doing quite well at selling stuff to a lot of people judging from the fact that annual global advertisement market size is above $600B - that is more than the GDP of Austria. Why do you think they can not sell you anything?

FOr myself...I basically don't even notice most ads. It's white noise ftmp to me. If anything I'd say they more often are likely to prompt me to avoid a product than anything else...if the ad happens to be really annoying for some reason.

D

Deleted member 48726

I don't. I am not lured by ads.

Andysu

Major Contributor
when annoying obnoxious youtube ads are about to play , i mute the audio as that really gets under my skin it does
84npeq.gif

JSmith

Master Contributor
This repository contains a userscript designed to remove the annoying "Ad blocker are not allowed on Youtube" popup. Follow the instructions below to get started. We also have an undetected way of skipping ads if you get blocked from the video player.

Ironically the video is on YT... chicken and egg here. :cool:

JSmith

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
They're doing very well at selling advertising to a lot of companies. The claim is that this will help the companies sell their products to the end users, and Google claim to be able to target them more effectively at the people who might actually buy them. Whether 'people who have gone out of their way to find and install ad blockers' will react to the ads positively or negatively is another matter entirely...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom