• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

YouTube cracks down on ad blockers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Actually there are various platform delivering hi/res flac in streaming: Tidal HiFi, Amazon Music HD, Deezer Premium, Qobuz, Spotify premium can go up to 320kbps.
That in no way contradicts what i said. Sites/systems are designed to server various formats and bitrates. In order to change what being served would require whole sale access to multiple systems. If hackers gain that level of access they aren't going going to be like lets make flac free for everyone, they are going for user or financial information.

It’s a fact: hackers can break into HBO, Disney+, Sky, etc with no problems, I dont believe that music platform have better protections than video streaming companies

in most cases (since you didn't site any specific incident) systems aren't being hacked.

• it's usually user accounts (people with crappy passwords etc), get there account "hacked"
  • some company employee was dumb enough to get their personal machine hacked, usually via an email.

In short something' like this is never going to happen. because it can be caught and fixed.
I find it really strange that there is no method to crack these platforms and have flac streaming for free

recycle

That in no way contradicts what i said. Sites/systems are designed to server various formats and bitrates. In order to change what being served would require whole sale access to multiple systems. If hackers gain that level of access they aren't going going to be like lets make flac free for everyone, they are going for user or financial information.

in most cases (since you didn't site any specific incident) systems aren't being hacked.

• it's usually user accounts (people with crappy passwords etc), get there account "hacked"
  • some company employee was dumb enough to get their personal machine hacked, usually via an email.

In short something' like this is never going to happen. because it can be caught and fixed.

It seems you are misinformed about piracy and IPTV, we are talking about $115.3 billion in damages to the GDP (USA). if you are interested I’ll help you:

https://cordcuttersnews.com/piracy-from-iptv-services-reportedly-costs-115-3-billion-560000-jobs/

https://iptv.legal/index.php/2023/11/29/operation-404/

DLS79

Forum Donor
It seems you are misinformed about piracy and IPTV, we are talking about $115.3 billion in damages to the GDP (USA). if you are interested I’ll help you:

Do you understand that piracy and hacking a service aren't even close to the same thing?

Just about anyone with a valid account could capture a feed (video, or audio) and re-stream it!

recycle

Do you understand that piracy and hacking a service aren't even close to the same thing?

Just about anyone with a valid account could capture a feed (video, or audio) and re-stream it!
Listen, I'm very little interested in procedures, I'm going back to the initial question: Why do hackers deal with IPTV and broadcast/on demand TV and not with music platforms or even youtube?

DLS79

Forum Donor
Listen, I'm very little interested in procedures, I'm going back to the initial question: Why do hackers deal with IPTV and broadcast/on demand TV and not with music platforms or even youtube?

If had to guess, it's because they don't think its financially viable!

JSmith

Master Contributor
Why do hackers deal with IPTV and broadcast/on demand TV and not with music platforms or even youtube?
I don't think one can call content "pirates" hackers... very different. I know of many sites that have large libraries of old and new music available for free, much of which is ripped from music streaming platforms. Something I only ever use when I can't find something, it's not on streaming services or the price is silly.

JSmith

A_T_O_M_I_C_Rooster

Forum Donor
If you happen to have a VPN service and can connect to servers in Costa Rica for example, you can bypass ads. There are a few countries that don't seem to allow streaming ads. I certainly do not need to consume ANY ads over my own internet connection that I pay for. Imagine paying for internet, and also listening/viewing ads.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I certainly do not need to consume ANY ads over my own internet connection that I pay for. Imagine paying for internet, and also listening to ads.

That's what these businesses seem to forget. I pay for the data and connection, not them. I decide what I want to watch and how my connection is used, not them.

If youtube was paying for everybody's internet connections, fair enough, force ads on people. Otherwise, get lost.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
If youtube was paying for everybody's internet connections, fair enough, force ads on people. Otherwise, get lost.
Out of (genuine) interest, why would you draw the line there and not include everybody's playback devices too?

Waxx

Major Contributor
Spotify and co are hacked, but the access to those streams are kept of the mainstream internet to protect them and it's hard to get in those places where you can plug in (and it's also not free, hacking is also a bussines for many). I don't support it (hacking nor streaming like Spotify do) as artists loose money on it while others earning, .so i won't give any real info. But every big streaming service (audio or video) gets hacked, and it's not even that diificult to do if you got some experience.

It's just that hackers learned from the past crackdowns and are less eager to give away to much info that those companies can use to prosecute them or close the hacks.

tw99

After reading some of the posts here I've tried Brave browser. No ads anywhere.
With the adblock plus on safari you tube doesn't work.
Similarly here, it seems like a very simple solution. I've put it on my Media PC and use it just for Youtube. No ads, pauses or any warnings, even when logged into my normal Google account.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
That's what these businesses seem to forget. I pay for the data and connection, not them. I decide what I want to watch and how my connection is used, not them.

And of course they take zero responsibility for malvertising or fraudulent ads delivered through their network.

DLS79

Forum Donor
Out of (genuine) interest, why would you draw the line there and not include everybody's playback devices too?

I see the entire line of though as fundamentally flawed!

The Only thing that ever been free about the internet, is that a user doesn't have to pay a fee for the privilege of accessing it. The user have to pay for their hardware and connection to it.

The content a user consumes is almost always paid for in one of the following ways.
  • the user pays for a subscription
  • the users pays indirectly, by viewing ads, or having their data used to help target ads
  • The creator/provider gives it away free because they receive donations/grants, etc
  • The creator/provider gives it away free in the hope that it will entice you to pay from some other service they provide.
  • The creator/provider gives it away for free because they want to (usually blogs and what not)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I see the entire line of though as fundamentally flawed!

The Only thing that ever been free about the internet, is that a user doesn't have to pay a fee for the privilege of accessing it. The user have to pay for their hardware and connection to it.

The content a user consumes is almost always paid for in one of the following ways.
  • the user pays for a subscription
  • the users pays indirectly, by viewing ads, or having their data used to help target ads
  • The creator/provider gives it away free because they receive donations/grants, etc
  • The creator/provider gives it away free in the hope that it will entice you to pay from some other service they provide.
  • The creator/provider gives it away for free because they want to (usually blogs and what not)
Amir gives away a lot more than a blog. His forum, his testing etc etc. I guess that is because Amir is Awesome!

DLS79

Forum Donor
Amir gives away a lot more than a blog. His forum, his testing etc etc. I guess that is because Amir is Awesome!

He does a lot, but people seem to forget about this.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
He does a lot, but people seem to forget about this.
Totally voluntary. I contribute because his testing and this website is of value to me. Plus that didn't happen until the forum was very well established.

DLS79

Forum Donor
Totally voluntary. I contribute because his testing and this website is of value to me. Plus that didn't happen until the forum was very well established.

I know its completely voluntary, but I suspect if donations took a massive down turn this site could go away. Just keeping a forum going with the amount of traffic this site sees, is not trivial.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Google is relentless.

That's the other key weapon. In the future, YouTube will be able to roll out new ad blocking updates whenever it wants, and the ad blockers' response can be slow-rolled by the Chrome Web Store.

My thoughts:
Google is forcing users to switch from Google Chrome, more and more.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
By the way, ublock origin 1.54 got unveiled/released by uBlock last week. All browser extensions have approved it on their own stores within days… except Google.

Surprise!

This is the update we’ve been waiting for. Quicker differential updates, change from 2hr to 1hr updates and so on.

update:
ublock launched v1.54.0 it on Nov 22, and Chrome approved it on Dec 4...that's 12 days!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom