• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Youtube is running ads against my channel :(

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've disabled pihole, then opened an incognito Chrome window (with no ad blockers), and haven't seen a single advertisement on your channel (either in the form of video ads at the start of the video, or a banner text ad overlaid on top of the video, or when skipping to different timelines in the video that trigger video ads). I tested about 10 random videos from the channel.

Just to confirm that it wasn't a fluke, I looked at other youtube channels, and I got flooded with ads.
Then, I repeated the experiment with an incognito Firefox, and same thing...no ads for your channel, but ads for all other channels.
Then, I repeated the experiment with an incognito Edge, and same thing...no ads for your channel, but ads for all other channels.
Then, I repeated the experiment with my iPhone, I simply enabled incognito mode for Youtube app, and same thing...no ads for your channel, but ads for all other channels.

So...everything looks normal.
For now
In my experience, the higher the views the greater the chance they attach ads.
Amirs channel is still new. Just wait

threni

Major Contributor
they need to make money somehow and youtube overall is losing them money

Oh boy! Google paid less than $2 billion for YouTube, and it now makes them about 10% of their profit ($15 billion in a year). The more in-your-face ads they've started running will push some people to the paid YouTube Premium service which is ad-free. They know what they're doing!

spartaman64

Oh boy! Google paid less than $2 billion for YouTube, and it now makes them about 10% of their profit ($15 billion in a year). The more in-your-face ads they've started running will push some people to the paid YouTube Premium service which is ad-free. They know what they're doing!
im pretty sure they only released revenue not profit. storing 720,000 hours of video per year with local caching and then streaming one billion hours of video a day isnt cheap.

Tks

Major Contributor
idk theres plenty of things to criticize google for but im not sure this is one of them. they need to make money somehow and youtube overall is losing them money

Yeah, suddenly it's a problem -- if that's the case, they should do what they've always done in that case. Simply cancel the service like the countless others they have no qualms in dumping at a moments notice.

It doesn't make sense that after all these years, now would be the time to enact measures like this. It's ridiculous.

spartaman64

Yeah, suddenly it's a problem -- if that's the case, they should do what they've always done in that case. Simply cancel the service like the countless others they have no qualms in dumping at a moments notice.

It doesn't make sense that after all these years, now would be the time to enact measures like this. It's ridiculous.
youtube isnt meant as a way to generate profit. its there to increase mindshare for google but i guess in recent years they've become more concerned with profitability or at least try to break even as google mindshare is already really good

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What's really clear from the comments on profitability and questioning policies that clearly increase either share of mind, revenue, views or some other corporate goal is no one questioning has ever run a for-profit company. Geesh folks they (along with virtually every other company selling gear every member is mentioning) are in the business to make money to increase value for their owners and/or shareholders not meet ASR members budgets. Run a business and it will all become very clear.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I watch through chrome on my tablet and never see any ads.

Aventador_SVJ

Then my advice is to announce this prominently so nobody gets the idea that ASR videos might be biased by companies buying ads.

My thoughts are that well educated individuals (suspect much of audio science reviews target audience) would take Amirm for what he actually is - a person who is simply trying to bring objectivity into the world of audio.

....and we (the target audience) are grateful for all that Amirm is, what he gives us and the money we save (i.e. only buying hifi equipment that scores well objectively, based on scientific measurement).

I for one, am extremely grateful and have discovered MiniDSP, Revel, Purifi and to a slightly lesser extent AKG (more confirmation) from this site and this has improved my audio/music experience :)

Last edited:

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was browsing my youtube channel tonight and was surprised to see Youtube running ads against my videos even though I had not enabled monetization. I searched and I see that they changed their policy last year and will run ads against your content whether you like it or not. And of course they keep all the revenue.

At some level this is fine since they are providing a service for free. What I don't like is that I have no control over it, nor did I see any notification, stats, etc. In the page for monetization it clearly says I have not yet set up for such. Yet here we are.

Not wanting them to pocket all the money, I went ahead and applied for the program. Wish I could leave it unmonetized but there seems to be no way to do that. Sorry about that you all. Of course feel free to use ad-blockers.
You could simply preface your videos with an unacceptable opinion, and YouTube would demonetize you immediately. You don’t need to believe it, just enunciate it.

elberoth

Nothing wrong with ads IMO. They support the channel.

hollywoodNINE

I don't think you need to state that the ads run by youtube aren't connected to you. that goes without saying. the ads I get served have nothing to do wtih the content I'm watching usually. sometimes I get ads in foreign languages.

threni

Major Contributor
I don't think you need to state that the ads run by youtube aren't connected to you. that goes without saying. the ads I get served have nothing to do wtih the content I'm watching usually. sometimes I get ads in foreign languages.

Typically the ads are connected to the viewer's interests/browsing history, not the content creator's. Sometimes people don't realise this and the results can be both amusing and embarassing: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gavin-barwell-conservative-mp-blunder-1772319

I'm another one of those "ruining the free internet for everyone" people as I use both pi-hole and uBlock Origin everywhere (well, except Chrome for Android, which doesn't allow plugins, hence pi-hole), so I don't see a lot of ads. I've also configured my browser to delete all cookies upon exit except for a small whitelist of sites (such as ASR) where being logged out all the time is annoying.

simbloke

Forum Donor
I find Firefox (yes somene still uses it) containers very handy. As well as being useful for my work it allows me to force annoying shopping sites into their own container along with any tracking cookies they use/leave behind.

deafenears

Forum Donor
Could be worse, the ads could be selling ABYSS cables or their Diana headphones :D

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree, I don't see why people are expecting Amir to explain the internet to them at the start of each video. I say take the money, and let those of us who hate ads use whatever works to block them.

Top Bottom