• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

YouTube cracks down on ad blockers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
no idea if it's just me or if other agent switcher users are experiencing this kind of trouble with other Google sites....even if i have it set to the latest win/FF client, Gmail will bug me that my browser is out of date when logging out of one and into another acc...switching to linux/FF (same FF version) helps tho....

it almost as if they're starting to mess with users on all fronts lately

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
He does a lot, but people seem to forget about this.
I need to do this!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Google is forcing users to switch from Google Chrome, more and more.
That's what I did. But actually it wasn't because of Youtube (which I can happily live without, come push to shove) -- it was because of this:

Mind you, Alphabet can do whatever it wants -- it's up to the end-users to decide what they'll accept vs. their perceived gain in using any s/w product or "app". If Alphabet (or Meta or X ;) ) go(es) too far, they'll be rewarded in the good ol' capitalist way, and a lesson will be learned.

How's Meta's VR environment doing lately?

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is it just me or did Youtube finally catch up with uBlock Origin as well?

What's everyone using these days to stop ads?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it just me or did Youtube finally catch up with uBlock Origin as well?

What's everyone using these days to stop ads?
Ublock is still working for me on Firefox as are Brave, and Vivaldi. Give it an hour and try again.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
i thought so at first, too
but no, it didn't...just purge out Ublock's caches first, then update them:

1701897493737.png

1701897538087.png

and it seems i was right, Alphabet seems to be pushing ads all across their portfolio, even where they didn'+t before (first time i saw a few on my android phone in google's news feed, masked as news)

Waxx

Major Contributor
i thought so at first, too
but no, it didn't...just purge out Ublock's caches first, then update them:

View attachment 332104
View attachment 332105

and it seems i was right, Alphabet seems to be pushing ads all across their portfolio, even where they didn'+t before (first time i saw a few on my android phone in google's news feed, masked as news)
And they will get in trouble with that again with the EU, where there is a basic law that says that advertisments never may be presented as "news", with billions in fines as result... It happened before, also with Meta, Microsoft and Bytedance (Tiktok).

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's what I did. But actually it wasn't because of Youtube (which I can happily live without, come push to shove) -- it was because of this:

Mind you, Alphabet can do whatever it wants -- it's up to the end-users to decide what they'll accept vs. their perceived gain in using any s/w product or "app". If Alphabet (or Meta or X ;) ) go(es) too far, they'll be rewarded in the good ol' capitalist way, and a lesson will be learned.

How's Meta's VR environment doing lately?
The same day I read that thread the latest version of U Block stopped working with You Tube on Chrome. That made it an easy decision for me: switched over to Brave which I use when I'm on a forum like this one, and use the Tor window when I want strict anonymity. No ads, and hopefully less spam.

It really got my goat when You Tube videos were interrupted in the middle with these ads, followed by a message I could go "ad free" if I started paying for You Tube. It seems like they're using these ads as a club to try to drive everyone into their subscription business model. Somehow You Tube was a paying financial proposition before they initiated this crackdown, so I have no qualms whatsoever about finding any way possible to go around their ads. Especially given their heavy-handed tactics.

Joramun

Only my kids see ads because they use the smart TV youtube app. I'm allergic to this toxicity. It's a waste of my time. No advertisement has ever sold me anything.
I despise the ones who just pay and says that "Google also needs to make money". So far none here has taken that approach but they will get blocked.. LOL ;)
If you're using a Fire TV Stick or Chromecast use the Smartube app.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
...It really got my goat when You Tube videos were interrupted in the middle with these ads, followed by a message I could go "ad free" if I started paying for You Tube. It seems like they're using these ads as a club to try to drive everyone into their subscription business model...
It's gonna get worse, I fear. Before the end of the decade, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised that one's personal automobile (if one is so equipped) will carefully pull itself over to the side of the road, stop, and intone in a friendly but serious voice that the option to continue with significantly decreased performance without upgrading to the 12-month deluxe performance platform may be opted into, but it is not recommended. The vehicle will then wait, patiently, for payment credentials to be entered via the main infotainment screen.

One will likely be on the Zakim Bridge in Boston in rush hour on the Thursday before a long holiday weekend when this happens. The automobile's manufacturer (a subsidary of Alphabet) will say that the timing and location were strictly random and do not represent unfair advantage taken by a monopoly.

;):oops:

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The same day I read that thread the latest version of U Block stopped working with You Tube on Chrome.
There may be a simple cache clearing fix for this. It worked for me. Check the other thread.

D

Deleted member 48726

If you're using a Fire TV Stick or Chromecast use the Smartube app.

Thanks. But I haven't looked into that yet because they just use the built in app for ease of use with the remote.

kysa

Actually there are various platform delivering hi/res flac in streaming: Tidal HiFi, Amazon Music HD, Deezer Premium, Qobuz, Spotify premium can go up to 320kbps.
It’s a fact: hackers can break into HBO, Disney+, Sky, etc with no problems, I dont believe that music platform have better protections than video streaming companies
Spotify and co are hacked, but the access to those streams are kept of the mainstream internet to protect them and it's hard to get in those places where you can plug in (and it's also not free, hacking is also a bussines for many). I don't support it (hacking nor streaming like Spotify do) as artists loose money on it while others earning, .so i won't give any real info. But every big streaming service (audio or video) gets hacked, and it's not even that diificult to do if you got some experience.

It's just that hackers learned from the past crackdowns and are less eager to give away to much info that those companies can use to prosecute them or close the hacks.

Both of you misunderstanding the technical details of the piracy is the most hilarious part of this conversation.
Why do hackers deal with IPTV and broadcast/on demand TV and not with music platforms or even youtube?
They're not hackers, but pirates. And the answer is simple: They do both. I have no idea what makes you believe that pirates don't do both at the same time. They're interested in IPTV piracy because it actually makes them money. Pirated IPTV offers the benefit of not having to rely on releasers actually releasing the content you're interested in, and it eases your ratio coefficient on private trackers. People would rather pay $10/mo (a real price) to get IPTV streaming straight to their Plex/Jellyfin/Android TV then waste seedbox/homeserver resources on racing.

recycle

Both of you misunderstanding the technical details of the piracy is the most hilarious part of this conversation.

They're not hackers, but pirates. And the answer is simple: They do both. I have no idea what makes you believe that pirates don't do both at the same time. They're interested in IPTV piracy because it actually makes them money. Pirated IPTV offers the benefit of not having to rely on releasers actually releasing the content you're interested in, and it eases your ratio coefficient on private trackers. People would rather pay $10/mo (a real price) to get IPTV streaming straight to their Plex/Jellyfin/Android TV then waste seedbox/homeserver resources on racing.
Seems that you know a lot on the topic, you mean that there is a way to have a Tidal Hifi loseless account for free?

kysa

Seems that you know a lot on the topic, you mean that there is a way to have a Tidal Hifi loseless account for free?
Some people rely on trials and migrate their library when their time expires, so yeah, you can get a paid tier account for free.

recycle

Some people rely on trials and migrate their library when their time expires, so yeah, you can get a paid tier account for free.
Is this supposed to be the pirated version of Tidal? So, every month I have to sign up with a new credit card to continue using it for free: should I have 12 cards a year?
Hehehehe, this option is very funny, but it doesn't seem like a great solution. I guess you claim to know more about piracy than you really do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom