• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What Hi-Fi? 2023 Awards are... 72% British.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
gifs-do-leonardo-dicaprio-4.gif

Sorry, folks, but I just wanted to beat a dead horse. What Hi-Fi 2023 Awards have just been revealed today... Not that we should care much here at ASR, but let's have a bit of fun.... :p

Some might say it is common knowledge that this magazine essentially rewards and praises products from UK companies. But is it a legitimate statement in reality ? Oh yes, it is !

If I only count categories directly related to Hi-Fi (and do not consider categories where UK has no manufacturer, such as tablets or TV), I got something like this :

Stereo Amplifiers : 4 amps out of ten 5 are from a British company.

Standmount Speakers : 7 out of 9 are from UK.

Floorstanding Speakers : A whooping 4 out of 4 !

Speaker Package : 4 out of 5. Fair, I guess...

Streamers : 3 out of 4 are from a British company.

CD Players : 2 out of 3...

Full System : Wow ! Only 3 out of 7 are British !

DACs: 3 sur 4 are from UK... (Yes, sure. China probably isn't a thing in DAC market...)

Turntables : 4 out of 6...

Accessories : 8 out of 11. Great.

You get the picture. I'm going to do the maths for you: Out of the 58 products above, 42 are from a British company. Which makes a total of 72.4% of products that received a 2023 Award. Plaudits !

palmas-batendo-clap.gif

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
What kind of percentage of Stereophile’s recommended components are US manufactured?
Keith

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How many of these companies manufacture in GB? KEF's high end stuff? Maybe Rega?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
[If I only count categories directly related to Hi-Fi (and do not consider categories where UK has no manufacturer, such as tablets or TV), I got something like this :

This is where you have introduced sample bias. If a product category has a UK manufacturer, the manufacturer is likely survived to have survived natural selection of the economy so it’s likely to be a reasonably good product from metrics that range from audio performance to aesthetics or ergonomics.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
gifs-do-leonardo-dicaprio-4.gif

Sorry, folks, but I just wanted to beat a dead horse. What Hi-Fi 2023 Awards have just been revealed today... Not that we should care much here at ASR, but let's have a bit of fun.... :p

Some might say it is common knowledge that this magazine essentially rewards and praises products from UK companies. But is it a legitimate statement in reality ? Oh yes, it is !

If I only count categories directly related to Hi-Fi (and do not consider categories where UK has no manufacturer, such as tablets or TV), I got something like this :

Stereo Amplifiers : 4 amps out of ten 5 are from a British company.
whathifi.com/awards/best-stereo-amplifiers-2023

Standmount Speakers : 7 out of 9 are from UK.
whathifi.com/awards/best-standmount-speakers-2023

Floorstanding Speakers : A whooping 4 out of 4 !
whathifi.com/awards/best-floorstanding-speakers-2023

Speaker Package : 4 out of 5. Fair, I guess...
whathifi.com/awards/best-speaker-packages-2023

Streamers : 3 out of 4 are from a British company.
whathifi.com/awards/best-music-streamers-2023

CD Players : 2 out of 3...
whathifi.com/awards/best-cd-players-2023

Full System : Wow ! Only 3 out of 7 are British !
whathifi.com/awards/best-systems-2023

DACs: 3 sur 4 are from UK... (Yes, sure. China probably isn't a thing in DAC market...)
whathifi.com/awards/best-dacs-2023

Turntables : 4 out of 6...
whathifi.com/awards/best-turntables-2023

Accessories : 8 out of 11. Great.
whathifi.com/awards/best-accessories-2023

You get the picture. I'm going to do the maths for you: Out of the 58 products above, 42 are from a British company. Which makes a total of 72.4% of products that received a 2023 Award. Plaudits !

palmas-batendo-clap.gif

What's with all the dodgy dealabs.digidip.net links? Are you trying to moneytise us?

1697053314175.png

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not going to bother to check, but I doubt it's much different.
It is kind of different :
More "international", it seems. At least for the last two years... Also, way less products that get a reward.

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Traditionally, Stereophile has focused on USA made stuff. Audio Research, Vandersteen, Wilson, McIntosh, Rockport, Manley, PS Audio, Pass, Lamm, Thiel, Magico. Probably more EU stuff in the mix and some expensive Japanese stuff as well.

German hifi always seems like the odd one out to me. Acapella, Thorens, Avante Garde, Burmester? Who am I missing? ME Geithaine?

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the problem with American equipment in the UK is cost of importing it means it's not competitive. Same going the other way.
There are tons of Audio manufacturers from Europe, Asia, Canada that have a good distribution in UK and could have been promoted either way.

No point a UK magazine giving awards to kit the reader can't buy
Well, you speak like readers are mostly British. But they are not. What Hi-Fi? is virtually the most popular Audio magazine in the world. There is no doubt the website is the most visited one regarding Hi-Fi reviews, and "only" 22 to 30% of the traffic is coming from UK.
;)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom