• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What Hi-Fi? 2023 Awards are... 72% British.

delta76

Major Contributor
Isn't what-hifi UK based? or at least established there?
I'm shocked to learn that UK based manufacturers might sponsor, cough, give money, cough, to a UK based magazine, to get their products more glowing reviews, and awards

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that some kind of British humour too ?
Capture d’écran (1288).png

o_O

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I think they refer to it as "taking the piss".
They also have a sandwich called a 'bap' which contains french fries

simbloke

Forum Donor
We don't. In the right part of the country you could have a chip bap, but it doesn't contain french fries.
Elsewhere you could have a chip butty in something way more substantial than a mere bap!

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
We can't afford to import anything from elsewhere, taxes up the wazoo, so it follows that everything recommended is British. No patriotism involved, I assure you ;)
Hey! I paid all the dues on the Sierra LX's and regret not a dime!

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You are wrong. There’s zero import duty for American or Chinese stereo equipment imported to UK.

Check here or search gov.uk
You are saying that I was diddled by the customs and excise bill that I needed to pay, in order to get the speakers?

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Chips!

Actually 'bap' just refers to the bread roll, not the combination.

Chips on a bap (or any bread-related product) is a called a chip butty.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Chips!

Actually 'bap' just refers to the bread roll, not the combination.

Chips on a bap (or any bread-related product) is a called a chip butty.
Or a chip barm. Or cob. Or any other regional word for bread roll. Or bread cake :eek:

Joramun

I don't see an issue. It's a UK based magazine.

This post seems like it's trying to gather faux outrage over nothing.

Please stop doing this. This isn't Reddit.

Like west Mart68 said:
No point a UK magazine giving awards to kit the reader can't buy.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Traditionally, Stereophile has focused on USA made stuff. Audio Research, Vandersteen, Wilson, McIntosh, Rockport, Manley, PS Audio, Pass, Lamm, Thiel, Magico. Probably more EU stuff in the mix and some expensive Japanese stuff as well.

German hifi always seems like the odd one out to me. Acapella, Thorens, Avante Garde, Burmester? Who am I missing? ME Geithaine?
Never forget Gauder Akustik. They win a lot of top recommendations. Budget brand Nubert also wins many awards in Germany. Canton also must be mentioned.

Also Swiss stuff is very popular in Germany. Piega is great for example. Revox seems to be staging a comeback.

Reactions: 617

Keith_W

Major Contributor
For many years, What Hi-Fi has been pushing something called "UK Sound". I remember reading a review of the Pioneer A-400, they said that although it was a Japanese company, the product was engineered for "UK Sound".

So, what is "UK Sound"? I can accept that certain speaker designs are more suitable for the small rooms typical of homes in the UK. I can also accept that a certain target curve might be preferred by UK people. I haven't seen any proof of it, but it may be possible. After all, some British speakers were designed with the "BBC dip" - perhaps that is "UK Sound"?

In the end, I decided that "UK Sound" is a marketing gimmick promulgated by What Hi-Fi to increase sales of UK products.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For many years, What Hi-Fi has been pushing something called "UK Sound". I remember reading a review of the Pioneer A-400, they said that although it was a Japanese company, the product was engineered for "UK Sound".

So, what is "UK Sound"? I can accept that certain speaker designs are more suitable for the small rooms typical of homes in the UK. I can also accept that a certain target curve might be preferred by UK people. I haven't seen any proof of it, but it may be possible. After all, some British speakers were designed with the "BBC dip" - perhaps that is "UK Sound"?

In the end, I decided that "UK Sound" is a marketing gimmick promulgated by What Hi-Fi to increase sales of UK products.
I agree it probably had no foundation in reality.

I still have a Denon PMA250 'UK Special Edition' but how it differs from the version everyone else in the world got I've no idea.

At a guess they just changed a few capacitors for slightly more expensive ones.

Top Bottom