• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are all passive speakers officially "retro"?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Verge's coverage of the WiiM amp release came up in my feed. I was surprised to read that it has "vintage audio hi-fi chops" since it just came out and streams over wi-fi.

The $299 device serves as a receiver with a decidedly vintage focus, even more so than the WiiM Pro Plus that the company launched earlier this year, thanks to physical outputs that let you output directly to a set of old-school passive stereo speakers. ... the bring-your-own speakers crowd. That’s probably a very small chunk of the population, but there just aren’t that many wireless receivers like this that are so targeted...The WiiM Amp should appeal to anyone who wants a standalone, more straightforward way to get streaming audio to their old-school speakers than plugging a second-gen AirPort Express or one of WiiM’s other devices into an older receiver that might be on its last legs.

Wow, okay, ignoring the assumption that there are basically no other streaming amps, this guy believes passive speakers are obviously outmoded. What pimply-faced zoomer teenager do they have writing this stuff?

Uh, hmm, it's Wes Davis, the Verge's weekend editor. He mostly covers tech and his LinkedIn resume goes back to 2007, so he is most likely within shouting distance of 40 years old. He's clearly quite aware of gadgetry in general, but also thinks passive speakers are simply old.
1701138703863.png
1701138760443.png

Is he right?

If you base it on sales numbers, a casual answer is "no" based on random (but convincing) quotes about industry sales figures:

Jim Garrett, senior director, product strategy and planning, luxury audio business unit, lifestyle division, Harman, points out that two channel or stereo equipment sales are as strong as they’ve ever been, and that trend looks to continue for the foreseeable future. “We project strong growth for us in the hi-fi two-channel category in 2023. We will continue to deliver traditional products while we diversify into new offerings as well,” Garrett points out.

So how can an otherwise savvy guy come away with the impression that passives / separates are old-fashioned? Well, maybe he IS right. I'm 38 and out of everyone I know, I can name 2 or 3 people with any interest in separates.

It seems to me that the progression of the tech in separates/passives is proceeding as well as it ever did. But it's been discussed on this forum a lot, it's almost axiomatic that "audiophiles" are almost all old white guys. Whether or not you agree with Mr. Davis here, I can see where he gets it. The optics of the speaker separates category are those of something very "over".

This bugs me because 1) the less interest in the category, the less healthy it will be, and 2) it gives people the impression that good speakers aren't worth bothering with.

What do you think, is Wes Davis way off base, or simply echoing what is intuitive to the average reader of The Verge?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Because they are. Passive speakers are the oldest of schools when it comes to speakers.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It still depends on more than just that basic design type. Much audio is still "retro" I think.

Graham849

Forum Donor
It is increasingly difficult to purchase passive speakers in stores in Australia. A range of smart speakers, soundbars and Bluetooth boomboxes are all that is on offer. Costco has one amp/speaker combination. Amazon.au sells a few, but more Edifier amp plate speakers than passive.

Most people like a wire free world I guess.

JSmith

Master Contributor
"Retro" isn't to do with the type of device or product, it's when it was first released... so speakers that are more than 10 years old are basically retro.

Passive speakers in general are not "retro".

JSmith

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are a bunch of ASR members who believe the numbers are everything. Most active speakers have built in EQ which raises their preference score. So, the numbers are everything crowd think actives are better than passives. Never mind that any passive speaker can be EQ'ed to improve it's preference score. Except for a few select models, the chip amps in active speakers have mediocre specs and many have a problem with hiss. The bottom line is implementation is everything.

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Audio Video Receivers have speaker outputs for all channels except the sub. A standard home theater setup has 5 or more passive speakers and you have to run a speaker wire but you don't have to plug them all into power outlets.

Some higher-end AVRs also have preamp outputs so you can use separate amplifiers or active speakers.

OP
kemmler3D

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally I'd like to see an industry consortium start plying TikTok and YouTube influencers to get younger consumers into the 2-channel world. I mean, if Mr. Beast just put out a 2-channel vinyl setup I think the audiophile community would be set on course for the next 15 years.

moonlight rainbow dream

I think it is appropriate for the target audience of the Verge. If you prompt younger or even not-so-young tech-savvy people who are NOT hifi or HT enthusiasts with the term "audio"... wireless earbuds, portable bluetooth speakers, soundbars, etc. are likely what first come to mind.

tinnitus

I am "retro" audio guy.
How would you describe my speakers that have no crossover and no amplifier built in?
The crossover is implemented in the DSP and each speaker path is supplied by an amplifier channel.
Is this a totally passive speaker?

Adis

I am "retro" audio guy.
How would you describe my speakers that have no crossover and no amplifier built in?
The crossover is implemented in the DSP and each speaker path is supplied by an amplifier channel.
Yep. Totally passive. Until activated.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think he is half-right.

If I was starting over I would go active. On the other hand have listened to many active systems and - IMO - they aren't comprehensively better than what I have.

If they were I would probably start over.

Terminology:

My passive speakers are 20 odd years old. That is vintage not retro. Retro means it is new but looks like it is old.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But it's been discussed on this forum a lot, it's almost axiomatic that "audiophiles" are almost all old white guys.
Completely untrue. My audiophile friends are middle-aged white guys.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Retro or not, passives will be around for some years in higher end speakers.

III-V

I am "retro" audio guy.
A passive device (typically R, L ,C and ~diode or a combination of those) is one without any active component just as you have described it yourself.

It would appear that you have a 100% retro device

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am "retro" audio guy.
That's the classic definition of an active speaker, which I have, too.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Top Bottom