• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What Hi-Fi? 2023 Awards are... 72% British.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

NDRQ

WhatHifi is not a good quality magazine, everyone knows that.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Without the aid of Martin Colloms, American high fidelity had no chance.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I find What Hi-Fi to be the worst-of-the-worst, in the subjective rags.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
They have mastered the job of writing 10 sentence "reviews" on a ton of audio gear which then gets cataloged by search engines for just about anything you look for. That has hugely increased their online ranking as noted earlier. We will have to catch up to them before calling our job "done."

Digby

Major Contributor
We can't afford to import anything from elsewhere, taxes up the wazoo, so it follows that everything recommended is British. No patriotism involved, I assure you ;)

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
We can't afford to import anything from elsewhere, taxes up the wazoo, so it follows that everything recommended is British. No patriotism involved, I assure you ;)
Most of the recommended stuff is actually imported from SE Asia.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You are wrong. There’s zero import duty for American or Chinese stereo equipment imported to UK.

Check here or search gov.uk

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are wrong. There’s zero import duty for American or Chinese stereo equipment imported to UK.

The shipping costs are a killer. Duty was only ever about 3%

Plus State Sales Tax at its worst is less than half our 20% VAT

ChrisCables

Audio Company
I wonder how What-Hifi? chooses it’s winners. Seems like they give everything they review 5 stars.
I imagine the sale of brown paper envelopes increases around awards time.
;)

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
British companies? A significant number of those former British companies are now under foreign ownership and manufactured in overseas factories.
Sure. But would you consider Dynaudio as a Chinese company the same way ? Or the ones in Harman group as Corean ? I personally wouldn't. ;)
I meant a British company is "British" when headquarters are still based in UK, regardless of the place of manufacture or upper ownership.

Thanks for the input.

But, again... Is What Hi-Fi, considering the international audience, supposed to focus on the market for British consumers ? Why, then, are they showing product's MSRP in both £ & USD (even AUD sometimes) ?
1000019834.png
1000019833.png

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A Pox on ASR ... I used to look forward to these awards ... plan my fantasy system

Now, all that's just ruined... a veil has been lifted

:)

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Standmount Speakers : 7 out of 9 are from UK.
...And now they just drive the point home by mentioning only British speakers...
:facepalm:
This year’s floorstanding and standmount speaker Awards have proved to be an intriguing mix of the familiar and the odd surprise.
What's "intriguing" ? How the f**k there would be any "surprise" at all ?!? You are just discerning free "Awards" to your friends in the industry, who also are your direct customers for advertising purposes. Stop lying pretending it has been a thought competition, or I don't know what bullshit you've been used to tell for decades...

Last edited:

ivayvr

Until few years ago I would often get angry after reading something they made up.
It took me a while to figure that they don't deserve any feeling and much less any comments.
Participating in any "debate" with them just provide oxygen and publicity for them to survive.

Top Bottom