• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are the "Audio Science Review"s of other industries?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
DXOMARK is very measurements based too, especially big cameras sensors and lenses.

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ah, correction - I brainfarted. It's single-blind testing, not double-blind. Which IMO is sufficient for speaker testing but, others may disagree.

How we picked and tested

To meet every buyer’s needs, we test traditional passive speakers as well as active (powered) speakers.

We cover everything from under-$50 budget speakers up to audiophile-oriented models costing as much as $600 per pair.

We test speakers with expert listeners, and we conceal the identities of the models to eliminate bias.

In addition to our subjective panel testing, we measure each system to get an unbiased “second opinion” and to detect any anomalies.

Philbo King

For a variety of no-BS science topics, I can recommend Sabine Hossenfelder on youtube.
(She also does music videos lately, alongside her science channel)

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For photo, there are a few candidates, but with nuances

DpReview comes to mind
They do measurements, for sure
Their scoring is... contested.
But the main problem is that they are very much linked to business actors (Amazon pulled the plug recently, so I suppose they rely even more on other sponsors)

DxoMark was a subsidiary of Dxo.
Dxo is a French company that specialized in RAW photography development and lens correction.
They were quite unique for that initially, but now almost every camera has lens correction on board or in software. Photoshop also has it now. Nevertheless, Dxo software still pulls ahead in some area.
(By the way, the product pictures I post here are mostly processed through Dxo software, as are the photos I display -and ssle- in exhibitions.)

Dxo has developed its own target-based test protocol, which is used by Dpreview Chasseur d'images and others.
Their ratings are often contested (sounds familiar?), but their measurements base is second to none, and very useful when you know how to read it.
They also measure camera and smartphones.

Imatest is the other target based lens measurement tool. It's cheaper than Dxo and, therefore, more widely used.
(I own an Imatest license and measured a few lenses myself in the past)

EPhotozine and the likes use it and add measurements to their lens review.

There are 2 issues with target based measurements:

First, since the Camera has a major impact on the results, they can't be compared between camera models.
People most often forget (or just don't know) thzt and end up with plain false conclusions.

Second, the distance between camera and target is fixed by the lens angle of view and the target size.
While for tele it's not a big issue (if you have enough place in your room), for wide lenses, the measurement is done at distances very different than in real life.
For a 12mm lens on a full frame sensor, you'd need a (huge) 2m high target to be at 1m (1012mm) from the sensor. Not a very realistic use case.

At LensRentals, they rent lenses. A lot of lenses.
And they developed their own in-house optical bench based protocol to check returned lenses.
The optical bench is limited to fully open aperture, but results are independent of the camera. And at infinity distance.
Typically, they measure several samples -at least 10- of the same lens. That is therefore more statistically representative and they xan also get an idea of a lens results variability.

This is, however, a good complement to target based measurements
(To find a measurement, Google for "Lensrentals" "MTF" and the lens model you're interested in)

Sadly, they stopped publishing measurements, probably under pressure of Canon, their main commercial partner, for which they never published a measurement of any of their new RF lenses.
(NB: This is just my guess. I have no evidence of that.
The reason is easy to understand: while target based result will show better results, since modern camera include correction of the major lens flaws, the optical bench would show that in full light, which would be embarrassing for Canon, Nikon, Sony and the others.
But the reason could also be that it's too hard and not worth developing a mount for those new fully electronic lenses.)

Other interesting, science based, photo related sites of interest:
PhotonsToPhotos, to know all about camera sensor noise and dynamic range.

And, last but not least, Jim Kasson's blog "The Last Word".
Jim is a retired electrical engineer and engineering manager who worked at HP and IBM, an innovative photographer, and a very imaginative scientific explorer of camera and lenses technologies.
His blog also allows comments, which helps him tuning his protocols.

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
Once, by indication of someone here at ASR I found out about the Amir of battery chargers and a complete parallel world of rechargeable batteries forums, closely related to flashlight forums. I could not believe it.
I cannot find anymore that charger-amir website full of tests, graphs and incredible dedication, but believe me, it exists.

edit: I think it was this one:

Bonus: eneloop encyclopedia:

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Among the slicks, Car and Driver generally has the most in-depth reviews, although in the last ten years or so the magazine's quality (like all magazines) has deteriorated. Really, since Csaba Csere left the scene. Of course C/D is an 'enthusiast' site, and sometimes their comments are on the borderline of ridiculous--as when they criticize the latest family truckster mini-van for a lack of 'positive steering feel, cornering and acceleration'. But if you want to know how many golf balls the compartments will store, along with skid pad and timing, they'll give you that. And they usually don't seem to let manufacturers scare them into reporting what is not there. Just look at their critique of the Mk 8 GTI. From long time 10 Best winner, to nothing, all due to the poor user interface (all touch screen) which is insulting to drivers.

Although it's probably of limited interest to most (even most dedicated PC enthusiasts), I think Aris Mpitziopoulos' (usually multi-page) reviews are as in-depth as you'd want. For hobbyists, he is worth checking out, since really, in these days of over the top power draws, your machine's power supply is the first critical point for any build.

Below links to one of his reviews:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
CR is BS. I had a sub, they are no longer the objective testing house they used to be. Avoid them.
Their level of sophistication may not be the best but they still do independent testing without manufacturer supplied products or advertisements. I still think they do a great job for home appliances and cars. I think their audio reviews are poor.

Fridges
“thermocouples in a climate-controlled chamber and monitor it for more than a month, collecting more than 5.4 million temperature readings that identify warm and cold spots to determine which models will keep your food fresh longer. We also factor in survey data from thousands of CR members to judge brand reliability and satisfaction.

Air purifiers
Each model was placed in a sealed chamber, which was then injected with particles 0.1 micron to 1 micron in size—a range that includes dust mite allergens, cat allergens, smog, smoke, and atmospheric dust. (For reference, human hair has a diameter of about 100 microns). A particle counter measured the change in air-particle concentration as the machines ran for 15 minutes. As usual, we tested the units at their highest speed and again at a lower speed.

but yes, headphones are not useful
A panel of trained audio technicians assesses each pair by listening to the same set of high-quality music recordings

I did send them some feedback about using measurements to evaluate headphones.

OP
Svet Angelov

Svet Angelov

Among the slicks, Car and Driver generally has the most in-depth reviews, although in the last ten years or so the magazine's quality (like all magazines) has deteriorated. Really, since Csaba Csere left the scene. Of course C/D is an 'enthusiast' site, and sometimes their comments are on the borderline of ridiculous--as when they criticize the latest family truckster mini-van for a lack of 'positive steering feel, cornering and acceleration'. But if you want to know how many golf balls the compartments will store, along with skid pad and timing, they'll give you that. And they usually don't seem to let manufacturers scare them into reporting what is not there. Just look at their critique of the Mk 8 GTI. From long time 10 Best winner, to nothing, all due to the poor user interface (all touch screen) which is insulting to drivers.

Although it's probably of limited interest to most (even most dedicated PC enthusiasts), I think Aris Mpitziopoulos' (usually multi-page) reviews are as in-depth as you'd want. For hobbyists, he is worth checking out, since really, in these days of over the top power draws, your machine's power supply is the first critical point for any build.

Below links to one of his reviews:

That is such extensive work done by mr. Mpitziopoulos. He just got himself a new fan (and a power supply heеhеe)

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is such extensive work done by mr. Mpitziopoulos. He just got himself a new fan (and a power supply heеhеe)
Yeah. He should go into business with Amir, measuring and discussing stuff. However, one thing-- like Csaba Csere at C/D, just don't ask me to pronounce his name. It's all I can do to spell them pretty close. :)

Tom C

Major Contributor
These go really in-depth:

Power tools:
Torque Test Channel
Project Farm

Mobile devices, laptops, charging:
Chargerlab
notebookcheck
Geekerwan
The Phawx

Board repair:
iPad Rehab
NorthridgeFix

Circuit design:
Marco Reps

Multimeters, USB chargers, Power banks, Battery cells, Battery chargers:
lygte-info.dk

PC hardware:
Gamers Nexus
Actually Hardcore Overclocking

PC monitors, peripherals:
Monitors Unboxed
Optimum Tech

Video game graphics:
Digital Foundry

TVs:
HDTVTest

Wearables (with focus on biometrics):
The Quantified Scientist

Cleaning appliances:
Vacuum Wars

Bicycle tires:
bicyclerollingresistance

Bicycle engineering:
Hambini

3d printing:
247printing
CNC Kitchen

Cameras and camera lenses:
Christopher Frost
Huygens Optics
CineD
Philip Bloom
Tony & Chelsea Northrup
Gerald Undone

EVs:
Bjørn Nyland

PA:
Dave Rat

Automotive engineering:
driving 4 answers
Engineering Explained
KYLE.ENGINEERS
B Sport
Tyre Reviews

Small arms:
Forgotten Weapons

Locks:
LockPickingLawyer

and lastly, ASR alternatives:
L7Audiolab
Erin's Audio Corner
0DiBi
Archimago
GoldenSound
AREGINA
ReferenceAudioAnalyzer
This is gold! Thanks so much.
Got one for home theater projectors and screens?

Prana Ferox

I'm hesitant to trust Wirecutter or RTings very much. WC feels like a bog-standard advertorial site without much meaningful analysis, meant for brands to put 'recommended' tags on their models. RTings got their rep on TV panels but I've found the quality of reviews of other equipment to be lacking. In both cases they seem very suspicious on which brands and models get included and which are notably absent, which is a harder form of bias (or manufacturer influence) to spot.

Consumer Reports used to be good mainly because they were a rare resource for consumer reliability feedback through their surveys. You could also use them to gauge the general characteristics of a brand even if the product they reviewed was no longer current. Getting to the data required a paid subscription that at the time was reasonable. Everything about that model, from manufacturer consistency to product time on shelves (or car lots) to consumer data for reliability has changed to make their analysis largely useless.

I've not found any of the generalist review sites to be of much value. The trick usually is to find an individual willing to analyze fairly niche product without falling into the Binford Tools trap.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
In both cases they seem very suspicious on which brands and models get included and which are notably absent, which is a harder form of bias (or manufacturer influence) to spot.
Rtings users (free and paid) can upvote for upcoming reviews, and they will test the winner (for each technology category) each month. So your concern for Rting's credibility is unjustified.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
CR was never good with speakers/headphones, they just didn't know how to test them, and you can look up Floyd Toole's story about how he tried to get them to improve on that front. (They didn't)

Otherwise CR is fine.

Wirecutter is good all around as an alternative.

Last edited:

Prana Ferox

Rtings users (free and paid) can upvote for upcoming reviews, and they will test the winner (for each technology category) each month. So your concern for Rting's credibility is unjustified.
That doesn't mean much if it's just a prepopulated list and you're just telling them which to prioritize.

My most recent experience with Rtings was looking for office printers and every model I was interested had the downside of 'it doesn't have a scanner' which is a different class of device I wasn't looking for. The rest of the reviews were similarly generally un-useful and as a result so were the product rankings. I've bought other products highly reviewed on there which turned out to be crap for factors they didn't even look at, but would have been obvious to an enthusiast. At best when dealing with review sites like these which generate composite scores, you have to make sure your priorities line up with theirs.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
That doesn't mean much if it's just a prepopulated list and you're just telling them which to prioritize.
Wrong.
You can submit an item for review and it goes on the list immediately.
You can try it yourself, if you doubt their system.
Then, users will upvote for any item that's on the list.

Again, your concern for Rting's credibility is unjustified.

Top Bottom