• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are the "Audio Science Review"s of other industries?

Svet Angelov

Like for instance, a cosmetics forum where people tear down the different trials published in scientific papers that most people wouldn't know about.
Or some youtube channel that goes really deep into power tools and how they compare.

It is only logical that there are many more liars out there than just the audio equipment salesman (excl. used car salesmen but I think that's a given). And perhaps that there should be someone out there trying to expose them.

What do you read/watch?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Maybe Consumer Reports? It's not free but you can sign-up for one month and I think you can access all of the historical reviews reports.

I was never a subscriber/member but I used to see the magazine when it was in print. It was geared more more toward "average consumer" than to the enthusiast... If you were into cars you'd read car magazines and if you were into audio you'd read the audio magazines.

P.S.
Consumer Reports is still in-print. ...The magazine never seemed that practical to me because they may not have a current review of whatever you're interested in at the moment.

OP
Svet Angelov

Svet Angelov

Maybe Consumer Reports? It's not free but you can sign-up for one month and I think you can access all of the historical reviews reports.

I was never a subscriber/member but I used to see the magazine when it was in print. It was geared more more toward "average consumer" than to the enthusiast... If you were into cars you'd read car magazines and if you were into audio you'd read the audio magazines.

P.S.
Consumer Reports is still in-print. ...The magazine never seemed that practical to me because they may not have a current review of whatever you're interested in at the moment.
That's almost what I'm talking about, and I say almost exactly because of the last thing you mentioned - it is very broad and perhaps too technical for most people. Still.. maybe worth a trial membership! Thanks

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

P.S.
It's practical for me (and many other's who are not early adopters of anything in particular). Something new comes out & I either regard it as "that would be cool to have" OR "why would any one want one of those". If it is the former, I'll check into it, after a year is up. If it's the later, I may take a look at it again (or maybe not).

Pe8er

Forum Donor
In the coffee industry, even though I'm a brand new disciple and some may chime in to correct me, I think James Hoffmann is that. He buys the products he reviews (with his own money or with funds from his supporters) and he's not shy to criticize those that don't make sense to him. Polar opposite of all the other YouTubers I have encountered, who clearly push products they were paid to review.

staticV3

Master Contributor
These go really in-depth:

Power tools:
Torque Test Channel
Project Farm

Mobile devices, laptops, charging:
Chargerlab
notebookcheck
Geekerwan
The Phawx

Board repair:
iPad Rehab
NorthridgeFix

Circuit design:
Marco Reps

Multimeters, USB chargers, Power banks, Battery cells, Battery chargers:
lygte-info.dk

PC hardware:
Gamers Nexus
Actually Hardcore Overclocking

PC monitors, peripherals:
Monitors Unboxed
Optimum Tech

Video game graphics:
Digital Foundry

TVs:
HDTVTest

Wearables (with focus on biometrics):
The Quantified Scientist

Cleaning appliances:
Vacuum Wars

Bicycle tires:
bicyclerollingresistance

Bicycle engineering:
Hambini

3d printing:
247printing
CNC Kitchen

Cameras and camera lenses:
Christopher Frost
Huygens Optics
CineD
Philip Bloom
Tony & Chelsea Northrup
Gerald Undone

EVs:
Bjørn Nyland

PA:
Dave Rat

Automotive engineering:
driving 4 answers
Engineering Explained
KYLE.ENGINEERS
B Sport
Tyre Reviews

Small arms:
Forgotten Weapons

Locks:
LockPickingLawyer

and lastly, ASR alternatives:
L7Audiolab
Erin's Audio Corner
0DiBi
Archimago
GoldenSound
AREGINA
ReferenceAudioAnalyzer

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As transition away from fossil fuels to more electricity based energy I like these two. I have followed renewable energy, clean tech and alternate energy since college. The first Energysage.com is more like Erin's Audio than ASR as they are a go between with qualified suppliers.
The second is more big picture,world wide, policy and unbiased news.

OP
Svet Angelov

Svet Angelov

These go really in-depth:

Power tools:
Torque Test Channel
Project Farm

Mobile devices, laptops, charging:
Chargerlab
notebookcheck
Geekerwan
The Phawx

Board repair:
iPad Rehab
NorthridgeFix

Circuit design:
Marco Reps

PC hardware:
Gamers Nexus
Actually Hardcore Overclocking

PC monitors, peripherals:
Monitors Unboxed
Optimum Tech

Video game graphics:
Digital Foundry

TVs:
HDTVTest

Wearables (with focus on biometrics):
The Quantified Scientist

Cleaning appliances:
Vacuum Wars

Bicycle tires:
bicyclerollingresistance

Bicycle engineering:
Hambini

3d printing:
247printing

Cameras and camera lenses:
Christopher Frost
Huygens Optics
CineD
Philip Bloom
Tony & Chelsea Northrup
Gerald Undone

EVs:
Bjørn Nyland

PA:
Dave Rat

Automotive engineering:
driving 4 answers
Engineering Explained
KYLE.ENGINEERS
B Sport
Tyre Reviews

Small arms:
Forgotten Weapons

Locks:
LockPickingLawyer
Now that's a list!

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning

P.S.
CR is BS. I had a sub, they are no longer the objective testing house they used to be. Avoid them.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
More than you ever wanted to know about shoe laces...

Ian's Shoelace Site

I use the Better Bow Shoelace Knot because it's secure, but also because it yields a nice symmetrical bow. I toyed with Ian's own knot for a few years, it is very quick to tie, but i'm not in that much of a hurry any more!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Not exactly the ASR of anything but Wirecutter (is it ridiculous to mention this? does everybody know of it?) is in most regards, a useful successor to Consumer Reports.

They don't review new products in isolation. They do product category roundups and refresh them occasionally.

There are some conflicts of interrest. Chiefly, they make money through affiliate links. They are also owned by the NYTimes which relies on advertising revenue. That said... I have always found their recommendations to be excellent.

Their audio coverage is pretty good as well. The subwoofer reviews are data-driven and done by Brent Butterworth. The speaker reviews are subjective but are double-blind single-blind and "In addition to our subjective panel testing, we measure each system to get an unbiased 'second opinion' and to detect any anomalies." While not something that will satisfy ASR readers I think they are grounded in reality and not fooled by snake oil. They do a good job for Average Joe.

Anyway, I've always had great success with their recommendations in general.

edit: clarified their audio testing procedure, added link

Last edited:

GaryH

Major Contributor

P.S.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is only logical that there are many more liars out there than just the audio equipment salesman

I'm not sure there is - at least not in the same way or to the same magnitude.

Audio industry is rife with sales of products that do absolutely nothing (cable risers, crystals, quantum dots, etc.) Plus a whole raft of other stuff that perform their core functions (fuses, cables, amps, dacs, streamers etc) but that are sold at vastly over priced levels - sometimes 1000's of times over priced - on the basis of delivering audible improvements compared to reasonably priced well engineered alternatives - that they cannot possibly deliver based on all the laws of physics.

I am not aware of any other industry (even cosmetics) that performs to this level of malignancy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom