• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 279 58.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 174 36.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 15 3.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

DSJR

Major Contributor
Regarding threaded holes for feet or spikes which may well have been a UK thing which started forty odd years ago? -

It was commonplace for makers to fit plinths of sorts to the bottom of the carcasses into which the spikes or feet were screwed - Here's a couple I've just pulled off the internet at random -

1714120304920.jpeg
1714120369949.jpeg

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Regarding threaded holes for feet or spikes which may well have been a UK thing which started forty odd years ago? -

It was commonplace for makers to fit plinths of sorts to the bottom of the carcasses into which the spikes or feet were screwed - Here's a couple I've just pulled off the internet at random -

View attachment 365942 View attachment 365943
It's a cheap and simple way of having adjustable feet. Nothing to complain about.

The issue in this thread is that the manufacturer claims the speaker performance would suffer without the feet installed (which it factually does not as the measurements show). Nowhere does the manufacturer state that feet need to be installed, not on his website nor in the manual (which also makes false claims about the recommended listening axis).

Now when someone measures the speaker without the feet installed he legally threatens the reviewer. On which planet does that make any sense?

YSC

Major Contributor
It's a cheap and simple way of having adjustable feet. Nothing to complain about.

The issue in this thread is that the manufacturer claims the speaker performance would suffer without the feet installed (which it factually does not as the measurements show). Nowhere does the manufacturer state that feet need to be installed, not on his website nor in the manual (which also makes false claims about the recommended listening axis).

Now when someone measures the speaker without the feet installed he legally threatens the reviewer. On which planet does that make any sense?
not only does this not making any sense, that supersonic blowhole claim is more counter intiutive....

musicforcities

I think something changed with him around this time. In the not too distant past he used to do worthwhile comparisons of products by feature-sets to really help amateurs find value in products. Then it became voodoo gear and weird shit.

I have heard many people talk about hearing differences in gear (including cables). As much as objective measurement is why I'm here, it has also become clear that "gear synergy" is a thing. Just seeing certain measurements of amps and speakers will tell you that two pieces of kit having the same type of issue (say, rising treble) won't help. If you were to swap in something that measures poorly but in the other direction, it could help the overall situation even if objectively it's a turd on its own.

I firmly believe a lot of people are hearing these differences but aren't educated enough to know why; or they are and don't care to admit it for the sake of views and manufacturer relationships.

The truth is that it's best to hear it all (IMO) so I stay subscribed. Also, he drops deal alerts.

I will admit that I have thought I “heard” differences between cables: but I recognize now that either a) my ears/mind was fooling me, or b) far more rarely, cable in question was poorly designed designed for it purpose—for example wildly high capacitance for its use which turned the cable into an unpredictable filter if used with certain equipment. Specifically, I have experienced that effect when using a weird geometry cable from turntable to phono preamp that with certain cartridge loading and preamps rolled off the highs. Pop a bluejeans or Amazon basics rca there instead as no problem. And I was convinced that the 18ft runs of Kimber 4PR speaker wire do something with certain combos of amps and speakers— they do have measurably lower impedance and much higher capacitance per foot than same gauge zip cord so it’s possible I guess.

But thanks to ASR, no more snake oil for me. I prefer science and reason. Even in the exceptional cases were maybe it’s possible that the cable is doing something audible, EQ is better managed by things designed to do it.

To eschew things like tone controls in the name of purity but treat cables as alchemical eq filters, is evidence of audiophile derangement. To entertain or give a platform for it on a YouTube channel promoting itself as seeking no b.s. low cost high quality audio, is I believe a real disservice to its watchers.

musicforcities

I started in audio at a time when "gear synergy" was definitely a thing. I AM SO GLAD THAT IT DOES NOT NEED TO BE AN ISSUE IN THIS DAY AND AGE THAT I CANNOT ADEQUATELY EXPRESS MY JOY!

It was like seeking to avoid potholes in a dark room while you're blindfolded; more failure than success. That's one of the major reasons that I continually harp on the advantage of tests and measurements; they've added light to the quest and removed the blindfold!

I can assure you, audio gear that is provably well-designed is a blessing! :)

Jim
I surmise that way back in the day, there was some technical basis for the premise of “gear synergy” or at least matching in terms of input - output impedance mismatch as a well as input sensitivity and output voltage levels, etc. those days are long gone of course…

Top Bottom