• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 282 59.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 174 36.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 15 3.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

AscendDF

Audio Company
But does it the same math as a klippel? So does it give anechoic data?

When combined with a turntable, Clio is a decent measurement device. I’d rate it on par with REW and just behind LMS and MLSSA.

Comparing CLIO with the Klippel NFS is like comparing an old black and white TV to modern day 4K televisions. There is absolutely no comparison with regard to accuracy or resolution.

I suspect Eric has yet to experience a measurement system that is capable of such accuracy and resolution. This could explain why he insists the measurements are wrong, because he is relying on outdated and much less accurate measurements.

xray

Correct me if I am wrong, but I get the impression that Tekton Design is mostly a one man band.
I can't imagine the side of his personality we see on this issue is that much different than what his employees see on a day to day basis. I suspect the employee turnover is high.

Last edited:

KinAdam

Jesus Christ…….he's built a cloaking device
i was wondering if they were at Axpona, and at the same time, how many Axpona attendees actually knows of this sh*tshow. Would have been interesting to say the least.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The cycling industry is also rife with subjective BS. Nobody wins the Tour de France because their bicycle is 'better' than all others, despite the claims of marketing departments. Just like properly designed audio amplifiers, bicycles built to a purpose are more alike than different.

An engineer named Hambini has a YouTube channel (and website, Instagram, etc. -- links at this YT site) where he reviews hyped and over-priced bicycle products and 'reams' them if they are poorly made or the claims are false. Hambini is essentially 'Bicycle Science Review.' He takes measurements and then analyzes products with diagrammatic explanations and, oh my, mathematical equations. Like Amir, the products are sent to him by consumers, sometimes he buys them, and some companies have him evaluate gear before market. Admittedly, his style is abrasive and outrageous, in contrast to Amir and Erin.

He gave a poor review to after-market 'rear derailleur pulleys' from a company called Absolute Black. These are the 2 little sprockets on the rear gear changer. High priced 'upgraded' versions are available from several companies, with unsubstantiated claims of less friction, improved shifting, and/or improved aerodynamics. The cycling industry equivalent to audiophile fuses, for example.

He recently received a 'cease and desist' order from Absolute Black's lawyers. But before they did that, they went to extreme measures to discredit him. They created a website, with his name, to attack him. They stalked him, on video, as he rode his bicycle from his home, to a cafe, and then to his place of regular employment (he has a 'day job', so to speak).

They attacked his engineering credentials. They also accused him of EU tax evasion, because he makes and sells custom 'bottom brackets' which are designed to fix poorly manufactured, but expensive, carbon fiber bicycle frames. (The cycling industry, in general, has issues with making a round and symmetrical hole for bottom brackets/cranksets in carbon fiber bicycles).

The cycling industry MAFIA stalks Hambini. At this point, ASR, Amir and Erin are lucky that this Tekton mess is still just a war of words. Keep up the good fight Amir.

Here is his ~12 minute video which describes the experience in more detail. If you go to YouTube to watch the video, you can see on the sidebar recommendations for videos by other YouTubers which address the general shoddiness of manufacturing and unsubstantiated claims in the cycling industry.

Yeah, it's rife across all industries these days as companies don't actually even pretend to value customers anymore and openly and blatantly try to extract every penny they can at any cost. What is needed is a higher level of transparency and companies should be required to either prove various claims or be at risk of heavy penalties for false information or misleading tactics. Can see a lot of companies ending up really struggling as consumers slowly cotton on to various things over time and gain distrust in various brands. Trouble is, like most things today everything is about the short term with no thinking of how it will impact the future.

rynberg

Forum Donor
Correct me if I am wrong, but I get the impression that Tekton Design is mostly a one man band.
I believe he claimed earlier to have 8 employees, but certainly Eric does all the design work.
I feel sorry for the Tekton employees, watching their CEO tank the company and their jobs.
I feel sorry for them economically if they lose their jobs, but it can be a real nightmare working for an owner with these behaviors and moving on would probably be better for their mental health.

Pink Floyd Fan

I apologize for my naive question, but I have only begun following ASR during the Eric Alexander pooch-screwing since February. My question: what is so difficult about Amir getting another set of supposedly "FANTASTIC" butt ugly Tekton speakers to test?? What is keeping the Double Impact, Moab, etc., from being put through the same rigid tests as the Mini Lore? Again, I don't know exactly how Amir obtains gear to test. Surely to God there are Tektons out there that Amir can obtain...right?? I guarantee if a crowndsourced campaign to buy a set were set up, the money would be raised in hours. Buy them, have them shipped, and viola...test away. Eric has no ability to block the sell of speakers, especially if Amir isn't the purchaser. I've seen page after page of members saying, "Test another model!". Well, it's time to piss or get off the pot. Just my two cents worth.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Welcome to ASR
@Pink Floyd Fan

Amir already answered this question:

I don't think it is a good use of our funds to buy and test a speaker from him. When I was saying I would review more Tekton speakers, I meant in general. That is, if someone has one to test. Not that we go and buy one for the sake of testing. There are plenty of other things we could buy and test that would be more useful.

Katzz

Not sure if this was posted before, but there is a review with a frequency response measurement from 2019 of the tekton lore, the person who made the review owned the speakers for 6 years and in the comments you can find some similarities on the positive and negative points of the speaker :
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/tekton-lore-floorstanders.7512/
Positive: Great dynamics and staging
Negative: Inaccurate sensitivity, harsh frequency response on axis, another user mentions he sold his pair "partially due to cabinet resonance that I think a lot of Tekton speakers suffer from"

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

JakeK

Forum Donor
This is a review, listening tests, equalization and detailed measurements of the Tekton (Mini) M-Lore speaker. It is on kind loan from a member and costs $US 750 a pair.
While this is not a great speaker, I had not previously noticed this review as I'm not currently looking for floorstanding speakers. The response from Tekton has now got my notice and I'm sure many more are now reading this review. This has been a huge waste of Amirs valuable time and energy he could have better spent reviewing better speakers or simply relaxing and looking after himself and his family. Amir you have my support in this. Not that I can do much to help other than keep supporting this site but you have that.

As a result I'm voting this speaker 'Poor' and making a mental note to never buy anything made by Tekton. Ever.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I apologize for my naive question, but I have only begun following ASR during the Eric Alexander pooch-screwing since February. My question: what is so difficult about Amir getting another set of supposedly "FANTASTIC" butt ugly Tekton speakers to test?? What is keeping the Double Impact, Moab, etc., from being put through the same rigid tests as the Mini Lore? Again, I don't know exactly how Amir obtains gear to test. Surely to God there are Tektons out there that Amir can obtain...right?? I guarantee if a crowndsourced campaign to buy a set were set up, the money would be raised in hours. Buy them, have them shipped, and viola...test away. Eric has no ability to block the sell of speakers, especially if Amir isn't the purchaser. I've seen page after page of members saying, "Test another model!". Well, it's time to piss or get off the pot. Just my two cents worth.

All it takes is a member owning a pair and being willing to ship them over to Amir for testing.

Rick “simple, really, except for the first part” Denney

Yevhen

Forum Donor
While this is not a great speaker, I had not previously noticed this review as I'm not currently looking for floorstanding speakers. The response from Tekton has now got my notice and I'm sure many more are now reading this review. This has been a huge waste of Amirs valuable time and energy he could have better spent reviewing better speakers or simply relaxing and looking after himself and his family. Amir you have my support in this. Not that I can do much to help other than keep supporting this site but you have that.

As a result I'm voting this speaker 'Poor' and making a mental note to never buy anything made by Tekton. Ever.
I hope he doesn't start suing people around for negative posts like yours or for listening to his speakers on the wrong axis :)

thegeton

Forum Donor
Box losses [4 leaking holes] are easy to predict and measure. Furthermore, once we get into the 5-10 watt range the air pressure jets in and out of them at speeds above Mach1 and they get audible. Hard to fathom a top-notch reviewer not discerning audible jet sounds coupled with Nora Jones and Diana Krall!

HAH HA Ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaa.....

:D

cavedriver

HAH HA Ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaa.....

:D
wow, he said that?? I guess I shouldn't surprised. Yes, it is easy to go supersonic when pushing air through pipes, which is probably the principal he's heard about, and yes it would be very loud if you had supersonic air coming out of the hole, but in a constrained space the transition happens at below the speed of sound in free space, so around 300 m/s vs Mach 1 at 340 m/s, while audio design guidelines online suggest 17 m/s for "ok" ports and 30 m/s for well flared ports before it becomes audible. Another reference suggests the pressure drop at the poorly shaped port (a cylinder with no flares) will not be able to even reach these velocities due to the pressure drop rising too quickly, although chuffing would still be heard. I haven't bothered to calculate the pressures in vented speaker boxes but it has to be well below the conditions in a pipe for supersonic flow because most speaker boxes would have exploded well before that. I should be careful that you might be able to make a box that "whistles" close to the speed of sound by making a very long port at a very small size, so perhaps Eric has encountered this. Again, more math but picture a soda straw a couple feet long with one end sticking out of an unvented subwoofer. Eric appears to be one of these people that find themselves to be allergic to doing basic engineering, or has found that he can impress uninformed people with technobabble, but that backfires when you try to impress someone that knows what they are talking about.

Last edited:
Top Bottom