• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Understanding Audio Measurements

I hope this is right thread to ask:
many bad measurements are caused by poor power supply or power supply related issues.

Does it matter if measured unit is 110V or 230V (or 110/230V switchable unit, 50/60Hz hum etc).

Thanks again

RayDunzl

Major Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Does it matter if measured unit is 110V or 230V (or 110/230V switchable unit, 50/60Hz hum etc).
50Hz hum at the output (at the same level) might be slightly less audible...

230V may radiate EMF more strongly than 120V affecting whatever gets affected (guessing a bit here), or even more weakly, as the current flow would be reduced vs 120V (all else being equal).

Does it matter, one over the other? Probably not.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Major Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Based on the above "answer", I have an EE question;

I have a wire energized with a sine wave voltage, and some current flow. Mabe later it is only energized, but no flow.

Is there one, or two fields around it... I'm thinking what I might call "electrostatic" induced by the voltage and the other "magnetic" induced by the current, or are they the same thing, or what?

Last edited:

dc655321

@RayDunzl
There are two orthogonal fields: a concentric magnetic field and a radial electric field.
Been a while since I thought about EM theory, so could very well be thinking wrong about this.

EDIT: no current (flow), no mag field.

Last edited:

DonH56

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Patreon Donor
^^^ You could be right! See Maxwell's equations (didn't everyone have to memorize them? And the periodic table...)

With voltage there is a electric field, which may be static or not. ESLs depend upon that voltage field. If there is current flow then there is a magnetic field at right angles to the current flow (see right-hand rule). The magnitudes depend upon the voltage, current flow, and distance from the conductor (wire). All basic EM problems seen in any undergrad course, i.e. something I knew something about in 1984 or so and have mercifully forgotten by now.

Top Bottom