• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer Comparison

tvih

Hmm... continuing on my earlier messages, I just noticed that the SVS PB-1000 non-pro would currently be on sale for 499€ here, down from 649€. It measures roughly the same as the Klipsch R-115SW while obviously being smaller and a bit nicer-looking. Looking at price history, the R-115SW has never been less than 599€ - in fact that was its normal price two years ago apparently, and it has been going up (now 679€ as previously mentioned). Not sure if they're clearing out the PB-1000 entirely - while it's not explicitly marked as such, seems that's what they're trying to do given the discount applies to their entire current stock. In that case it might be "now or never" as far as a discounted price goes, but currently it'd take a while to pay off which does raise the effective price slightly... dammit. (Comparatively the PB-1000 Pro is twice the price at 1049€ and I don't need the remote/EQ functionality it has anyway since the sub will be connected to a miniDSP 2x4 HD.)

Definitely something to ponder.

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
I would get another non-pro, but try to find it cheaper than that. Only if i couldn't fit a larger sub and just start all over. IIRC if you can put the sub wherever you want and only care about 1 seat you can get by with just 1 beefy sub.

Reactions: MCH

MCH

Major Contributor
I would get another non-pro, but try to find it cheaper than that. Only if i couldn't fit a larger sub and just start all over. IIRC if you can put the sub wherever you want and only care about 1 seat you can get by with just 1 beefy sub.
That's what i eventually did. Tomorrow I'll pick up the non pro for 450 eur. Difficult to get it cheaper over here. Even used 350-400 euros is the usual price. Let's see what it brings, besides symmetry :D

tvih

Finally tried measuring my current sub at a higher volume level. In-room and all that, so can't really compare to free-field, but one important observation is that it would seem the sub won't even go much over 80 dB at the 20-30 Hz range - I suppose it's either maxed out excursion, or simply amp out of steam. Like one measurement where 30 Hz was at 80 dB, and then increased +5 dB and +7 dB sweeps - after 30 Hz it indeed increased by that much, but below it was only 1-2 dB. +7dB really started to do ugly things in general, so neighbor disturbances aside best not push it. Also a massive 2nd harmonic spike at 30 Hz in general. Not sure if it's the driver, the enclosure or the room.

I suppose around 80-82 dB of (distorted) volume at 20-30 Hz would make sense for this sub, given it's an older 10" sealed budget model. So it definitely wouldn't compare favorably to a PB-1000, not much surprise there! Back to pondering...

Last edited:

guy soundy

What subs can anyone recommend me? My AVR can take up to 140 watt (8 ohm nominal impedancen) and my room size is 4 meter wide and 2,9 meter long, height is 2,4 meter

taisho

Forum Donor
My 12" monolith thx sounds great and integrates well, cut off at 40hz, speakers full band.
1 bass reflex port closed, 1 open.
price 799 € at monoprice
You mean 999€? Edit - they have a 799€ promo price again atm.
Monolith 10in Select is no longer available and replaced by v2 which is 800€ instead of 600€... Edit - 640€ sale atm.

Last edited:

jamesgordan

Just above you. Audioholics is quite respectable and their review would be more trustworthy than almost every single individual opinion here
I agree as I check Audioholics regularly but still I wanted to see if someone is actually using it.

Xaviedie

Hello everyone, which subwoofer would be best for the FOCAL ARIA 906 to listen to music?

Then movie?

Thank you very much.

PS: I am French and use google translate.

Last edited:

delta76

Major Contributor
Hello everyone, which subwoofer would be best for the FOCAL ARIA 906 to listen to music?

Then movie?

Thank you very much.

PS: I am French and use google translate.
a good sub is a good sub. if you want a safe bet, SVS SB1000/PB1000 is very good for its price

Ren

Does anyone have experience with the xtz Spirit Sub 12 which currently goes for ~350€ on their european Website.

delta76

Major Contributor
Spirit is their lower end sub. I would assume they are not great not terrible. A much safer bet would be their edge sub, which are reviewed great.

Sadly much more expensive

Annoyed82

Silly question:My current sub is from 2006 but the main specs are:
Frequency response 30–200 Hz
(at maximum crossover frequency)
Crossover frequency 50–200 Hz (variable)
Maximum output power 150 W Dynamic
20 cm woofer

Some of the new subs today seem to be the same or slightly less on some of these specs eg the Klipsch R-8SW which has a FREQUENCY RESPONSE 38Hz-120Hz +/-3dB
150W max dynamic output, same size woofer
Both are down firing

Is the Klispch a better performer simply because of the brand and/or because its newer even though the specs are no better?

delta76

Major Contributor
Klipsch is not known for their sub quality. they are affordable and that's it.
if you want to be safe, SVS SB/PB-1000. Depends on where you live, you might want to check out HSU (US), Bkelec (UK)

holbob

Bk Electronics are not in the same class for 20hz extension as monolith monoprice. Then again, neither are SVS. But BK are not close to SVS are 20hz either.

Top Bottom