• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Benchmark AHB2 Amp

PGAMiami

@PGAMiami Amazing speakers (I have listened to TAD R1 for several hours), which in my opinion also is the most beautiful looking speakers in the market, and of course superb AHB2 amplifiers (which also look amazing and have a very practical small size) :)
Thanks for all the complements regarding my system. I mentioned this previously in the thread, but given that several of us are TAD R1/CR1 fans, and implicitly Andrew Jones fans, I will write again that Andrew’s twin brother was a key designer of the AHB2. This, plus Amir’s extremely thorough testing process is what convinced me to make the switch and sell my much more expensive Constellation monos. I never looked back after setting up the AHB2s. By far this is the best amplifier I’ve had in my home.

Last edited:

jruser

What DACs have enough voltage (9.8V) to drive AHB2 to full power at low gain?

Are we only talking about the RME and Benchmark models?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

My Merging Hapi II does it handily.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Marantz AV10.

Sweet spot is 4V which probably is good relative to typical volume levels but it might be the highest single box solution with Dirac

1699061427473.jpeg

radix

Major Contributor

The McIntosh C48 (and likely others in that line) drive up to 16v balanced!

I have the Anthem STR, which only drives to 6.6V, so I use mid-gain.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Could you please post pictures of your three Blades! The sound stage must be phenomenal.
This was the temporary setup until we began tearing everything down for a major renovation. The Blades (and a lot of other stuff) will go into storage for the duration.

Attachments

• 3 Blades before.JPG
    3 Blades before.JPG
    333.1 KB · Views: 238

Descartes

Major Contributor
This was the temporary setup until we began tearing everything down for a major renovation. The Blades (and a lot of other stuff) will go into storage for the duration.
Superb thank you for sharing! What do you use for surround sound blades as well?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What subs are those ? JL E112s?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Superb thank you for sharing! What do you use for surround sound blades as well?
I had been using Revel F206s but will be getting something else when the dust clears. In the meantime, I am looking at 3 months without a system. :(
What subs are those ? JL E112s?
e110

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I had been using Revel F206s but will be getting something else when the dust clears. In the meantime, I am looking at 3 months without a system. :(
If ya want to escape the cold, come on down to the Sunshine State for a visit and surround fix.
Any time is good, or,

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

e110
Asking in the danger to derail this thread a little further, but wouldn't the design of the Blades maximize dispersion and cause more room reverb than any other speaker or am I thinking wrong? I come from a full array 4-way d'appolito which drastically eliminates vertical reverb, so it's hard to imagine for me how a speaker sounds that has basically the opposite design paradigm.

JP

Major Contributor
If Okto is still customizing output level their units can do it. I bought my DAC8 DSP second hand so I modified it to output +24dBu myself.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Asking in the danger to derail this thread a little further, but wouldn't the design of the Blades maximize dispersion and cause more room reverb than any other speaker or am I thinking wrong? I come from a full array 4-way d'appolito which drastically eliminates vertical reverb, so it's hard to imagine for me how a speaker sounds that has basically the opposite design paradigm.
The Blades measure supremely well, there might be a Klipple measurement somewhere perhaps on Kefs site/white paper.
Here in fact,

Keith

John_Siau

Technical Expert
Audio Company

The AHB2 has a 3-position input sensitivity switch. In low gain (switch down), it requires 22 dBu (9.75 Vrms) to reach full output power. In the middle position it requires 4 Vrms (14.2 dBu) to reach full output. In the top position it requires just 2 Vrms to reach full output.

The 22 dBu setting is intended for input from professional balanced outputs such as those found on all Benchmark products and on most high-end studio products.

The 4 Vrms setting is intended for input from most consumer balanced outputs. This setting will work for virtually all HiFi devices with balanced outputs. It should not be used with professional products that support outputs that are typically 10 dB hotter.

The 2 Vrms setting is intended for input from unbalanced RCA outputs (using Benchmark's RCA to XLR adapter cable). This setting will work with almost all RCA outputs.

The AHB2 has about the same noise performance in all settings. However, you will be hard pressed to find 4 Vrms or 2 Vrms outputs that can deliver a 132 to 135 dB SNR to match that of the AHB2.

boomtheroom

The AHB2 has a 3-position input sensitivity switch. In low gain (switch down), it requires 22 dBu (9.75 Vrms) to reach full output power. In the middle position it requires 4 Vrms (14.2 dBu) to reach full output. In the top position it requires just 2 Vrms to reach full output.

The 22 dBu setting is intended for input from professional balanced outputs such as those found on all Benchmark products and on most high-end studio products.

The 4 Vrms setting is intended for input from most consumer balanced outputs. This setting will work for virtually all HiFi devices with balanced outputs. It should not be used with professional products that support outputs that are typically 10 dB hotter.

The 2 Vrms setting is intended for input from unbalanced RCA outputs (using Benchmark's RCA to XLR adapter cable). This setting will work with almost all RCA outputs.

The AHB2 has about the same noise performance in all settings. However, you will be hard pressed to find 4 Vrms or 2 Vrms outputs that can deliver a 132 to 135 dB SNR to match that of the AHB2.
any full size preamps that do ? or come close?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Thank you John of your clarifying post!

any full size preamps that do ? or come close?
You mean drive the AHB2 on low gain? I have to ask why you want to do this.
It's not at all common practice in the HiFi world.
Why not mate it to a normal front end device at med or high gain?

Top Bottom