• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New S.M.S.L. M300 SE 120$

Emulator II

In my first post in this thread I reported that I don't hear any clicks or pops when changing the sample rate or turning the device on and off. This is still the case when I listen to music via Roon on a Raspberry Pi connected via USB. Also when there is no music playing, there is just silence.
If I do the same thing via an optical or coaxial connected WiiM Pro, I have exactly the strange noises while no music is playing as described in this thread. An old school CD player connected to the M300 SE via Toslink doesn't cause any noise. So it doesn't seem to be a general problem with the SPIDF input. Maybe it's the WiiM Pro (in conjunction with this DAC)?

PS: I'm still unable to hear the famous microclicks during complex music passages on my device ;-)

bogi

UA8890

In my first post in this thread I reported that I don't hear any clicks or pops when changing the sample rate or turning the device on and off. This is still the case when I listen to music via Roon on a Raspberry Pi connected via USB. Also when there is no music playing, there is just silence.
If I do the same thing via an optical or coaxial connected WiiM Pro, I have exactly the strange noises while no music is playing as described in this thread. An old school CD player connected to the M300 SE via Toslink doesn't cause any noise. So it doesn't seem to be a general problem with the SPIDF input. Maybe it's the WiiM Pro (in conjunction with this DAC)?

PS: I'm still unable to hear the famous microclicks during complex music passages on my device ;-)
Wiim pro has nothing to do with pops and noise. Completely disabled smsl m30se from everything. The source is disabled. I started switching the coaxial and optical inputs on the DAC. I measured the DC voltage at the RCA output with a multimeter. During the clicks, DC 3 volts appeared at the output. !!! Not mV, but volts! Each channel has a DAC. The same thing happened when the DAC was turned on. This shouldn't happen! This is independent of Wiim pro. I don't have this kind of tension or popping noise on other DACs. I wrote to SMSL. And these are not even microclicks. This is worse, it's banging on the acoustics.

UA8890

bogi

There is popping noise on both the optical input and the coaxial input. Nothing helps. The pops go on even without a source.
Does "without a source" mean disconnected cables or no audio content played? It's not clear for me how do you mean it.
Isolating the device from other possible noise or ground loop sources may help to answer if DAC is source of pops or if they are caused by some other source. To eliminate other possible sources of the issue, try this:
Disconnect any other input cable than optical.
Try a two pin power adapter without a ground pin. Or if you can try to power the DAC from +5V USB power bank to eliminate any noise coming through grounding. Don't use computer for powering your DAC.
Do you connect an amp or do you listen on directly connected headphones? Try to test on headphones to avoid ground loop or other influence between DAC and amp.

Last edited:

UA8890

Does "without a source" mean disconnected cables or no audio content played? It's not clear for me how do you mean it.
Isolating the device from other possible noise or ground loop sources may help to answer if DAC is source of pops or if they are caused by some other source. To eliminate other possible sources of the issue, try this:
Disconnect any other input cable than optical.
Try a two pin power adapter without a ground pin. Or if you can try to power the DAC from +5V USB power bank to eliminate any noise coming through grounding. Don't use computer for powering your DAC.
Do you connect an amp or do you listen on directly connected headphones? Try to test on headphones to avoid ground loop or other influence between DAC and amp.
Thanks for helping me. I disconnected the DAC from all signal sources, from sound sources. Disconnected from Wiim pro. Disconnected from the computer. Just a naked DAC. Only the DAC itself without anything. DAC power only. I supplied 5 volts to the DAC. First from a switching power supply. Then I tried to apply from a power bank. I connected a multimeter to the RCA outputs. When the DAC was turned on, when switching inputs on the DAC, the multimeter showed DC voltage surges at the RCA outputs. on one channel 3 volts, on the other channel 3.3 volts. If you connect acoustics through an amplifier, these bursts produce pops in the speakers. 2 claps. Almost simultaneously. These pops and DC bursts are always going on. Regardless of whether there is a source of signal, sound, or no signal. But I'll try the headphones tomorrow.The DAC is definitely the source of the pops. Without a doubt.I tried everything you wrote. Except for the headphone test.I think I got a bad deal! Defective item.

Last edited:

bogi

The DAC is definitely the source of the pops. Without a doubt.I tried everything you wrote. Except for the headphone test.I think I got a bad deal! Defective item.
Return it ...
If you measured 3V on RCA without amp connected, you don't need to test with headphones. Don't risk their damage.

Mascarade130

Hi Everyone. New to HiFi here.
I bought this little DAC mainly to connect to a CD player (which I haven't picked yet...).
The issue I have is that I can't make it work with my Iphone, using a lightning to USB-C cable, pluged into the USB source. The phone isn't enough to power up the M300SE so I use a power source but the music only comes from the Iphone speakers. Seems it just doesn't recognise the phone.
I tried the DAC onto a PC using USB and it works just fine (however Apple Music only comes out at 48Hz whatever the file). Also I don't want to use BT.
Any tip on what I might be doing wrong ? Thanks !

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi Everyone. New to HiFi here.
I bought this little DAC mainly to connect to a CD player (which I haven't picked yet...).
The issue I have is that I can't make it work with my Iphone, using a lightning to USB-C cable, pluged into the USB source. The phone isn't enough to power up the M300SE so I use a power source but the music only comes from the Iphone speakers. Seems it just doesn't recognise the phone.
I tried the DAC onto a PC using USB and it works just fine (however Apple Music only comes out at 48Hz whatever the file). Also I don't want to use BT.
Any tip on what I might be doing wrong ? Thanks !
Try one of these special "OTG" cables or adapters:
https://www.amazon.com/Oxygen-free-Adaptor-Amplifier-qudelix-Shanling/dp/B09KLXYQDH

srkis

Got mine today. The its only source is a notebook/Foobar2000. Goes via RCA into vintage Marantz 1122DC integrated. Listen mainly rock music. No issues so far. A DSD128 copy of Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (vinyl rip) sounded marvelously analog. The same applies to Aerosmith - Get a Grip 24/192 FLAC. Very satisfied with spent $110.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Got mine today. The its only source is a notebook/Foobar2000. Goes via RCA into vintage Marantz 1122DC integrated. Listen mainly rock music. No issues so far. A DSD128 copy of Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (vinyl rip) sounded marvelously analog. The same applies to Aerosmith - Get a Grip 24/192 FLAC. Very satisfied with spent $110.
Nice to read you are happy.

There is no reason this DAC does not sound like other well measured DACs

Mascarade130

srkis

I've ordered XLR to RCA interconnects to hook the M300SE to the amp. Can I use its RCA output to hook an active sub as well? The amp doesn't have sub or pre out and am not particularly keen on wasting second speakers output for a sub.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
I've ordered XLR to RCA interconnects to hook the M300SE to the amp. Can I use its RCA output to hook an active sub as well? The amp doesn't have sub or pre out.
It would be wiser to use RCA splitters to hook up both the amp and sub to the M300 SE's RCA output.
611v4Vu1fsL.jpg

A balanced line out should only be used with balanced line inputs.

UA8890

Return it ...
If you measured 3V on RCA without amp connected, you don't need to test with headphones. Don't risk their damage.
I took a chance and plugged in my headphones. There are no pops in the headphones. Pops are only present on the RCA and XLR outputs. Why is that? What could it be?

Last edited:

Solveit

I took a chance and plugged in my headphones. There are no pops in the headphones. Pops are only present on the RCA and XLR outputs. Why is that? What could it be?
Broken, return it.
I have two running two way active with coax input and fixed volume, balanced output.
Never had any problems it just sound very good.

UA8890

Broken, return it.
I have two running two way active with coax input and fixed volume, balanced output.
Never had any problems it just sound very good.
I was not lucky. There was a defect, a defect, probably. He sounds good. Agree. It is not easy to return from us to China. And very expensive. $35 or more. No guarantees. Upon return. I bought it on Aliexpress. The warranty return period from Aliexpress has already passed. If your DAC doesn’t make noise when switching inputs, it means my copy is defective.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
The SMSL M300SE is a simple thing using the XU-316 for USB Input and 2 CS43131 DACs.

I use an app I can define the resolution and frequency and then done this to see how the M300SE manage high resolution and oversampling.

No problem at 32bits and 44.1 x16 for the XU-316. I understand the micro controller send data via I2S to the the DACs at the right number of bits and frequency.

Top Bottom