• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New S.M.S.L. M300 SE 120$

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Happy owner of the upgraded M300 SE.

Bought it because of USB and Tosling input (so it works in my TV Corner for both my Raspberry Pi streamer via USB and my crappy Samsung Smart TV via Toslink) and its balanced outputs. Both Toslink and USB work without hitch. No noise or 'microclicks'.

Feeding a pair of Adam Audio TV5s via balanced and an ancient active Gale subwoofer via RCA. Noticed some pops when my Macbook connects to the Pi streamer via airplay at the start of a listening session, but that can be the PI (Moode Audio). No issues apart from that, particularly when listening via Toslink. Amazing little unit and the wife loves it due to its diminutive size. Would have no problems using it as my main DAC in the main listening room.

Last edited:

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Would have no problems using it as my main DAC in the main listening room.

This is my use case. Main DAC in the main listening room. Before it was the SMSL C200 but I am always curious to know where is the limit of inexpensive gear. And I like the fact is can run XLR and headphones at the same time!

Currently this is the M300 and the Fosi BT20A pro.

The same with computers, I started to use the Radxa X2L, cost is 45€, as my main computer. Low cost, low consumption, enough power, especially when the job is to develop apps running on servers in the cloud.

Last edited:

srkis

It would be wiser to use RCA splitters to hook up both the amp and sub to the M300 SE's RCA output.
View attachment 337682

A balanced line out should only be used with balanced line inputs.
Since finally gotten XLR to RCA interconnects, tried them. Not an issue of any kind. Maybe if had the hearing abilities of a bat and a gear like of the Queen of England would have noticed something weird... That said, now the M300SE RCA output is used for the active sub. Clockwork!

Last edited:

ttsukamoto

I recently compared the M300 SE to the Audient ID4 mkII and confirmed that Audient has better sound quality. The sound of the ID4 mkII is more flat and has a better presence in lows. Contrastingly, the M300 SE sounds with less power in lows, as if it were connected to smaller speakers.

bobmitchum

Happy but confused/new owner, here: AND, w/ a really basic connection question ===

I purchased a 1.1 a couple of weeks ago, and am using it with a pair of Tannoy Gold 7's - powered monitors. The sound is excellent, but I can only get sound via the following connections:

Lenova laptop (playing Pandora) out via USB port, into a USB to a 3.5mm jack ---
Then a 3.5mm jack cable to the 3.5mm SE port in rear of SMSL - which I thought was OUTPUT. (along with the XLR cables going to speakers)

No sound at all when I plug the 3.5mm into the lower left coaxial INPUT and pull up COAXIAL on the front menu.

But - I get sound when I plug the 3.5 into the SE port

And - sound goes out when I use the volume control (up or down) on the remote. It resumes when I hit the mute button.

And now I see the photo below from the SMSL website - showing what looks to be diagram instructions to utilize the lower right corner power
port in the rear (USB C) for a USB INPUT.... which I plan on doing tonight as soon as I get home.
USB from laptop port cabled into the USB C port in photo below.
My hope is to be able to use the M300SE as a DAC & preamp/volume control feeding into the Tannoys.

I also got a WIIM Pro - but I ain't getting that thing near this situation until I get resolution on the basics...
I just joined and have read all pages on this thread - appreciate any and all comments/suggestions and counsel you folks choose to share ...
Cordially,

Attachments

• smsl rear.png
    smsl rear.png
    221.2 KB · Views: 43

KaeliKoo

My USB cables are not connected. They are excluded. The pops come on the bare DAC from the rca and xlr outputs. (This is shown by a connected multimeter. During the clap, the DC voltage surges up to 3 volts). I tried different power supplies. I also tried power bank. It did not help. The popping noise is especially loud when switching inputs on the DAC.
I tried an SMSL C100 with AKM chip several months back and it had the same clicks you describe - they weren't very loud but I followed up with Aoshida and the tech said that will occur with the few SMSL dacs with no Aux power...sometimes. Replied "thanks for letting me know that critical info" and sent it back. The C100 sounded fine thru USB & Opt, but the clicks became annoying. The M300SE I have does not have the clicks and I usually use the Aux power.

Last edited:

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was thinking of buying this M300 SE or the C200, anyone uses this SMSL M300 SE connected to a PC by USB, i read that can be noisy?
I will use the USB connection to a PC,so any info on the USB part would be appreciated. I see it has 2 USB inputs as well.

bobmitchum

Well, last night when I got home I plugged the laptop from it's USB port into the M300SE's "power" USB - and am happy to report that everything
works, and works well. All functions work as they should, and all is well.
I have to say - instructions were not very clear on using what is labelled as a power input as a source input.
Anyway - it sounds pretty darn good, and per Kegemusha's question above - not noisy in the least.
USE THE LOWER POWER PORT (USB) for your source input ,,,
I am now going to try using the upper power port (marked 5v) w/ an outboard power supply I'd read (in review of the M300SE) improves the sound.
I will report back on that later this week.
Thanks, this is a great and very helpful site !!!

UA8890

I tried an SMSL C100 with AKM chip several months back and it had the same clicks you describe - they weren't very loud but I followed up with Aoshida and the tech said that will occur with the few SMSL dacs with no Aux power...sometimes. Replied "thanks for letting me know that critical info" and sent it back. The C100 sounded fine thru USB & Opt, but the clicks became annoying. The M300SE I have does not have the clicks and I usually use the Aux power.
Smsl m300se DAC....I contacted the seller of the DAC and smsl engineers about the claps in the acoustics when the DAC was turned on, when the sample rate of the track was changed, when a signal was applied to the DAC. When changing the inputs of the DAC there is a popping sound. They could not guarantee me that this would not happen when replacing this DAC with a new DAC of this model. I assume that either the DAC I received was defective or defective. Or in the design of the DAC itself there is a usage scenario in which popping sounds occur in the acoustics. For example, when used with different amplifiers, DAC pops may or may not be heard. They even told me that this is the work of the DAC chip. My source is optical or coaxial from Wiim pro. There are pops on all outputs of the M300se DAC. Now I use two DACs: Topping dx3pro + and Topping E30ii lite. Absolutely transparent DACs. No popping, clicking, or crackling noises when used in all my scenarios. Quiet when turning on and off, when changing frequencies, when changing inputs. I forgot M300se like a bad dream. Even sending it back to China costs about a third of the cost of the DAC. Moreover, there is no guarantee that this defect of the DAC itself or its design will be corrected. I'm glad if this DAC works well for someone. But after this DAC, I took the DACs already tested and measured by Amirm on the forum, using the recommendations of the respected Toku, (thank you very much to them!) and they work perfectly and transparently, and without pops and clicks in any conditions. This is my experience.Please note: I am writing through a translator, there may be translation errors.

Last edited:

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Those are my worries. This M300SE seems to have noises, so maybe the C200 is a better alternative for me. I want a dac/amp for headphones.

Last edited:

godzinilla

Hello. I have a question about connecting multiple devices to this DAC/AMP and about the general autio quality in comparison to Zen "Stack" (Zen Dac V1 with Zen Can).

When the active speakers are connected throught XLR rear outputs will this dac gave me an audio output simulatenously throught the front outputs too or output need to be manualy selected on the screen (without simulatenouslyplaying?)? The Zen CAN audio outputs are always active, no matter which connectors are attached (it is able to play music from all connectors simulatenously).

What do you think about overall audio quality between it and Zen DAC with Zen CAN? For music listening (mainly Tidal) I am connected via USB to my PC, but for gaming (with Dolby Atmos on) I am using single ended input directly from PC to CAN. But I have an optical output in my motherboard so single ended will be replaced with optical and used for gaming as it is now.

Thank you.

UA8890

Hello. I have a question about connecting multiple devices to this DAC/AMP and about the general autio quality in comparison to Zen "Stack" (Zen Dac V1 with Zen Can).

When the active speakers are connected throught XLR rear outputs will this dac gave me an audio output simulatenously throught the front outputs too or output need to be manualy selected on the screen (without simulatenouslyplaying?)? The Zen CAN audio outputs are always active, no matter which connectors are attached (it is able to play music from all connectors simulatenously).

What do you think about overall audio quality between it and Zen DAC with Zen CAN? For music listening (mainly Tidal) I am connected via USB to my PC, but for gaming (with Dolby Atmos on) I am using single ended input directly from PC to CAN. But I have an optical output in my motherboard so single ended will be replaced with optical and used for gaming as it is now.

Thank you.
In the settings you can switch: 1) the signal goes to all outputs, front and rear. 2) the signal goes only to the rear outputs. The front ones will be disabled. Press the volume knob and then rotate it to select the desired output mode. It's in the instructions.

godzinilla

In the settings you can switch: 1) the signal goes to all outputs, front and rear. 2) the signal goes only to the rear outputs. The front ones will be disabled. Press the volume knob and then rotate it to select the desired output mode. It's in the instructions.
Thank you for the reply. Does it affecting the maximum output volume range - is somehow divided between all outputs?

I was also looking for the detailed information about the maximum mWa and V on the outputs and did not find ones.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thank you for the reply. Does it affecting the maximum output volume range - is somehow divided between all outputs?
You can use Line out and Headphone out simultaneously and the maximum output power won't be affected.

Plugging in multiple headphones is generally not recommended.

I was also looking for the detailed information about the maximum mWa and V on the outputs and did not find ones.
This is the full extent of what we know about the M300 SE's headphone output power:
202306031406108336.jpg

You can convert mW to Vrms using Ohm's law, e.g:

148mW @32Ω equals sqrt(.148*32)=2.18Vrms
15mW @300Ω equals sqrt(.015*300)=2.12Vrms

godzinilla

You can use Line out and Headphone out simultaneously and the maximum output power won't be affected.

Plugging in multiple headphones is generally not recommended.

This is the full extent of what we know about the M300 SE's headphone output power:
View attachment 348333

You can convert mW to Vrms using Ohm's law, e.g:

148mW @32Ω equals sqrt(.148*32)=2.18Vrms
15mW @300Ω equals sqrt(.015*300)=2.12Vrms
Thank you for clarification. I am not listening on different outputs on the same time. I was curious if bothering with switching outputs is required in this device - as you said in previous post it isn't.

About volume. I am curious what amount I can get from it in opposite to my Zen Dac v1. It outputs:
Audio RCA (SE) — 2.1V fixed
1V ~ 3.3V max. (variable)
4.4mm (BAL) — 4.2V fixed
2V ~ 6.2V max. (variable)
My active speakers are Presonus Eris Studio 4 with input impedance 2kΩ . When I connect them balanced to the Dac with variable volume control I am listening quite loud but comfortable at half vol scale (knob at 12H). For the 1H~2H it is starting to be too loud for me (on the monitors GAIN knob is set to default half position). For the headphones (using mainly for gaming - Hifiman Sundara closed which are 20Ω) knob positions are similar.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Those are my worries. This M300SE seems to have noises, so maybe the C200 is a better alternative for me. I want a dac/amp for headphones.

If you want a DAC/Amp for your headphones the M300SE should not be the first choice. There is no amp circuit, the headphones output are connected to the Cirrus Logic CS43131 directly. It means power is limited (but usable depending on your headphones).

The C200 or DL200 use some amp circuit with Texas Instruments OPA to provide enough power for 99.99% headphones. Certainly a better choice for headphones than the M300SE.

Maybe the DL200 is a bit better. It is less expensive than the C200 and has a newer XU316 for USB input and a newer DAC.

TRS output at the back have more space for connectors (it's a problem with the C200, you have to find little connectors).

The DL200 does not heat as the C200, display is more legible

But the DL200 take more volume on your desk.

Last edited:

UA8890

If you want a DAC/Amp for your headphones the M300SE should not be the first choice. There is no amp circuit, the headphones output are connected to the Cirrus Logic CS43131 directly. It means power is limited (but usable depending on your headphones).

The C200 or DL200 use some amp circuit with Texas Instruments OPA to provide enough power for 99.99% headphones. Certainly a better choice for headphones than the M300SE.

Maybe the DL200 is a bit better. It is less expensive than the C200 and has a newer XU316 for USB input and a newer DAC.

TRS output at the back have more space for connectors (it's a problem with the C200, you have to find little connectors).

The DL200 does not heat as the C200, display is more legible

But the DL200 take more volume on your desk.
Everything is correct. Cheap. There is balance and everything else on the m300se. But in practice it is a crude, unfinished design. This is not a DAC for 2024!

Solveit

Everything is correct. Cheap. There is balance and everything else on the m300se. But in practice it is a crude, unfinished design. This is not a DAC for 2024!
For me it was a bargain with coax input and XLR output.
I never touch it just flip my master power switch on for amps and those two Dac's and everything just works.
But for all-in-one DAC I don't know, maybe to much to ask for that money.
Even in 2024.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Could you explain what is crude and unfinished design with technical terms please?

And when the M300SE uses the last XU316 and the last Cirrus Logic, why it is not a 2024 DAC?

From my point of view this is an excellent unit with a trick: the Cirrus Logic contains a lot of functions inside the silicium so you don't need a lot of components around to build a complete DAC. At the moment you also use the 5V from external, this is another source of savings and at the end the cost is really low. But functions are here and measurements also. This is the best bang for your buck in 2024 and I am ready to explain that from a technical point of view.

This is Audio Science Review, we need data and not romantic point of view: other websites are doing this kind of jobs.

Last edited:

UA8890

Could you explain what is crude and unfinished design with technical terms please?

And when the M300SE uses the last XU316 and the last Cirrus Logic, why it is not a 2024 DAC?

From my point of view this is an excellent unit with a trick: the Cirrus Logic contains a lot of functions inside the silicium so you don't need a lot of components around to build a complete DAC. At the moment you also use the 5V from external, this is another source of savings and at the end the cost is really low. But functions are here and measurements also. This is the best bang for your buck in 2024 and I am ready to explain that from a technical point of view.

This is Audio Science Review, we need data and not romantic point of view: other websites are doing this kind of jobs.
If the DAC in certain scenarios allows pops, clicks, or crackles in the acoustics, this is a technically unfinished design. If you slowly turn the volume knob of the m300se DAC, then the indicators on the display do not work. Doesn't always work. Misses triggers The knob turns slowly and the indicator on the display does not work. This is enough to consider the design unfinished and imperfect. I contacted the seller and smsl engineers, - and they did not guarantee that in the new DAC of this model that was replaced, these shortcomings would be eliminated. Not guaranteed for this model. If the DAC is not defective, then it is not technically perfect! I have Topping DACs. I don't see any such shortcomings. Topping is doing well, as I wrote above. With such an abundance of DACs on sale, the m300se should not perform so well to compete with other DACs.I am writing through a translator. There may be an incorrect translation

Last edited:
Top Bottom