• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New S.M.S.L. M300 SE 120$

UA8890

@GGroch @renaudrenaud Tell. When turning the DAC on and off. When changing DAC inputs. When changing the playback of tracks with different sampling rates. Are there any pops or clicks in the acoustics? I have some that are quite loud and unpleasant. Is this a design defect or do I have a bad copy?I'm using Wiim pro source. This is not the case on other DACs. On smsl m300se I have claps in both channels, in both columns.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
@GGroch @renaudrenaud Tell. When turning the DAC on and off. When changing DAC inputs. When changing the playback of tracks with different sampling rates. Are there any pops or clicks in the acoustics? I have some that are quite loud and unpleasant. Is this a design defect or do I have a bad copy?I'm using Wiim pro source. This is not the case on other DACs. On smsl m300se I have claps in both channels, in both columns.
Ha yes, I've just tested changing the sampling rate from 44.1 to 96kHz and there was some electric noise in the amp. It was not too loud and less than one second. From my part I don't care too much, I can perfectly live with that. Not sure it is not from the amp when there is no signal. It's late here right now, I will test it tomorrow , today I spent too much time working and now it's time to waste my time listening to music with my spouse near me.

ttsukamoto

I got an m300se and tested it for a small while. I found it has weaker base and perhaps less 3-dimensional sound than my old RDL HR-DAC1, the latter is more true to the source.

UA8890

Ha yes, I've just tested changing the sampling rate from 44.1 to 96kHz and there was some electric noise in the amp. It was not too loud and less than one second. From my part I don't care too much, I can perfectly live with that. Not sure it is not from the amp when there is no signal. It's late here right now, I will test it tomorrow , today I spent too much time working and now it's time to waste my time listening to music with my spouse near me.
Please test it. Also test switching DAC inputs. With the DAC running. From the remote control or front panel button. There is also a popping sound when switching DAC inputs.Yes, the claps on the acoustics are less than a second. But they are unpleasant.

KaeliKoo

After your post I turned on the DAC again. I don't hear micro-clicks. I am 63 years old and my hearing is no longer what it was when I was young. But I invited younger friends to listen. I didn't warn them for micro-clicks. They also did not hear anything abnormal. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? (Should there be microclicks when connecting a computer via USB? Or not only? When and under what conditions should microclicks appear?) I used the USB cable only to test the DAC. In my DAC scenario it is not needed. I'm listening to the Wiim pro stream - optics - DAC - amplifier - acoustics.In this circuit I changed the DAC to Topping dx3pro+. In a blind test, all other things being equal, identical conditions, neither I nor my friends could notice or determine the difference in sound.
Using this DAC almost daily for 6 months, with firmware upgrade. Have never heard microclicks or any clicking noise. USB & optical always connected. Sounds better than any AKM dac I own, only use remote for adjustments. Great DAC imho.

kodreaming

I am getting the static/popping sound a lot when nothing is played.
I got it from Amazon last week and it says Upgraded. I assume mine has latest firmware and I don't have a windows machine to try to the upgrade...
Feel this might be going back.

Any similar products to this one? I really like the combo of features that just fit my need (XLR for active speaker, Bluetooth Receiver to stream from my Vinyl streamer).

Last edited:

UA8890

@kodreaming @renaudrenaud Describe when you hear electrical pops. I hear them when changing the inputs of the DAC, when changing the playing track at different frequencies, when the DAC is turned on and a signal is received on it.

kodreaming

Definitely when changing inputs and when I start/stop, worst part is, it will have that pops sound even when there was nothing playing.

UA8890

Definitely when changing inputs and when I start/stop, worst part is, it will have that pops sound even when there was nothing playing.
Thank you. I realized this is a crude design. I thought it was a defect. Just me. This is a bad design.

kodreaming

Thank you. I realized this is a crude design. I thought it was a defect. Just me. This is a bad design.
Not sure this is just a bad design, this is a defect. Even when I don't play anything, I will hear the pop. Also msged them on Head-Fi, they responded are you using USB, and I answered yes, no more responses...

UA8890

Not sure this is just a bad design, this is a defect. Even when I don't play anything, I will hear the pop. Also msged them on Head-Fi, they responded are you using USB, and I answered yes, no more responses...
I wrote to them too. I get a pop in my acoustics. I measured the voltage when clapping. I completely disconnected everything from the DAC. When clapping, my multimeter showed 3 volts!!!! DC!!! It should not be!!! I wrote to them. Measure your DC voltage when clapping. On a clean DAC. Disconnected from all sources. USB has nothing to do with it. Cotton is always coming.

UA8890

@renaudrenaud renaudrenaud promised to check the claps. And I didn't check. If you promised and said it, then fulfill it?

Last edited:

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I use:
  1. the M300SE
  2. M300SE XLR output to Topping L70 XLR intput
  3. Topping L70 RCA output to Fosi BT20Pro
When I first used the M300SE with the FOSI, it was directly from the M300SE to the Fosi. II was able to hear some ground noise when changing the input or turning off the M300, a ground problem because I guess the M300 mutes the output and offers no grounding.

Today I tried the M300SE connected to the Topping, using the Topping L70 as an headphone amp and a preamp for the Fosi. With different audio format, 16/44 and 24/96, I was unable to hear any click or noise during the test. I suppose the L70 maintains the groundig.

Last edited:

Leonm771

I am getting the static/popping sound a lot when nothing is played.
I got it from Amazon last week and it says Upgraded. I assume mine has latest firmware and I don't have a windows machine to try to the upgrade...
Feel this might be going back.

Any similar products to this one? I really like the combo of features that just fit my need (XLR for active speaker, Bluetooth Receiver to stream from my Vinyl streamer).

Have you change USB cable?

The original USB cable is literally TRASH.

I had few issues with og usb cable, crack sound , DAC non-stop disconnecting.

After using samsung buds USB-C TO USB-A cable , all of these issues gone!

The og USB is unqualified product.

and there is some 'microclicks' issues related to CS43131. Some people claims set the volume under 70% can avoid it.

Last edited:

UA8890

My source is Wiim pro. There is no computer. Claps go to the acoustics. When you turn on the DAC. when changing DAC inputs. when changing the track sampling frequency. For example from 16/44 to 24/192. There's always a pop. 2 claps. Almost simultaneously. Very unpleasant claps. very annoying.

kodreaming

Thank you!!!

I switched to an apple USB-C cable and no more static popping while play/stop.

Yes, there are still popping sound when switch source, but I can live with that.
Looks like I speak too soon. As I am typing this, I heard some pop sounds 10 seconds ago while there is nothing going on...Err, this is so frustrating. I guess this is where what you get you pay for come in...

Top Bottom