• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New S.M.S.L. M300 SE 120$

audiofun

Sorry I'm not technical, but would a firmware upgrade give my previous version of this device the filter ability?
technically speaking, with same hardware, it is possible to dump firmware form new device and flash it to the old device, even if the manufacturer does not release the new firmware.

rostek6

I asked the manufacturer to remeasure and repost the graph. it should be fixed now.
So mystery is solved - they've changed it :) I hope, that new graphs are correct, I mean that new filters are correct.

Hope that another mystery will find its solution - are there infamous microclicks in updated version. Hope not, I wish to buy m300se but I'am a little afraid..

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I asked the manufacturer to remeasure and repost the graph. it should be fixed now.
2023-07-31_06h25_55.png

Fixed one.

I just turned 70 and had involuntary hearing firmware updates installed over the last few years. Sadly, the new filters are not relevant for me.

Leonm771

As I wrote before, I can't detect any microclicks on my device. So I'm just a little surprised. To clarify, you were listening to the original file from that russian site on your M300 SE and at -23.4dBFS volume (how did you set that on your DAC?) you could hear the microclicks? And then your DAC stopped for a second and then continued playing? Thanks for a brief explanation.

I can only confirm how the DAC stopped for a second , about the volume of DAC more than 30 (max is 40) , not sure the exact number . At least I can tell volume ( 23/40 ) is safe.

Solveit

Is it headphones out you hear it?
I use coax in and XLR out and don't here any clicks.

rostek6

Maybe there is depencency between clicks (power saving mode) concerning way of powering the device? (data plus power in same cable vs separate cable for power and separate cable for data)?

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
the version 1 m300se can be upgrade here. Thanks
1691031497064.jpeg

Leonm771

View attachment 302987
omg , best news today.

Leonm771

View attachment 302987
I stuck at step 8 . "detecting the target MCU" , I pressed the input selection and waited like 3 mins , nothing change.

update : I change the bits per/s from 9600 to 4800, and it's working now.

mrmeng430

Non technical guy here. My computer has no serial port, what options do I have to upgrade this firmware?

rostek6

I stuck at step 8 . "detecting the target MCU" , I pressed the input selection and waited like 3 mins , nothing change.

update : I change the bits per/s from 9600 to 4800, and it's working now
Could you please give an info: has the firmware update helped to solve dac stopping issue?

MBO

So some more information about the sound quality of the M300Se after a successful SW update:
The microclicks are still there, but! with the setting Digital Filter 5 NOS there is no such thing!!!
At least I don't hear anymore.
That says the whole problem lies with the digital filter on chip.
I would argue that CS43198 and CS43131 sound best on Filter NOS anyway, I could see it on my other devices with the same chipset as well.

!In addition, I don't hear any microclicks with the setting: Fixed. This is very good news!

So, after the SW update, the M300SE just sounds fantastic, but don't forget that I modified my device, that makes a big plus for the sound. So with a good PSU the M300SE would be almost a reference DAC without any fun....

Next, regarding previous posts, DACs from AKM have never been really good except maybe AK4395 which is a cheap copy of CS DAC though... If you go into details go and you will see that.. Velvet Sound series is just fool.., this is not high-end, especially AK4499 absolutely wrong development.., you can hear that too..

The best of Delta Sigma DACs are CS/Crystal DACs (CS43122; CS4396,97,98; CS43198/131) and now also ESS DACs from HyperStream 4..

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tried every combination of speed settings, port 3 is listed, but on the Windows 10 & 11 this program won't update. I can't understand what it's saying, since it's not translated. I've never seen such a poor quality firmware updater. I've built computers for 35 years and buy $6,000 a month in audio equipment, and have flashed a LOT of things. This app looks like it was written by a student in the 1990's. I've got a SU-8s and DO200 MKII with this M300SE, and suddenly I don't care if I ever buy another SMSL DAC ever again. This is the 2023 way to flash firmware, with a program that has potential to brick a device? Why are they selling in the U.S. market with that's not even in English using COM ports? If it hadn't failed on both computers running two different OS's I would have given them a pass.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On my Win 11 computer, it did not update until I switched to the USB cable that came in the box. The one I had been using worked fine for transmitting audio, but not for updating. It did say to use the original cable in the instructions. Single cable, connected to the upper USB port.
I noticed that when I had the correct cable attached and first powered on, the associated Com port appears in the task manager.

The instruction are correct, and I think nearly all the clicks are illustrated, even if the buttons are not in English.

Last edited:

taudier

So some more information about the sound quality of the M300Se after a successful SW update:
The microclicks are still there, but! with the setting Digital Filter 5 NOS there is no such thing!!!
At least I don't hear anymore.
That says the whole problem lies with the digital filter on chip.

The microclicks problem lies on the class mode AB or H, it is written in the cirrus logic datasheet, and it is shown in the RAA article you linked. If you can't hear it with the NOS filter for some strange reasons, an audio measurement might help.

I don't know why SMLS does not state about that whereas many forumers want to know. Ibasso makes no secret with their DCO4pro about that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom