• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz PM-90 Review (Vintage Amplifier)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@restorer-john do you have a service manual for this PM-90? I can't find one without giving my credit card info to some weird looking web site. I'm curious about that power supply arrangement with the dual transformers. Perhaps they use the transformer secondarys like that Denon amp we looked at ~month ago.

Newman

Major Contributor
So, this amp's Class A mode is effectively a con for the many gullible audiophiles who imagine(d) they can hear an improvement.

Dogen

Forum Donor
That is truly a classic visual and functional design that will never look dated, and a beautiful non-black finish. I wish manufacturers competed more on looks - I think it’s a big factor in purchasing.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Out of curiosity, who was Marantz' parent company at time of this amp's manufacture?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
A large (min 1KVA) stepdown (120:100V). Running a big 100V Japanese model on 120V is not a good idea, especially in Class A where they run hot enough as it is. They have no regulation for the main amp rails and the extra 20% voltage may well push the main filter caps outside their WV. The heatsinks are marginal in Class A as it is.

My PM-95 is a 220V and 240V switchable. They felt it important enough to provide twin primary taps for both Europe 220V and UK/Aust 240V at the time.
I was also going to mention that it is not a good idea to run a component designed for 100V on 120V, but you beat me to it, and for all the same reasons I would have given. :cool:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Out of curiosity, who was Marantz' parent company at time of this amp's manufacture?

Philips. This was 1991 and the very last amp BEFORE they started adding HDAM.

KEFCarver

Like the review of Older Gear like this! It looks like you used the same signal levels for testing both the MM and MC- wouldn't the MC be less..?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Question for the technical experts here including @amirm since he brought up the "pattern" of distortion. If you cut off the distortion at -110dB and compare it to 3 other "interesting" amps tested here, it seems like the Marantz PM-90 has lower 1st and 2nd order distortion.

If you cut off the graph at -100dB, there is no distortion at all on PM-90, but on the other 3, which have lower overall THD, you actually have distortion above -100dB.

1) What does this mean if you're playing a source <100dB in dynamic range?
2) Would potentially cleaner AC power translate into better measured performance in this particular case where there are high AC harmonics?

Upper left: Marantz PM-90, Upper right: Schiit Aegir, Lower Left: PS Audio M700, Lower Right: Accuphase E270

1632021569976.png

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
@restorer-john do you have a service manual for this PM-90?

I've got it somplace in a printed version, but not easily accessible. The block diagram for the PSU is in the link above. I've got the PM-95 S/M (printed), but it is completely different is every respect, although they were both built on the same chassis and have somewhat similar looks.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One more question.

Here are two amps. The right one is mirrored, so you can look at 20W and down for easy comparison.

If I'm looking at the colors correctly, 500Hz is the top most which suggests that the amplifier on the right is worse in the 500 Hz range up to about 20W, even though the 1 kHz and 5kHz are clean?

Left is Marantz PM-90
One of the Hypex NC252MP tested here.

1632025263980.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It looks like you used the same signal levels for testing both the MM and MC- wouldn't the MC be less..?
It is. I use 5 mv for MM and 0.5 mv for MC. The dashboard is showing the output, not input.

Hiten

For a 30 year old amplifier phono preamplifier response is excellent considering low signal levels. Was this amplifier in use till recent past or not in use ?
thanks for the review
regards.

Top Bottom